Did They Really Change My Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just had the oil changed (maybe) in my 2015 Chevy Malibu with 43K miles on it at the shop. I supplied my own oil and filter. Oil was Mobil 1 full synthetic 5W-20. I drove it 7 miles home and checked the oil to see if it was full. I noticed that the oil was much darker than when I had changed it myself. When I have changed it myself before, the oil would be almost clear on a paper towel with just a slight tint of brown. This oil is much darker. Can oil change colors that fast or did the shop simply not change it? I attached a picture. Thanks for your help.

WIN_20191122_223943.JPG

They probably didn't change it. If you had a vacuum extractor you could pull out a sample.

Is the oil filter a metal can or cartridge style? I would check that as well if you can.

Originally Posted by JC1
They probably didn't change it.

+1

Usually when I change the oil on either car below, for the first few days it's so clear that I usually cannot tell where the level is on the dipstick.

The oil in the pic looks like it's been used a while.

Only way to ensure this never happens again, is to DIY.
On a car like a 2015 Malibu, I cannot see that being much of a task for the average Joe.

They kept your oil (to take home for personal use), probably put on the new filter though.

I think a lot of the scammy oil change places assume that someone coming in to have work done don't know how to pull their own dipstick.

Im going to say, yes, they did, based upon the fact that when I wipe the dipsticks on my vehicles, near the end of an OCI, the spot on the paper towel is significantly darker than the one in the pic you posted.

How many miles on that OCI? Even if you only had like 5000 miles on that oil, it will likely be darker than that.

If it's darker than what you remember it being when you changed it yourself, it could be because, being in business, they may not have let as much of the old oil drain out as you do. Maybe they slapped the plug back in as soon as it became a trickle. In that case, what's left of the dirty old oil may have darkened your new M1.

Did you provide them with a new oil filter? If so, did you check to see if they installed it?

You can also check the drain bolt. The grime around it will have been disturbed if it's recently been removed and re-installed.

They were in a hurry. Didn't get all the old stuff out. Walmart's notorious for filling to the spec'd amount and making it look over filled because they left several ounces in the sump. If they did nothing, I think it would have looked darker.

The place I use gives me a free tire rotation. They're smart enough to let if fully drain while they rotate. Oil is totally clear.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by csandste
They were in a hurry. Didn't get all the old stuff out. Walmart's notorious for filling to the spec'd amount and making it look over filled because they left several ounces in the sump. If they did nothing, I think it would have looked darker.

The place I use gives me a free tire rotation. They're smart enough to let if fully drain while they rotate. Oil is totally clear.

I believe this is the most accurate explanation.

Yes most likely it didn't get drained very long and a bit more then usual old oil was still in the engine and discolored the new oil.

For me, it's hard to say just from pictures. Could be they did a quick spill and fill and that's why it looks dirty. Not saying that's acceptable but it's not "fraud" on you either, just poor practice and bad customer service IMO.

Go back tomorrow and ask for the empty jugs. Make up some excuse why you need them, i can't imagine garbage got picked up overnight.

Last edited:
without getting into oil quality, price, etc. sometimes when I change brands and/or types (i.e. Syn vs. dino), the oil comes out much darker than normal and the next fill would also get darker much quicker than average/normal ... and eventually everything settles. I've experienced that several times and after spending more time on bitog, I learned what could be causing this ... I think! lol but that's another story/thread.

Do you remember what oil went in the last 2 times before the shop oil change?

Also according to experts, a little of left-over oil = better tribofilm ... and not necessarily a bad thing!

Really I can't tell much from the paper towel pic alone. Ime, a better indicator is looking at the dipstick. After I change oil and filter, the oil looks very clean and clear and it's much more difficult to see it and discern its upper most point on the dipstick. So, that would be my comparison. If it looked much less than that description, I'd be suspicious too. I would say, it does appear not as clean as one might expect from 7 mi. on a fresh oil change.

Perhaps in the future ask for the empty jug back, or go elsewhere.

I'd suggest doing your own changes in the future. You already bought your own supplies, might as well finish the job and do it yourself. Get yourself a cheap oil container, and take the spent oil back to any part store that recycles oil. It's very satisfying knowing you changed your own oil,and you know for certain you got what you paid for!

My guess is they did a real fast who did it and ran oil change. As already mentioned, if you can extract a small sample via the dipstick tube and hold it up to the light you'll have a better idea. It really sucks when you have to worry about if the work you paid for was done correctly or not.

Naturally being on Bitog, diy is always preferable. That said, I don't know the OP's physical health, age and living status ie., area available for diy.

If the OP has an interest in diy I'd also suggest a set of ramps, Rhinos have been good to me and others on Bitog. For more information on how and where to acquire see this post.

Back to topic, doesn't change that the OP 'should' be able to trust the establishment to do what he paid for. As noted, could just have been a very quick oil drain and hopefully the filter was changed. I guess the old adage trust but verify fits here.

The lube place I go to allows me into the work area to observe the plug removal and drain. I'll say something like "would you mind if I watched the oil drain out so I can see how it looks after 5k?". They also use a dedicated lift for oil changes, the one closest to the waiting room. You can watch the whole process thru the window. Great peace of mind.

Originally Posted by Aredeeem
The lube place I go to allows me into the work area to observe the plug removal and drain. I'll say something like "would you mind if I watched the oil drain out so I can see how it looks after 5k?". They also use a dedicated lift for oil changes, the one closest to the waiting room. You can watch the whole process thru the window. Great peace of mind.
Indeed! I'd say you found a keeper of a "lube place".

Reminds me of DT for tires. They allow me to enter the shop to check my brake pads with each rotation and there is an observation window in every store lobby I've been in, some even have stools to sit on at the window. Or one can watch from the outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back