What is your favorite airline and why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I travel a decent amount for business. Meaning I fly 2-4 times a month. Since I live 35 miles south of the Atlanta airport, I use Delta exclusively.

I didn't used to when traveling on personal time. It was all about the lowest fare and getting there during convenient times for me. I used to wonder why people that flew frequently on business loved Delta sooooo much. Now I know why.

It's because they are better, they have the largest fleet, they have the most flights. No, they aren't always convenient, but flying from Atlanta, I can get most anywhere non-stop.

I think they try their best to be the best.

Also - everyone in the air travel industry can spot a veteran business traveler from someone that isn't. It's easy. Also, on a Delta flight, there is a marked difference in level of service with regards to freebies you can get if you are sitting in front of the wings versus not. Sometimes I get on an earlier flight, which I forfeit my "good" seating, so this is a good way to see the differences. Granted, free alcohol and such is standard with Comfort Plus and of course First Class, but there's other small things.

Whichever offers a free cocktail with the flight!
Had that on a trip to Hawaii, made me want to travel to that destination again merely for that tasty Mai Tai!
beer3.gif

the longest I've done was houston-dubai with emirates, 16.5hrs, managed to get quite loaded 3 times lol - miss those flights!!!

Even when flying international, my routes keep me on domestic airlines for the most part.

I fly mostly American because I'm coming from EWR/PHL/DCA mostly, and that's what covers the most routes.

Ive had others swear by Southwest but I've not been incredibly enthused compared to other airlines.

Flying has gotten better in the last 2-3 years since most planes have rolled out the newer, thinner seats that slide the cushion and the back. A decade ago my knees were always in the seat back and in pain. Now not so..

But just thinking about flights I've taken in the last few years...

International carriers:
Turkish airlines stood out for food and service, and I've found that the Turks are really good with kids, both flying on the airline and in person. But I'm not a user of any of the super luxury Arabic or Asian airlines.
Finnair was clean and pleasant, as was airberlin, which I think went away. British airways was fine but I had a decent seat on a 777, don't know thst it was particularly special.

For domestics, routinely flying in the cheap seats, Ive found that United is the worst - in the cheap seats there is the least knee space and the seats are the most uncomfortable. American is middle of the road, but the headrests don't go high enough. Delta seems to have more space, better seats, and the new cabins have better infotainment. As an example, on American (Im gold status there) , I have to use my own device to watch, and for example, I was going back and forth to the west coast a lot, and was watching Chernobyl. American only offered episodes 1-4. Fortunately Delta had episode 5 in the seatback tv. Southwest has ok seats, but that's assuming you can get a decent seat before a ton of others.

But for me it's all about comfort in the cheap seats. I'm not judging qualifications, staff, attendants, on time performance, etc.

Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
Whichever offers a free cocktail with the flight!:

That turns out to be one [censored] expensive cocktail. I like Spirit for the cheapest no frills fares.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Originally Posted by Lolvoguy
Whichever offers a free cocktail with the flight!:

That turns out to be one [censored] expensive cocktail. I like Spirit for the cheapest no frills fares.

Until they leave you in Detroit, next flight isn't for 24 hours. Because they canceled the flight to NYC.

Southwest is probably the best for domestic flights.
Delta is great if you want to experience vintage iron. They have plenty of it in their fleet.
UA and AA are certainly okay as long as you can live with no legroom in the seats most of us pay for when we actually have to bear the cost ourselves.
Certain airlines are best avoided if you really need to be somewhere at some given time since in the event of a long delay or cancellation they have no way of rerouting you. There you sit while your cruise leaves port or a wedding ends without you. You pay cheap you get cheap.
Overall, air travel is cheap and convenient on most any carrier.

Originally Posted by parshisa
the longest I've done was houston-dubai with emirates, 16.5hrs, managed to get quite loaded 3 times lol - miss those flights!!!

Love the 3 times line … we were taking the 17-18 hour SQ37 back when. One of the Louisiana guys came in for the first time. Asked him how he liked that flight. Said had 3 meals, 3 movies, and fell in love 3 times !

For me it was TWA. So since they are no longer, Airlines since them have simply just gone to [censored] and as much as I love to fly, I hate the current crop of dollar store quality flights on pretty much all regular carriers.

#1 Delta
#2 Southwest

Although the past few years I've had increasing delays with Southwest. They run their schedule razor thin.

EVA Air (Taiwan)
Yes, it's the Hello Kitty airline.

Just about any Asian airline beats the customer service on US domestic airlinea.

Not me … whilst I have enjoyed flights on those airlines … the whole ME hub concept is not for me.
They always want me on two long hauls instead of one long haul and a short flight …

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back