GM dealer oil change: Who makes their oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by oldhp
It's hypocrisy at it's best. "We suggest you use only (fill in manufacturer name here) engine oil meeting (their special specs here)", but yet the dealers use the cheapest bulk oil that they can buy. But if a engine problem arises............"We need the receipts of all your oil changes, since you didn't do it here."
Funny how that works...........

100% agree!

I bought my Buick used from a GM dealer and when I asked them what oil they used he said Mobil. I said so you don't use AcDelco oil and he said nope only the filters are AcDelco.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
. . . Of course the oil changes are prolly seen as a loss leader for the dealership. The idea is just to get you in there so they can pitch you XYZ...but if you resist the temptation, sales pitch.. it's not a particularly bad deal for a dealership oil change.

This particular dealer, the one from which I bought the Park Avenue 12 years ago, has never tried to upsell me on things. Their oil change/tire rotation package is not only a bit cheaper than my independent could do both, they're open on Saturday mornings, and they're located near my barber. I drop off the car, walk down, get sheared, walk back, and the car is usually ready. I check the oil level and color to keep them honest -- but I've yet to have a problem with them.

Originally Posted by Benzadmiral
. . . Of course the oil changes are prolly seen as a loss leader for the dealership. The idea is just to get you in there so they can pitch you XYZ...but if you resist the temptation, sales pitch.. it's not a particularly bad deal for a dealership oil change.

This particular dealer, the one from which I bought the Park Avenue 12 years ago, has never tried to upsell me on things. Their oil change/tire rotation package is not only a bit cheaper than my independent could do both, they're open on Saturday mornings, and they're located near my barber. I drop off the car, walk down, get sheared, walk back, and the car is usually ready. I check the oil level and color to keep them honest -- but I've yet to have a problem with them.

What is the name of this dealership so other members here can go there if they are in your area?

It is extremely rare to find a dealership that will not upsell you wallet flushing services. With that said I now dealing with Sheehan GMC in Pompano Beach Florida and Paramus Chevrolet in New Jersey and so far they have not pushed wallet flushing services on me.

Originally Posted by Tahoe4Life

What is the name of this dealership so other members here can go there if they are in your area?

It is extremely rare to find a dealership that will not upsell you wallet flushing services. With that said I now dealing with Sheehan GMC in Pompano Beach Florida and Paramus Chevrolet in New Jersey and so far they have not pushed wallet flushing services on me.

It's Crown Buick on Clearview Parkway in Metairie, LA. (Insert usual disclaimer here about not having any interest in Crown Buick, etc.) I haven't been there (except to verify that my '16 LaCrosse is still under factory warranty) since early this year, so I hope they haven't changed their management or customer-relations style.

A point in their favor: Brad, the guy who sold me the PA in 2007, still works there as a new car salesman!

Originally Posted by Tahoe4Life

It's Crown Buick on Clearview Parkway in Metairie, LA. (Insert usual disclaimer here about not having any interest in Crown Buick, etc.) I haven't been there (except to verify that my '16 LaCrosse is still under factory warranty) since early this year, so I hope they haven't changed their management or customer-relations style.

A point in their favor: Brad, the guy who sold me the PA in 2007, still works there as a new car salesman!

+1

Yeah I thought GM had an ongoing relationship with Exxon-Mobil which required them to factory fill all new GM vehicles with Mobil oils.
Who knows what they use at the GM-branded dealership service departments...

Originally Posted by DGXR
Yeah I thought GM had an ongoing relationship with Exxon-Mobil which required them to factory fill all new GM vehicles with Mobil oils.

When I retired they were using Mobil in engines and PetroCanada for the ATF. But that's been 11 years and one bankruptcy in the time since.

Update. I checked with my Dodge dealer about oil change on my Challenger R/T. They use Mobil Super bulk oil. Amazing. Dodge/RAM/Jeep/Nissan dealer...... I asked if I could bring my own oil/oil filter as I wanted Pennzoil PYB 5W20, Mopar SRT oil filter. Yep. "We charge $22 to do that and we check everything under the car and in the engine compartment." I told them I wanted them to do it because of warranty reasons. "No problem, we'll do it and record it." Perfect.

P.S. I get to watch them too as they touch my baby!!!

A few years ago in upstate New York GM oil was Mobil. A dealer to whom we were selling Quaker State, told us all about it when he switched when his contract expired.
Dealers have been under varying degrees of pressure to use OEM oils. Some of the tactics fall just short of coercion and extortion. The early OEM programs included extra incentives to the dealer, such as a generous allowance on parts returns. To a dealer who doesn't need a check from an oil company, that's very attractive.
I've sat across from dealers who've I sold to for years, and we genuinely like each other, and have been told it just isn't worth resisting the OEMs any longer. They've just made it too hard. That was selling premium brands. Selling cheap oil is something altogether different. Almost every dealer is interested, if it's cheap enough.

Originally Posted by Scuder
A few years ago in upstate New York GM oil was Mobil. A dealer to whom we were selling Quaker State, told us all about it when he switched when his contract expired.
Dealers have been under varying degrees of pressure to use OEM oils. Some of the tactics fall just short of coercion and extortion. The early OEM programs included extra incentives to the dealer, such as a generous allowance on parts returns. To a dealer who doesn't need a check from an oil company, that's very attractive.
I've sat across from dealers who've I sold to for years, and we genuinely like each other, and have been told it just isn't worth resisting the OEMs any longer. They've just made it too hard. That was selling premium brands. Selling cheap oil is something altogether different. Almost every dealer is interested, if it's cheap enough.

Makes sense, at least from the OEM's perspective. For pretty much eternity, dealers have been servicing cars with the cheapest stuff they could get their hands on, even misleading their customers into using intervals that drastically exceeded manufacturer recommendations. To reinforce their dealer's value proposition, and to get customers into their service departments (and show-rooms) more often.

With the revelation that cheap oil changed too frequently was causing the intake clogging issues with DI, and damaging the OEMs reputation (dealers are viewed by the public as being direct representatives of the OEMs), they had to act.

Running big secret shopper audit dragnets would require too much technical testimony and cost if a dealer had to be penalized by the OEM for abuse. Proving motor oil / lubricant fraud isn't cut and dried like it is with other kinds of auto maintenance fraud.

Really unfortunate for the honest dealers who were being supplied premium in-spec products by bulk distributors on good terms. But the damage to lease residuals, the warranty claims, the loss of repeat business is just too much for OEMs to tolerate.

Originally Posted by pitzel
With the revelation that cheap oil changed too frequently was causing the intake clogging issues with DI...

I've never heard this before. All the information I've read says the opposite regarding intake valve deposits.
Lot's of theories out there...

*Using Top Tier fuel and sticking with OEM oil recomendations
*Using GrpIV oils only
*Using low SAPs or Mid SAPs
*Using low TEOST GrpIII
*Using low Noack GrpIII at OEM recommended oci
*Using low Noack GrpIII at no more than 5k ml oci
*Using GrpII at no more than 5k ml oci
*Using oils containing the least amount of calcium additives (T-GDI) (d1G2 or SN+ took care of this)

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3792192/1

The stock oil that a local Chevy dealer near me uses is Northland, which does recycled oil like Safety-Kleen. When I was in there buying a vehicle last June, I was talking to the shop manager and they were looking at another supplier. They get the best bid on an oil that meets the GM specs. They stock some Mobil 1 for those the want it or specific engines that may call for it, but it is not their bulk supply. It is just that simple. Many GM dealer's bulk oil supply is not AC Delco or any other major name brand. Several dealers near me get oil from nearby distributers that source their oil from Warren Distribution which has a blending facility across the river from Omaha, NE.

The Northland oil that I mentioned the local Chevy dealer uses for their bulk supply goes under the label of Synergy Synthetic OE. And yes, it is on the approved Dexos 1 Gen 2 list in both 0w20 and 5w30 formulations.

Update. I checked with my Dodge dealer about oil change on my Challenger R/T. They use Mobil Super bulk oil. Amazing. Dodge/RAM/Jeep/Nissan dealer...... I asked if I could bring my own oil/oil filter as I wanted Pennzoil PYB 5W20, Mopar SRT oil filter. Yep. "We charge $22 to do that and we check everything under the car and in the engine compartment." I told them I wanted them to do it because of warranty reasons. "No problem, we'll do it and record it." Perfect.

Same here in Milwaukee. The local GM dealer uses Mobil bulk oil, something meeting D1g2 specs.

I'm sure it's fine, but I normally take in my own oil and filter. Lately that's been RGT 5W-30.

Mobil Super meets warranty requirements.

Had the same experience at a Chevy/GM dealer in Greenwood, SC.....Gary Russ Chevy.

I'd just purchased an '03 Silverado with 108K on the odo.....back in Oct. 2013. Went in to have the trans filter changed...usually it's just a drain and fill scenario (they had a quite inexpensive deal going on for GM trucks at the time for this.)

Talked with the service manager....it was just as they opened (hey, I'm retired so I do have a tad of free time, so no problem being somewhere when it first opens, provided I can motivate my dead behind out of bed.....lol!) I proffered the coupon for the trans special and before I could even get anything out my mouth other than "I have a coupon for your truck trans service," he stated the shop would NOT flush the trans, esp. since I had no documentation showing the tranny had ever been flushed before and the truck was over 100k on the odo.

Sort of a reverse upsell.

Contrast that to a Lexus dealer outside Boston I visited in 2012. We'd just purchased an '06 LX470 but it came with a single key. (Got an excellent price for it and the seller did reimburse us for the exorbitant cost of getting a second key made for it.) The dealer did the usual while they had it.....inspection, wash, vacuum, etc. Then we get taken in to one of the service writer offices where the guy says.....BOTH exhaust manifolds were cracked and needed replacing immediately and the vehicle was unsafe to drive in its present condition. The estimate for doing it was a couple thousand dollars.

Now, I may be a trusting soul, but I've heard cracked exhaust manifolds in my life and this Lexus was just [censored] quiet when running...no evidence of any cracks, leaks, etc. in the exhaust system. I declined and declined and declined the repair despite his ever increasing warnings of us asphyxiating ourselves as we drove. Drove off after 30 min. of refusing them to work on the truck & finally got the key that was made. Wife was sorta freaking out......

A week later go to the Toyota dealer in Hyannis on Cape Cod to have the timing belt/water pump on it replaced....and wouldn't you know it? Their mechanics could not find any exhaust leaks, even with the fancy printouts that the Lexus dealer provided detailing the "problem" and its implications, i.e. death while driving. (Used the Toyota dealer because the repair cost $775 from them vs. the Lexus dealer's $1242 quote for the same job.)

Talk about a screw job from the Lexus dealer. Sham all the way.

So, there are good dealerships and not-so-good ones. All depends upon who the service managers are and if higher ups in the dealer are pushing to extract every last penny from customers, reputation be [censored].

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back