Bond Arms Rowdy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought one in 410/45. Didn't need it just wanted it. Considering the rep of this maker online I was a little disappointed when I first opened the box. Every control was gritty and hard to operate. The hammer cock was almost a two hand operation. The break open release wouldn't smothly move a complete stroke every try. Near as I could tell it didn't have any oil on it. Every review I saw mentioned the trigger was pretty heavey but once I put a few strategic drops of oil on the controls and hammer spring guide the trigger became almost alarmingly light to me (when dry firing I was catching the hammer with my thumb) but the grittyness went away. I didn't disassemble for any of this just removed the grips. Then I noticed the trigger pivot pin end under the break down lever had been pounded pretty good but wasn't flush with the frame. The opposite end was a couple 64ths from flush to the inside of the frame. I couldn't find any indicators of the gun ever being test fired and it may be a while before I get a chance to fire it myself. Anybody else have experience with these guns? Is it worth contacting Bond Arms about? Thanks for reading.

The Roughneck and the Rowdy are their budget derringers. Theres a reason they're 260$ or less while the others are 500$+

I havent shot or held either, but in 410/45 I have fiddled with both the Defender series as well as the Snake Slayer series, both were lightyears ahead of what you're saying.

Contact Bond, their customer service is pretty good. One of the next pistols I'm going to get is the Bullpup9

Yeah I got it off gunbroker.com out the door for under list price but I've bought cheaper guns than this new that came out of the box and functioned and looked flawless. I've also had to send a new Mini 14 back that wouldn't put a shot on paper from 50 ft. Just my luck I guess.

Originally Posted by faltic
Yeah I got it off gunbroker.com out the door for under list price but I've bought cheaper guns than this new that came out of the box and functioned and looked flawless. I've also had to send a new Mini 14 back that wouldn't put a shot on paper from 50 ft. Just my luck I guess.

As I said, I'd contact bond. But at the same time, it is their budget line, so I wouldnt expect same build quality as their derringers 3-4x as much.

i had exact same problem as o.p. with a new bond arms roughneck 357/38! i already have a couple of regular gen2 (better action, indented trigger, wider hammer spur) b.a. derringers purchased both new and used with several barrels (my crazy indulgence), and wanted to try b.a.'s new, cheaper, less polished line. big mistake, imho b.a. has strayed badly from its airtight reputation. my roughneck wouldn't swap barrels and would lock up after shooting its two rounds-i had to pry open the lever on the edge of the wooden shooting bench. after a frustrating 30 minute phone discussion with a reluctant b.a. customer service rep i finally got permission to return it to b.a. at my shipping expense for free warranty work. it was returned in a week, better but not great. i sold it with full disclosure. my humble advice but ymmv: stay far away from the rowdy/roughneck models and look for a decent used original gen2 in any caliber and add your favorite caliber barrel. since original b.a. derringers are built like brick outhouses a used one should be confidently in decent shape.

"The Roughneck and the Rowdy are their budget derringers. Theres a reason they're 260$ or less while the others are 500$+"

I knew this before purchasing. According to b.a. they only reduced time spent on polishing the gun but you wold still get the same basic quality firearm of the upper end models.

"Their customer service is pretty good".

jstert miight disagree. On what do you base the above statement, only having "fiddled" with a couple b.a. guns before?

"One of the next pistols I'm going to get is the Bullpup9"

Good luck with that, it's your money. Any gun design that needs special coatings or grease on parts to function reliably isn't on my list.

Last edited:
Something tells me you will never be happy with your purchase. The same feeling tells me that you're going to air all your frustrations on this forum and any positive input will be ignored. Just a hunch.

Originally Posted by Red91
Something tells me you will never be happy with your purchase. The same feeling tells me that you're going to air all your frustrations on this forum and any positive input will be ignored. Just a hunch.

Tell me more Carnac. LOL

"The Roughneck and the Rowdy are their budget derringers. Theres a reason they're 260$ or less while the others are 500$+"

I knew this before purchasing. According to b.a. they only reduced time spent on polishing the gun but you wold still get the same basic quality firearm of the upper end models.

"Their customer service is pretty good".

jstert miight disagree. On what do you base the above statement, only having "fiddled" with a couple b.a. guns before?

"One of the next pistols I'm going to get is the Bullpup9"

Good luck with that, it's your money. Any gun design that needs special coatings or grease on parts to function reliably isn't on my list.

Well. Let's see.
Ive owned 4 of their derringers, with 6 additional barrels, including a Snake Slayer (45/410 like you the OP wants)
I live literally 2-3 hours away from their factory in grapevine, I've never had an issue with their customer service, in fact if I ever had an issue I could pick it up from there.
Oh, and I know exactly what you're saying about the bullpup, again, I can easily get said products to properly take care of it.

Theres nothing wrong with bond arms. At the same time, cheaper budget models across all companies (not just gun exclusive) are gonna be rougher than the more expensive models. Its the name of the game "you get what you pay for"

Last edited:
I don't know what purpose these things serve. I literally have no clue.

Cool little blasters for the gun range maybe?

Why not buy an "actual" gun that can be of actual use, for the same money?

Originally Posted by bubbatime
I don't know what purpose these things serve. I literally have no clue.

Cool little blasters for the gun range maybe?

Why not buy an "actual" gun that can be of actual use, for the same money?

I have actual guns but I also have what I'll call toys that are guns also. Not practical just fun and interesting.

I have no wish to rain on any bodies parade just expect a product to be as advertised. They say the same just less finished. I don't read it the same just less finished and carefully assembled. More curious than concerned with what the responce to my email to b.a. about this will be. BTW I'm guessing you didn't notice the condition of the trigger pivot pin under the break down lever on any of you b.a. guns did you?

I have no wish to rain on any bodies parade just expect a product to be as advertised. They say the same just less finished. ?

i'm with faltic here. b.a. advertised its rowdy/roughneck budget line as less finished but no less capable. b.a.'s words, not my assumption. i have other b.a. derringers, both new and used, and they work. sadly, at least in my own case, the rowdy/roughneck was less capable. ironic because i actually liked the feel of the duller, less smooth surface finish. by comparison i recently acquired a ruger wrangler: the less refined, cheaper, value edition of the single six. for the money, ruger hit a home run with the wrangler, proving that the value concept can be successfully implemented. bond arms swung and missed for me but ymmv.

By the end of the post someone is gonna wish they bought a CZ instead. Just a thought or hunch. They look neat but two shots might be a little too little capacity.

Originally Posted by jstert
I have no wish to rain on any bodies parade just expect a product to be as advertised. They say the same just less finished. ?

i'm with faltic here. b.a. advertised its rowdy/roughneck budget line as less finished but no less capable. b.a.'s words, not my assumption. i have other b.a. derringers, both new and used, and they work. sadly, at least in my own case, the rowdy/roughneck was less capable. ironic because i actually liked the feel of the duller, less smooth surface finish. by comparison i recently acquired a ruger wrangler: the less refined, cheaper, value edition of the single six. for the money, ruger hit a home run with the wrangler, proving that the value concept can be successfully implemented. bond arms swung and missed for me but ymmv.

Well said thanks

Originally Posted by Red91
Am I wrong?

Unlike you I'll have to wait till the fat lady (b.a. tech support) sings. Wondering how many days or even if they'll get back to me. Your prophecy?

It looks like bond arms will continue to ignore my email qeary but I have some additional info on my gun. Oiling the new gun that was recieved dry seemed to help the gritty action but I found if I left it for a day or two then tried it some of the grityness returned. Dry firing it with snap caps was ununsatisfying. when i went to remove the snap caps one was stuck WTH. Pushed the snap cap out with a cleaning rod and when I handled it it was very gritty. I had put a couple of oily patches thru both barrels previously. anyway decided to go nuclear. remover the rubber grips and hosed it down with break cleaner inside out from all angles used almost a full can. Once it dried I tried it before putting any oil on it. the difference was night and day. It must have had leftover blast media all in it. I couldn't see it but I could feel it. The gun now operates better than I had hoped. All my guns but one have been bought new and never a problem like this. YMMV

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back