Camry exhaust downpipe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have the annual inspection coming up, and I know the flex pipe looks bad. I'm not convinced it's not leaking. I had it replaced two years ago for $220 (I can't weld); looking at Amazon I think I can buy a pipe + cat for less and probably install myself (the bolts on the manifold are free, the rest I think can be cut off?). I'm guessing it would be of dubious quality, of course, but still. If a repair isn't going to last two years, and a replacement pipe who knows how long, then the cheaper fix should win, right? just feels wrong...

If I just let the shop replace the flex pipe (again), can I ask to see if they can use something higher quality? 2 years for an exhaust component makes me wonder what decade it is.

Me thinks JohnnyJohnson has made a very valid point. Not with it lasting only 2 years.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by supton
Have the annual inspection coming up, and I know the flex pipe looks bad. I'm not convinced it's not leaking. I had it replaced two years ago for $220 (I can't weld); looking at Amazon I think I can buy a pipe + cat for less and probably install myself (the bolts on the manifold are free, the rest I think can be cut off?). I'm guessing it would be of dubious quality, of course, but still. If a repair isn't going to last two years, and a replacement pipe who knows how long, then the cheaper fix should win, right? just feels wrong...

If I just let the shop replace the flex pipe (again), can I ask to see if they can use something higher quality? 2 years for an exhaust component makes me wonder what decade it is.

Had the same issue with my 98 Sienna. After getting a new Flex pipe welded on, it lasted about 2 years. After that I found a shop that locally sold the flex pipe and section. Needed to weld it onto the Cat. Just keep in mind some of those bolts from the header easily get stripped and the OEM nuts are a one use only item. I had to get them from the dealer. Be careful when tightening them. I used air guns and screwed them up a few times and I needed to go back to the dealer and get extras.

It you buy OEM it's 5 times the price but they last 10-12 years. It's usually not worth most people's money to so that with a Toyota.

Get a better quality flex pipe and use clamps if it is between 2 straight pieces. If it needs welding get a high quality one with liner and have it welded in with tig or mig using stainless wire. Some options..

https://vibrantperformance.com/cata...;osCsid=13e678ed0cdccbbc510ee24cdcb42aa0

https://rev9power.com/exhaust/exhaust-flex-pipe.html

If using clamps do not use the garbage U clamps use the Torca AccuSeal, i linked to the 2" as an example, they are stainless with grade 12 hardware.

https://www.bearriverconverters.sto...-steel-narrow-band-exhaust-clamp-as200ss

There are a lot of non-stainless flex pipes out there. Buyer beware.

This is for both the sections and the parts built into cats/ headers.

I would take it in as is, to see if it passes. Stuff a rag in the muffler with it idling to see if it leaks-- if it's strong, it'll blow the rag back at you.

Thanks all. I'm going to see if it passes, if not, then I will raise a stink with them about it (going back to the same shop).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back