Tesla Cybertruck

LOOKS SELL!

I don't claim to like the styling and probably would avoid it due to the primitive look of the thing.

However, the shape does have a certain "technical" appeal. As the angled flat bed cover is a huge aerodynamic improvement over an open bed. I'm 100% certain the application of careful styling could result in equal capability and far better looks. Bottom line: Looks sell!

We operate a Eurocopter. Quite frankly, it's beautiful and therefore the boss wanted it. But it does NOTHING an ugly Bell heli at 1/3 the cost can't do.

[Linked Image from cujet.com]

[Linked Image from upload.wikimedia.org]

Last edited:
Think they're bringing air over the bed. One thing an electric can do is sharpen the nose. ICE trucks still need the big face for cooling.

0908921D-0906-4CA0-90E6-6797B2E054EF.jpeg

Last edited:
I thought it was crazy last night, and still do, but less surprised haha. But honestly it's growing on me. I think it's pretty cool

Originally Posted by PimTac
I'm surprised no one has asked if it can handle 4x8 sheets in the back.

Doesn't look like it. Its butt ugly!

Last edited:

You mean like a majority of trucks on the road that also have 6.5' beds?

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson

Doesn't look like it. Its butt ugly!

I agree. It looks like Elon tried make it look like a stealth fighter jet but forgot about the stealth part. It really sticks out and that is a double edged sword.

It should excel at 4x8 sheets, theres no wheel wells in the bed. As long as the tailgate has a flat setting it will haul flat sheets well. If you need to haul something tall like bookcases standing up you can kiss your range goodbye. I figured Elons truck would have some crazy aerodynamics but this has blown me away, not in a good way. In fact just driving that without the roller tonneau closed will be a range hit. So the 500 mile truck in the winter with a tall load could be cut way down to 150 miles.

Originally Posted by Skippy722
Originally Posted by dareo
The motortrend article claims 3mm 301 stainless is the material for this vehicle. That has to cost an absolute trucking fortune to buy, machine, tig weld, ect.

While being less corrosion resistant than 304. Why so thick though? 3mm is 0.118", it will certainly be built like a tank!

Maybe no frame?

5D227304-1942-40F5-B520-F4587841E178.jpeg

Last edited:
The truck market seems an ideal place for electric, at least for fleet and work trucks. High torque motors, large carrying capacity, and low maintenance and operating costs would seem ideal. Most business vehicles travel day. I expect the Tesla will release a cargo van version, which would be a big seller IMO.

Tesla Cargo Van? No way. Can't do stupid aero tricks with a giant brick Van body.

Originally Posted by NO2
The truck market seems an ideal place for electric, at least for fleet and work trucks. High torque motors, large carrying capacity, and low maintenance and operating costs would seem ideal. Most business vehicles travel day. I expect the Tesla will release a cargo van version, which would be a big seller IMO.

This is where EVs should be making inroads. A company like Amazon could be getting EV vans into their fleets. Utilities and municipal trucks are another target. Yet we haven't seen this happen yet.

Tesla Cargo Van? No way. Can't do stupid aero tricks with a giant brick Van body.

I think you can if they're governed at 55 mph.
grin2.gif

Somebody designed a vehicle actually uglier than the 2019 Silverado....................

Hard to believe.

Originally Posted by Skippy722
The motortrend article claims 3mm 301 stainless is the material for this vehicle. That has to cost an absolute trucking fortune to buy, machine, tig weld, ect.

While being less corrosion resistant than 304. Why so thick though? 3mm is 0.118", it will certainly be built like a tank!

The truck does not have a frame, and it is not a uni-body truck. It is an exoskeleton so the rigidity comes from the skin of the truck. The truck is built the same way an airliner is built. Interestingly enough, if I understand right, the Honda Ridgeline is an exoskeleton as well.

Back