SUV tires vs passenger car tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the difference between these tires:

Goodyear eagle f1 asymmetric 3 SUV
and
Goodyear eagle f1 asymmetric 3.

The load and speed rating is the same but the price is different, though. What exactly makes them different? Can I use the cheaper tire designed for SUVs on a passenger car?

Most SUV tires come in SUV sizes instead of passenger car sizes. Some come in both sizes. I'm thinking that you may have to visit the G/Y site to see each tire & its exploded view of the tires. Most SUV tires have stronger/reinforces sidewalls to prevent maring/cutting while offroading.

Depending on your particular SUV(size & weight), you may be able to use either F1 Asymmetric 3/F1 Asymmetric 3 SUV.

I used passenger car tires in the proper size on my wife's Lexus RX as it was more carlike in its everydayness. So, depending on your vehicle and how you're going to use it, is what tire do you'll want & use.

Good luck,

CB

Last edited:
There may be a difference in tread depth as the vehicles that typically fit those sizes are heavier and may see off-pavement use. They may also have different sidewall styling.

Most of it is marketing and possibly even retailer specific. I used an "SUV" tire on my Mazda6 and didn't think anything of it. Personally, I would get the cheaper one. My current ride has a common SUV size but it's just a station wagon. 235/50-18. I run Michelin PSS in the summer.

What tire size are you looking at? They definitely do not have the same tread pattern. Looking at Tire Rack, I can't find any tire size overlap, are you sure both models have the size you need?

It looks like the passenger version is a run flat tire while the SUV version is not. I don't want a run flat tire. They should have classified the tires in a customer friendly way. So the people know what they are buying.

The size I need is 215/45R17.

Not sure what you are checking but US page for Goodyear does not list such size.
Tirerack has some leftovers in this size (2 tires?) but I do not see them listed as ROF.

KrzyÅ›

Originally Posted by Ded Mazai

The size I need is 215/45R17 ...

That size is NOT an SUV tire size.

Usually SUV tires are bigger, might have deeper tread, and sometimes a more rugged construction, like a 2 or 3 ply sidewall vs a 1 ply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back