Rescuing a critically sluged 6.4 F-350

Everything after the 7.3L Powerstroke not only had issues - they were disasters. The 6.7L the jury is still out, but they are definitely not the same type disaster engines as the 6.0 and 6.4. 7.3L was relatively solid - but they are also old now - so that brings some issues. Many 7.3L did - and will go a million miles.

I have only ever owned one sludged up motor and the only way I knew it had sludge issues was from cutting open the oil filter. Whats the filter look like on your 6.4 when you change it? Is it full of junk or just black like normal?

Originally Posted by tundraotto
Everything after the 7.3L Powerstroke not only had issues - they were disasters. The 6.7L the jury is still out, but they are definitely not the same type disaster engines as the 6.0 and 6.4. 7.3L was relatively solid - but they are also old now - so that brings some issues. Many 7.3L did - and will go a million miles.

Yeah, I am only at 300k...just a baby in my mind. I hope it'll do 500,000. I'll re-evaluate at that point. one does have to be ready to address all the O-Rings and sensors when owning or purchasing a 7.3, but those are age related and not Ford/engine related...IMO. Even if it does leak fuel or oil, as long as it is not catastrophic, it'll get you where you need to go....for a long time until those can be addressed. I had an o-ring blow out on my fuel bowl on my current truck. I was 2 hours from anything in the middle of nowhere Wyoming. so, I drove it while getting about 9 mpg over the 17 it normally gets. Yes, the diesel smell stunk, but for $15 and an hour of my time, I fixed it and was down the road.

I like the 7.3, I really do I had one for a long time. But after towing with the newer engines it's just no contest. The 7.3 is no longer a viable option for me when I tow. The 6.7 is a monster compared to it even with all the emission stuff (which I don't mind BTW) Not trying to turn this into a debate because I understand both sides. If I was the OP I would carmax the truck and find something a little newer in good shape. I know budget can be an issue but the 7.3's are getting real old now and could turn into money pits themselves. Not the engine per se but all the other stuff.

This is why I recommended a 6.0 (more power and better driveline than the 7.3) and doing the proper mods/upgrades for the known issues. They are reliable once you address them with proven long term solutions. There is no DPF to worry about either.

If you want to deal with the emissions or delete them , the 6.7 is the winner IMO. They are very strong engines and their only weakness is the fuel system. If you run OEM filters, with some fuel additives to add lubricity, the fuel systems last a LONG time (tens of thousands of engine hours).

Last edited:
You can make the 7.3 feel like a monster as well with minor mods and be well bellow what a 6.7 equiped truck costs
11.gif

Originally Posted by BeerCan
I like the 7.3, I really do I had one for a long time. But after towing with the newer engines it's just no contest. The 7.3 is no longer a viable option for me when I tow. The 6.7 is a monster compared to it even with all the emission stuff (which I don't mind BTW) Not trying to turn this into a debate because I understand both sides. If I was the OP I would carmax the truck and find something a little newer in good shape. I know budget can be an issue but the 7.3's are getting real old now and could turn into money pits themselves. Not the engine per se but all the other stuff.

Yeah, everyone has their likes and preferences, It's America for that reason. I don't think it's a debate. I think it's more "why I like this or that" and that's good. We all learn when going back and forth.

I love both of our ranch trucks. Both are deleted and care is taken to make sure the fuel systems are protected. I have had poor running 7.3s as well. What NIGHTMARES those two trucks were. They were that way due to lack of good maintenance and use though, not because International made a bad product. I am sure in 5 years I'll end up with a 6.7 because the 7.3 s will just be too old to keep going, but we shall see.

Last edited:
Yeah I can agree with that, horses for courses. If I needed only a farm truck 7.3 would be on my list. I guess that because I tow distance my opinions are what they are. As you said the freedom to choose is a good thing.

Long live the 6.0 PSD! You can find them for a good price these days and if treated right and maintained, they tow great and last!

I'm in Ocala and might think about selling you my 05 F350 if you're interested.... only 135k on it and runs like NEW.

Originally Posted by racin4ds
Long live the 6.0 PSD! You can find them for a good price these days and if treated right and maintained, they tow great and last!

I'm in Ocala and might think about selling you my 05 F350 if you're interested.... only 135k on it and runs like NEW.

I would definitely own a 6.0 if it had already been through some of the "bulletproofing"....though I know that is a loose term. They don't scare me. I have ridden in some good ones for sure. I'd delete everything EGR related and basically do what Bulletproof Diesel on AZ does to them. After that, I'd drive the heck out of it.

IMO and from experience, the "bulletproofed" 6.0 is the PSDs best kept secret. Many people are afraid of them and people that know what they're doing with them can get them for a steal.

Last edited:
Yes sir... Although mine is not studded (and doesn't need to be) it has had everything else done to make it reliable. It is an awesome truck and works for a living, not a pavement princess like many of the kids that own them.

EGR cooler was pulled and welded shut when it had 20k miles on it. Still on there and looks functional but doesn't allow it to inhale its own smut
Coolant system was flushed thoroughly and real diesel ELC coolant used
Coolant filter installed
CAT deleted
ATLAS 40 FICM Tune along with proper FICM strategy
4" turbo back exhaust
7.3 manual fan clutch installed

Tows a 3 horse LQ all over and all sorts of other heavy things, averages 17mpg and doesn't miss a beat!

Mine has been studded, deleted and tuned with ELC coolant and a coolant filtration system for the last 6 years. It's been great since i did all that work.

Alright, stop it. I don't need another truck and now you're making me want one LOL....

You guys mind giving some detail about what you've done? I have read a ton over on the Ford truck forum, but some guys do still have problems with nipples and injectors or HPOPs. I am curious.

I have a 2007 6.0 and I have put head gaskets with studs in, deleted the cooler, exhaust, have custom tunes and a built transmission. I've only put a set of injectors in it, a fan clutch and head gaskets. It has 240k miles. All the other Updates had already been done to the engine when I bought it. I work on powerstokes for a living so I have done all the work myself. Including the cost of the transmission parts I probably have 3500$ in parts over the past 6 years. And that was all in the first 2 years of ownership (bought with 140k).

A late build 6.0 has the reliable HPOP (early builds had problems) but only requires a few things for the high pressure oil system for a permanent fix. With regular maintenance with quality oils and OEM fue and oil filters they last a very long time.

Originally Posted by mattd
I have a 2007 6.0 and I have put head gaskets with studs in, deleted the cooler, exhaust, have custom tunes and a built transmission. I've only put a set of injectors in it, a fan clutch and head gaskets. It has 240k miles. All the other Updates had already been done to the engine when I bought it. I work on powerstokes for a living so I have done all the work myself. Including the cost of the transmission parts I probably have 3500$ in parts over the past 6 years. And that was all in the first 2 years of ownership (bought with 140k).

A late build 6.0 has the reliable HPOP (early builds had problems) but only requires a few things for the high pressure oil system for a permanent fix. With regular maintenance with quality oils and OEM fue and oil filters they last a very long time.

Sound about right form what I have studied. Some have said they have left them alone and gotten 200k out of them when they get used and don't sit. Jusry is still out over here. My 7.3 is more than good, but I would like a CC Dually 4x4 manual, so I might start looking again. I'd only go 2007 just due to the HPOP stuff for sure. I do all my own work too. I was a mechanic on a drill rig for awhile and have always done everything myself on my trucks. I can't stand the thought of someone else even getting under the hood. The 6.0 actually looks fairly easy to go through and make right if a guy isn't afraid to dig deep.

Dear All,

I figured I'd drop by here and post an update. I wound up changing my ways altogether, and I feel like a new man. The 7.3 I tested for a day was OK, but I took a chance on the way home that day at the advice of a good friend and went to a Dodge dealership. I drove a low mileage 2016 3500 Tradesman with the 6.7 Cummins I6 in it. Regular Cab. Long Box. 4x4. Folks, I hate to say it after 30 years of Ford, but I bought that truck then and there and I have no regrets. I appreciate and understand the Cummins engine and the engineering. I'll be able to take care of it after the PT warranty expires in 30k miles. Only complaint is I think I prefer the stiffer feel of the Fords, but the 3500 doesn't squat too bad under a lot of weight like I thought it might. I am not fond of the DEF crap, but we'll see about that modern vicissitude in ... oh about 30k miles.

I said this in a response to another thread, but it seems that Ford has chosen a route which produces a ton of ponies and torque using a somewhat fragile design. The thing I have always loved about the diesels is their efficiency and relative simplicity. The Cummins is still relatively simple, and has more pulling power than most of us will ever need or use. Thanks again, all! It was fun posting on here instead of using this site as a reference guide. I appreciate the hospitality and patience a great many of you showed me. Happy Holidays, and so long for now.

Good choice and have fun. I'm of the opinion that the big 3 all make good trucks so you should be happy. I only disagree with the 6.7 being fragile .... It had some teething pains but it seems sorted now.

Great choice in truck and powerplant, just remember to keep up with its scheduled maintenance. The emission stuff is very robust on the 16+rams. I have one closing on 170k with the stock emission stuff.

We all have personal preferences. ALL big 3 trucks have something to offer. I have owned and worked out of all of them and any one is a good truck with their own demons. Enjoy it!

Back