Vehicle speed while passing

Status
Not open for further replies.
For passing on a 2-lane, it's pedal to the floor unless I'm going downhill, or the speed difference between my car & slow car is sufficient that I don't have to accelerate appreciably to complete the pass safely.

I don't have a set speed that I go by for passing, I use whatever speed it takes to get by them that gets me out of the way of oncoming traffic the fastest!

As far as normal driving, I'm comfortable 10-over. If the flow of traffic permits, such that I'm confident I won't be a target for cops, I'll go faster. I will absolutely pass to maintain that 10-over, but lots of things go into that decision like the area I'm in (city/rural), the road, likelihood of cops nearby, presence of cross streets, amount of traffic, etc..

2-lane passes I always go pedal to the metal. I also get a running start at times, backing off a few car lengths then speeding up while the last oncoming car is making its way past me. Final check for all-clear while I can still brake and abort.

I always look at the driveways. A car coming out can turn right without looking and be right in my face.

Problem in NH is with drivers who drive 10 under then speed up to 10 over just before a passing zone. Difficult to not engage the ahole but its not worth it.

Originally Posted by BAJA_05
I set my cruise control 3mph over the speed limit. State Trooper told my buddy one time -- " 3mph your fine -- 5mph your mine!!!" I will never forget that.

On the highways in nj it's about 15 mph over before you need to worry about the NJSP. You best stay to the far right lanes in nj if you're only going 3mph over the limit.

The people that get my goat are the ones that drop down to 15 mph under the speed limit on rural roads on the curves and speed up to just over the speed limit in the passing zones.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
I usually set my cruise to 10 over.

Anyone not going that speed or faster gets passed.

I don't put a limit on my speed when I pass. I make the pass as quickly as possible and get back over.

+1 10 over on the freeway for me. Usually 5-7 on regular streets (usually 45 mph limit here).

But the Jeep isn't so much of a freeway cruiser. I usually stick closer to the speed limit.

The law where I learned to drive, on a two lane, was pass "with possible safe haste." Makes sense if you think about it.
I got stopped by a local sheriff here for passing a line of cars at 78 in a 45. He cut the gray haired motorcyclist a break when I told him about the possible safe haste rule, He agreed.

Smoky

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
I usually set my cruise to 10 over.

Anyone not going that speed or faster gets passed.

I don't put a limit on my speed when I pass. I make the pass as quickly as possible and get back over.

+1

Especially if the person is operating their vehicle in an unsafe manner like texting, I GTFO of there as soon as possible to distance myself from them.

My rental Ford Escape was limited to 80mph. Passing a semi, he sped up and so did I. I couldn't pass him and oncoming traffic then created a near fatal situation.

Never again.

Originally Posted by joegreen
Spin-off of the engine rpm's while passing thread. What speed are you comfortable hitting when passing? If the speed limit is 55 what is the minimum speed you will stay behind someone before passing?

I'm comfortable to about 15 over while passing. I'm passing if the vehicle in front of me is doing anything less than 60.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back