Door hinge pins and bushings

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 90 chevyrado ate another set of drivers door hinge pin bushings tonight. Got in it at work to head home tonight and the (censor) door wouldn't close. Had to get out and lift the door up and close it then slide in the other side. Checked it out at home in the light and wala the second set of HELP bushings had broke the shoulder off the bushing , the bushing slid down the pin and the pin worked its self up and just a little more and I think the door could have fell off of the truck. I don't think the bottom pin alone would have supported the weight of the door. So now I am not buying any more HELP junk. Any body got any opinions as to the quality of pin rebuild kits if I were to use dealer GM kits versus this junk? This is the second set that has failed in 2 years

Sometimes aftermarket parts are an improvement on a known issue, but it's far from guaranteed. I'd chase down the OE part.

I'd also have a look at why this is happening. What's the root cause? Does it hold any lubricant? Does water get in? Something else?

Seems like there must be some fundamental reason behind this besides junk parts.

Ooo thanks for the numbers and links. I got the truck in the shop and the pins and bushings pulled. I'm gonna go see the kids at my local dealer tomorrow and see what they have in stock. Tell me something though. Aren't the sintered bushings supposed to be of real hard material and not soft brass? There appear to be just normal soft sintered bronze material.

Yes thanks for the links, my 89 is just started to sag a bit. These doors on these old trucks are heavy, the hinges appear to be way under engineered for their weight.

Originally Posted by super20dan
every gm product had under engineered door pins and hinges

Compared to the nylon-bushed door hinges AMC used in the 1970s and 1980s, GM hinges were a paragon of durability.

Ive had a few gm trucks of that era, so I know your plight!
When I worked at a Gm parts counter, we only stocked the standard replacement pins and bushings because no one ever wanted to pay the big shot for the greasable kit.
The standard pins and bushings from GM are better quality than the Dorman ones, in my experience.

Originally Posted by cronk
Ive had a few gm trucks of that era, so I know your plight!
When I worked at a Gm parts counter, we only stocked the standard replacement pins and bushings because no one ever wanted to pay the big shot for the greasable kit.
The standard pins and bushings from GM are better quality than the Dorman ones, in my experience.

We have the same thing with Ranger tailgate handles and older truck inner door handles. Ford offered both in metal at one point, then changed to plastic. The metal ones still fit and never break, but they cost more.

2005 Silverado I drive for work the driver's hinge pins wore out at about 260,000 kms (160k or so). Now a couple years later at 308,000kms it needs them again. Probably dorman parts.

I should have took a close up pic of both bushings.The help ones had huge air pockets in the bushing. Looked like they were cast. GM ones looked machined with no air pockets

Last edited:
Originally Posted by P10crew
I should have took a close up pic of both bushings.The help ones had huge air pockets in the bushing. Looked like they were cast. GM ones looked machined with no air pockets

The bushings on my Blazer are cast.

The PO's of my truck never did anything about the bad bushing and let the holes in the hinge go egg shaped. Found a link online where a guy took 1/2" steel and drilled a hole for the pin and one to match the hole on the truck side hinge. Added a bolt and seems to be holding well. All that wear is on the steel now too vs the hinge holes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back