dexos 1 vs dexos 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
can please someone explain the difference?
it was once said that that the dexos 2 was for diesel but its not really only for it,in europe they recommend it,in the states with the new corvette as well,
i go to any companys oil selector and they recommend dexos 1 but also the 2(mazda cx5 g).
so my question is basically what to use,i understood that the the 2 is more robust then the 1,what else is the difference,and if its for a familiy car will there be any benefit with one over the other?can there be a downside or even worse when using the 2 over the1? doind mostly very short city trips.
tnx a lot.

Dexos 2 is a lower ash engine oil for vehicles with diesel particulate filters. It uses ACEA C3 (0.8% max ash) as the basis with some additional GM specific demands. The other key difference is that the fluid (because of ACEA C3) must have a HTHS (high temperature high shear) viscosity of greater than 3.5 cP as opposed to Dexos 1 which is greater than 2.9 cP. The lower the HTHS value the lower the fuel consumption - at least in idealised laboratory conditions. Higher HTHS values help with the higher compression and larger detonation pressure in diesel combustion.

With the exception of turbo gasoline direct injection vehicles it would be pretty safe to use Dexos 2 in place of Dexos 1. In Australia, General Motors Holden, recommends Dexos 1 in all gasoline/petrol engines but it is mandatory for all turbo charged gasoline direct injection engines where LSPI (low speed pre-ignition) is a potential issue. Dexos 2 is allowed (optional) in all non-turbo gasoline engines according to General Motors Holden. Most Dexos 2 formulations will meet/exceed API SN but may not (almost certainly won't) meet API SN Plus for LSPI protection.

Dexos 2 is also in 5W-40 viscosity grading and is in fact mandatory in some GM Diesels (from VM Motori in Italy). You will not find a 0W-20 Dexos 2 fluid due to the high HTHS requirement.

If the engine is a turbo gasoline direct injection engine vehicle, I would use Dexos 1 Gen 2 otherwise Dexos 2 should be fine.

I believe that dexos 2 is still for diesel engines however, you(we) can use diesel motor oil in gasoline engines but not gasoline motor oils(not robust enough) in diesel engines. Not sure if I said that correctly!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Petropolymers
Dexos 2 is a lower ash engine oil for vehicles with diesel particulate filters. It uses ACEA C3 (0.8% max ash) as the basis with some additional GM specific demands. The other key difference is that the fluid (because of ACEA C3) must have a HTHS (high temperature high shear) viscosity of greater than 3.5 cP as opposed to Dexos 1 which is greater than 2.9 cP. The lower the HTHS value the lower the fuel consumption - at least in idealised laboratory conditions. Higher HTHS values help with the higher compression and larger detonation pressure in diesel combustion.

With the exception of turbo gasoline direct injection vehicles it would be pretty safe to use Dexos 2 in place of Dexos 1. In Australia, General Motors Holden, recommends Dexos 1 in all gasoline/petrol engines but it is mandatory for all turbo charged gasoline direct injection engines where LSPI (low speed pre-ignition) is a potential issue. Dexos 2 is allowed (optional) in all non-turbo gasoline engines according to General Motors Holden. Most Dexos 2 formulations will meet/exceed API SN but may not (almost certainly won't) meet API SN Plus for LSPI protection.

Dexos 2 is also in 5W-40 viscosity grading and is in fact mandatory in some GM Diesels (from VM Motori in Italy). You will not find a 0W-20 Dexos 2 fluid due to the high HTHS requirement.

If the engine is a turbo gasoline direct injection engine vehicle, I would use Dexos 1 Gen 2 otherwise Dexos 2 should be fine.

tnk u for your answer,nice one.
my 2.5 non turbo skyactiv engine has relatively high compression of 14.1 i think,should i use the 1 or 2?
i know it will be ok with both but i like to use the best option not the ok one.
tnk u very much.

Not to throw a wrench in this but there is now a dexosD for the new Duramax in the 1500 pickups and it calls for a 0w-20.

Originally Posted by avi1777

my 2.5 non turbo skyactiv engine has relatively high compression of 14.1 i think,should i use the 1 or 2?
i know it will be ok with both but i like to use the best option not the ok one.
tnk u very much.

Well, it sounds like you have the solution... you just need the problem.
crazy2.gif

(you're waaay overthinking this. use what your owners manual says, more than likely a pcmo, and move on to something else worthy of your time)

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter

tnk u very much.

crazy2.gif

(you're waaay overthinking this. use what your owners manual says, more than likely a pcmo, and move on to something else worthy of your time)

like all the people on this site-)
my question was can i or is it better in a way to use the d2 over the1.
of course the car will be fine even with con oil but this site is for people who seeks the best or at least want to be educated about oil.

tnk u very much.

crazy2.gif

You have to realize MH that he has been asking the same question over and over in various forms for some time now.

Originally Posted by PimTac

tnk u very much.

crazy2.gif

You have to realize MH that he has been asking the same question over and over in various forms for some time now.

never asked about d1 vs2 dont be a hater

Last edited:
like all the people on this site-)
my question was can i or is it better in a way to use the d2 over the1.
of course the car will be fine even with con oil but this site is for people who seeks the best or at least want to be educated about oil.

Right and i just educated you in what purpose your owners manual serves. It was literally written by the guys who designed your engine...do you seriously think you know better than they in re to what lube to use?

Sorry you didn't like my answer but I think people put forth some really silly questions..like, "does wearing pink bunny slippers while changing the oil in my neighbors friends sisters cousins driveway, guarantee the right rear tire pressure is correct?"...‚... I stand by what I said. Your owners manual already answers your question, deviate from it at your own peril.

Yeah, I see that. He's been on the Motul bandwagon for a bit, extolling the virtues of that lube, now it seems that love affair has run it's course. ...‚

Last edited:

tnk u very much.

crazy2.gif

never asked about d1 vs2 dont be a hater

That's irrelevant. You've asked so many times if Spec/Oil A is better than Spec/Oil B for your engine that people here lose interest in the questions. Every time the answer seems to be "read the manual" - and then you come up with another comparison.

Wish you good luck finding the magic lube.

Last edited:
We have a 2015 Chevy Sonic 1.8l NA MPFI car that says DEXOS . As long as the oil container says DEXOS , I look for the best pricing .

Originally Posted by WyrTwister
We have a 2015 Chevy Sonic 1.8l NA MPFI car that says DEXOS . As long as the oil container says DEXOS , I look for the best pricing .

Crazy how that works..
21.gif

The OP asked a very good question. The member from Oz gave a great answer. OP asked another question … and the subject of a fairly high compression came up.

Avi … there are other members with that engine … and more good feedback will come.

IIRC … didn't the Mazda oil have a high moly content … anyone know what it was in PPM …?

Originally Posted by 4WD
The OP asked a very good question. The member from Oz gave a great answer. OP asked another question … and the subject of a fairly high compression came up.

Avi … there are other members with that engine … and more good feedback will come.

IIRC … didn't the Mazda oil have a high moly content … anyone know what it was in PPM …?

It was over 800 as I recall. It's likely the old MOS2

Originally Posted by 4WD

tnk u for that,I'm just trying to educate myself,
it seems there are people here who are just like to be rude.
all good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back