Dexron 6 or Dexron VI ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I seem to have read some time ago that there is no Dexron 6, meaning that the "VI" in Dexron VI is not a Roman numeral at all and that the VI stands for Viscosity Improvement or something like that.

On reflection, this seems pretty bogus and I am probably confused at best.

What do you think..?

Here it is.
smile.gif

EE1210BC-7E64-4BA1-81B4-8AD2610CB006.jpeg

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Warstud
If Dexron VI stands for Viscosity Improvement than what does Dexron III stand for?

No and nothing.
smile.gif

As GM improved the fluid formulations they simply upped the Roman Numeral designations skipping certain designations that might be confused with FORD and Chrysler fluids.

Last edited:
Who knows. You also have Mercon, Mercon V, Mercon SP, Mercon LV, Mercon ULV.

I keep hearing the LV and ULV being referred to as "Low Viscosity" and "Ultra-Low Viscosity", but what did V and SP stand for?

Originally Posted by brages
I seem to have read some time ago that there is no Dexron 6, meaning that the "VI" in Dexron VI is not a Roman numeral at all and that the VI stands for Viscosity Improvement or something like that.

What do you think..?

I thinks you are confused and overthinking it.

Apparently they jumped to VI (6) to avoid confusion with Toyota T-IV and Mercon V.

Originally Posted by MolaKule
If Dexron VI stands for Viscosity Improvement than what does Dexron III stand for?

No and nothing.
smile.gif

As GM improved the fluid formulations they simply upped the Roman Numeral designations skipping certain designations that might be confused with FORD and Chrysler fluids.

Chrysler ATF 4 and Ford's Mercon V... Okay that actually makes sense!

Originally Posted by Kibitoshin
Apparently they jumped to VI (6) to avoid confusion with Toyota T-IV and Mercon V.

I think they already had themselves confused!

1.2 DEXRON fluids

1.2.1 1967 - DEXRON(B)
1.2.2 1973 - DEXRON-II(C)
1.2.3 1975 - DEXRON-II(D)
1.2.4 1990 - DEXRON-II(E)
1.2.5 1993 - DEXRON-III(F)
1.2.6 1998 - DEXRON III(G)
1.2.7 2003 - DEXRON III(H)
1.2.8 2005 - DEXRON-VI(J)
1.2.9 2013 - DEXRON-HP
1.2.10 2014 - DEXRON-ULV

I read an article earlier today about GM coming up with a Dex IV and immediately getting rid of it. One could say that Toyota's T-IV is in effect like a Dex IV as it's an improvement over the expired Dex III's yet not of the same low viscosity of a Dex VI.

Originally Posted by Macsignals
Originally Posted by MolaKule

No and nothing.
smile.gif

Chrysler ATF 4 and Ford's Mercon V... Okay that actually makes sense!

This makes sense to me as well ^^^^^^

ATF-4 and Mercon V...

Originally Posted by bbhero
Just don't buy Dexron IIIIII....

It is totally incorrect per the Romans
lol.gif

Ever notice how clocks use IIII instead of IV?

Originally Posted by kschachn
Originally Posted by bbhero
Just don't buy Dexron IIIIII....

It is totally incorrect per the Romans
lol.gif

Ever notice how clocks use IIII instead of IV?

Only the trailer park clocks do that...
lol.gif

The fancy/correct ones use IV.

I've heard that they went straight to 6 because they introduced it and started using it in 2006 model year vehicles, thereby making it easy to remember which vehicles need it. But using a different number from other automakers' fluids makes sense too. That's actually the same reason gear oils are between 80-140 weight, even though their actual viscosity is about the same as a 30 weight motor oil. If they had "30 weight" gear oil, you'd have people mistakenly pour it in their engine, thinking it was motor oil. But everyone knows there is no 90 weight motor oil, so if they see a bottle that says 75w-90, they immediately know it's gear oil and not motor oil.

Originally Posted by LotI
Originally Posted by brages

What do you think..?

I thinks you are confused and overthinking it.

Probably... I just quit pronouncing "Dexron" with a "T" about a year ago...
eek.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back