Does Discount Tire sell seconds?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Out of a batch of brand new Michelin PS2's I recently purchased from Discount Tire, 3 of them, two fronts and a rear, had Hunter Road Force numbers over 35. They ordered replacements and they all had numbers under 5.

Tire sizes:
fr -225/40ZR18
rear - 285/30ZR18

So what's the possible cause for the garbage set of tires? (date stamp on them was less than 1 yr old)
Bad batch from Michelin?
Is Discount Tire selling seconds? (I asked the manager, he swore they don't)

What's your theory?

Are "seconds" even a thing in tires ? I'd have a hard time believing that a big company like Michelin would even chance it.

Probably bad manufacturing. DT isn't going to sell seconds. That tire will probably go back to Michelin or a employee will take em home.

Was the RoadForce values the tire or the assembly? The balancer spits out both. Using the diagnostics of the balancer can figure if it's 1st, 2nd, or 3rd harmonics.

Could be poor storage or poor mounting. In my experience, RF values drop after the first drive on the tires.

Originally Posted by zzyzzx
Use normal sized rims (14"-15") so you don't have these problems.

Not helpful.

18" wheels are the new normal and are quickly becoming small. The OP's rotors are probably 14"!

I bought six sets of tires from them. ALL six sets had bad tires. My longtime mechanic/tire installer said either they are factory seconds (common) or when mounting them they used too much force damaging them.

In my area, discount tire acquires tires from local tire distributors. These are the same distributors who supply dealerships, independent tire shops and repair shops. So no, they do not receive factory seconds.

Originally Posted by millerbl00
Forgot to add after trying so many times the rims where ruined. They did pay for them

They have a lot of turnover and most of their employees are part-time, so what do you expect?

Originally Posted by LotI

Not helpful.

18" wheels are the new normal and are quickly becoming small. The OP's rotors are probably 14"!

Given that OP is getting Michelin pilot sports I'm assuming its for the 911, can you imagine skinny little tires for an Aveo on a Porsche! Pffft yea that's a good idea on a performance application. Now if OP was putting tires on 32 in rims for his Dunk, then yes that would be an issue. I don't think DT, would sell blem or 2nd hand tires just from a liability standpoint, can you imagine the liability exposure that they would have?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by LotI
Was the RoadForce values the tire or the assembly? The balancer spits out both. Using the diagnostics of the balancer can figure if it's 1st, 2nd, or 3rd harmonics.

Could be poor storage or poor mounting. In my experience, RF values drop after the first drive on the tires.

I put over 200 miles on them before making them replace them.
I didn't know about the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd harmonics the machine can produce, and I'm pretty sure the manager doesn't either.

Someone else mentioned the size rims, stock from Porsche, rears 18" x 10", fronts 18" X 8". I do understand that wide tires make a big dif.

Originally Posted by The Critic
Forgot to add after trying so many times the rims where ruined. They did pay for them

They have a lot of turnover and most of their employees are part-time, so what do you expect?

In my two areas many employees are trying for a career at Americas Tires. Company s growing with decent pay and benefits when you reach certain levels. Also they transfer people around so what may seem like huge turnover might be slightly less. You are correct in that there is proably those looking for short term work but many are looking longer term..Either way they should do their job correctly

A 16" alloy wheel wont clear the front brake caliper on a 2017+ Elantra Sport. The 16" steel wheel spare only has 1/8" of clearance between the front rotor.

Originally Posted by The Critic

Nothing could be further from the truth at the Discount Tire stores I do business with. I have been dealing with the same people at the front end for many years now. I've known them so long, we are on a first name basis. I've been dealing with the same people at Discount Tire for so long that it surprised me when an unfamiliar person answered the phone when I called Discount Tire last week.

Used Discount Tire for the first and last time last week. They were new in my town so I tried them.

They completely cross threaded lug nut and it busted off when I took of the tire.

Called their corporate office and received no responses.

Never again.

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
My father in law worked for Michelin and they did not sell seconds or blems to tires dealers/shops. He could buy them at a substantial discount and I was able to grab them up occasionally for about 30% of new pricing. He was limited to a certain amount per year to prevent him from becoming a tire dealer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back