Dana S110 Lube change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning folks-
I am looking at changing the lube in my "Fat Boy" 08' F-450 that just hit it's 50K mark.
The Rear Differential is a Dana 110.
Ford calls for a lube change at this time with 75W-140, and i wondered if there as any reason not to go with the Valvoline Synpower, as opposed to the Motorcraft synthetic?
It is a significant cost savings. (Like 1/2), as the this guy needs 7 quarts to do the full change.
Also a recommendation on pumps to get to do my Diffs and transfer case would be most appreciated.
V/r
Michael

I use a suction gun for the transfer case and use the squeeze bottle for the diff. For the diff, if it's API GL-5 you should be good to go. Everyone has their own favourite diff fluid. I don't know how you could prove one was better than the other if they met GL-5. Here's another fluid that's 75w140. This one has limited slip additive for limited slip differentials.

E857A8AE-3032-4493-80F9-42A11E6F2EED.jpeg

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
I use a suction gun for the transfer case and use the squeeze bottle for the diff. For the diff, if it's API GL-5 you should be good to go. Everyone has their own favourite diff fluid. I don't know how you could prove one was better than the other if they met GL-5. Here's another fluid that's 75w140. This one has limited slip additive for limited slip differentials.

I always look for SAE J2360 or MIL-PRF-2105E, both have stricter requirements than GL-5.

Originally Posted by Colt45ws

I always look for SAE J2360 or MIL-PRF-2105E, both have stricter requirements than GL-5.

Good advice. I assumed all GL-5 synthetic gear lubes would have those specs but maybe not. I have Motomaster 75w90 in my diff ( much colder requirements) and it has those specs. Thanks for bringing that up.

Thanks guys....A LOT!
As I am doing the rear Diff, I might as well change the oil in the front diff also.
Ford specs call for 80w-90 in that little ‘ole Dana 60.
As I have read a lot of great information on this site, am I correct in saying that the 75w-90 synthetic will be just fine in this guy?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Parkman
As I have read a lot of great information on this site, am I correct in saying that the 75w-90 synthetic will be just fine in this guy?

75w-140 synthetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back