Anybody regularly pick the stones out of their tires?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doing it now on nearly new tires to clean the back side and inner rims. Somebody must have driven on a gravel road or construction site as I'm picking out a whole bunch of them. Also a few nail ends that if left there, would have penetrated through.

Sometimes do.
Noticed most tire warranties do not cover "Stone Drills", as its called, as a road hazard problem.
Some pointy rocks wedge in so tightly they could just keep pushing in as the tire wears and cause a puncture.

LOL No. That's just weird. I would spend eternity Picking them out if I did that. We did do that to the 18wheeler tires when we had to cross a runway. I guess airplane engines don't do well if they suck up a rock.

Last edited:
Yep, I can see my car out the window at work. If I notice a rock in the tread I have my pocket screwdriver in hand as I'm leaving work and pop it out. Anytime I do brake service on our cars I clean out and inspect the tread on the tires.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
I usually save that for when its raining cats and dogs or snowing.

That's odd. I prefer to remove and install tires when it's dry. I couldn't imagine deliberately doing it when raining.

Anybody Polish their tires?
smirk2.gif

I'll do it to my summer tires, but the snows pick up all kinds of grit. I stick to only big stuff on those, unless I'm bored to tears.

Nope.

Ok, if I'm doing a tire rotation and I'm looking at the tread, and I see a rock, I might pry it out. But usually I just ignore any rocks in the treads. They all come out once I hit highway speeds.

Even as a Corvette owner I have to say no. I did have a stone puncture a tire on an ST Blazer with the Uniroyal huge white letter tires they used to put on the Blazers. It only happened one time in the winter.

I do it as I think it has to throw the balance off but when I drive it I don't notice it. Heavy duty screwdriver seems to work best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back