1988 Toyota Pickup ST Full Synthetic 5w30, 5k miles on oil, 133xxx on engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
To me this oil sample seems pretty good. I changed the oil then did a radiator replacement so I think that's why some metals might be higher. Just a thought. Let me know what you guys think

88334352-7D9A-433F-9309-DA33C0D21FFB.jpeg

Last edited:
Well, IDK but others may.
Are you going to do another UOA again at 5K miles?
If so and the wear metals do in fact decrease in that next UOA, I'd then go 6K miles on your OCI.

Never done an oil analysis on my 92 22RE. Mine has just over 200,000 now on the engine and 312,000 on the truck. It's using about a quart every 3,000 miles. It does have some oil pan weeps, but it's nothing major at the moment.

Keep an eye on the driver side timing chain guide!

Not good but I feel other issues are at play here.

Was the engine near overheating?

And whats with this seafoam comment? Did you do a sump or TB clean?

That will mess things up.

Don't put that seafoam which has become for no reaosn "all the internet rage amongst no-nothings" junk in your engine.

Last edited:
You think this report isn't good? My temp gage never went past 1/4 where it always stays. I did not put seafoam in vehicle. I only asked if I put it in the oil would it alter the oil test results. I've always heard good things about seafoam do you have any bad experiences you can share?

Sodium and Potassium is something to keep an eye on. It doesn't look like the oil is formulated with it, it's usually in the 300-400 range if it's part of the add pack. I don't know why the radiator change would put coolant in the oil unless you have a front mounted oil cooler that you disconnected as part of removing the radiator.

Also, your silicon is somewhat high at 17ppm for 5000 miles, check your air filtration.

Otherwise the viscosity and TBN look good for a longer interval. I agree to check back in 5K and see where you're at with the P, Na and Si.

Originally Posted by Yota88
You think this report isn't good? My temp gage never went past 1/4 where it always stays. I did not put seafoam in vehicle. I only asked if I put it in the oil would it alter the oil test results. I've always heard good things about seafoam do you have any bad experiences you can share?

So it was just a radiotor leak?

I dont know what "never went past 1/4" means. Most temp gauges are at temp a "12 o'clock - straight up.
I will say, don't run a cool thermostat - run factory spec - or no more than 10 deg cooler.a

Its kinda cool you have an '88 with only 133K miles!
smile.gif

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Originally Posted by Yota88

So it was just a radiotor leak?

I dont know what "never went past 1/4" means. Most temp gauges are at temp a "12 o'clock - straight up.
I will say, don't run a cool thermostat - run factory spec - or no more than 10 deg cooler.a

Its kinda cool you have an '88 with only 133K miles!
smile.gif

On these trucks, 1/4 is normal when the cooling system is right, and that's with a stock Toyota thermostat.

Originally Posted by BigD1
Never done an oil analysis on my 92 22RE. Mine has just over 200,000 now on the engine and 312,000 on the truck. It's using about a quart every 3,000 miles. It does have some oil pan weeps, but it's nothing major at the moment.

Keep an eye on the driver side timing chain guide!

I think they put the nylon guards in after 1990. But I could be wrong. These nylon guides were a disaster. Took one of the best engines on the planet and screwed it up.

Yes I would inspect the chain if you aren't sure. My '94 failed at around 90K miles. Fortunately it did not bend valves. I was lucky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back