7317 or 6607?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just curious which one is the more popular choice here. My CR-V calls for the 7317 size filter but the 6607 cross-references with it, and the first oil change I did after I took ownership of this car I actually used a 6607 filter because the store I was at didn't have any 7317s in stock.

I know the 6607 is significantly smaller than the 7317 but what does that mean efficiency wise? Is there enough difference for it to really matter?

Size alone doesn't change efficiency of same exact filter brand compared. What you're really looking at is holding capacity and in a well maintained vehicle you'll not approach it even in the 6607 size. In fact many/most quick lubes and indies use the 6607 for 7317 size. That said, where possible using the spec size 7317 preferable imo. Or, where access permits in place of the 6607.

Originally Posted by Sayjac
In fact many/most quick lubes and indies use the 6607 for 7317 size. That said, where possible using the spec size 7317 preferable imo.
Almost every Honda that comes into a Walmart for an oil change leaves with a 6607. My own car would get the 7317 everyday of the week.

Larger the filter the more filter media and more capacity it has. If you do very short OCI's then it doesn't matter but if you're doing 10K+ OCI's then you better run the bigger, OEM Spec'd filter.

Yea the 7317 size is what I buy by the case since it fits most hondas, nissans, and even newer subarus.

But some filter makers, and shops now, have dropped the 7317 size in favor of the 6607 size only. I have not run into a car that the 7317 could not fit.

Since holding capacity mentioned and main consideration, I often refer to what Jim Allen posted about OF holding capacity in a post here.

"....the average filter in the average car at the average OCI/FCI is less than 50% loaded when removed. Doesn't apply to everyone, of course, but i you have your inputs under control (mainly a good air filter) then you should fit at or below that average...."

I expect most that post and read here at least fit that profile, probably much better.

I like the 7317 because it makes me feel better vs the 6607.

I actually use a 3593a or 9688 size in applications that call for the 6607/7317 (if I have the room, which I do in all the vehicles I service using this size). About the same length as the 7317, but larger diameter.

But as said, in reality, even the smaller 6607 is fine for a regular oil change interval.
Also as mentioned, most quick lubes don't even carry the 7317 size any more, and I know the Supertech line at Walmart no longer has that size.

Given the choice, I'd select 9688.
10% larger than a 7317 and only 1/2 inch longer.
Nearly 50% larger than a 6607 and only 3/8 inch longer.

I believe ST doesn't even make a 7317 anymore and they point customers to the 9688 option.

Originally Posted by racin4ds
Larger the filter the more filter media and more capacity it has. If you do very short OCI's then it doesn't matter but if you're doing 10K+ OCI's then you better run the bigger, OEM Spec'd filter.

If you can fill up the capacity of a 6607 with contaminants in 10k miles you have bigger issues with the engine. In reality it doesn't matter, even though the 7317 allows for slightly more oil capacity. I buy 7317 sized filters mostly because they seem to be cheaper and I'll buy a few at a time for my family's Hondas.

...If you can fill up the capacity of a 6607 with contaminants in 10k miles you have bigger issues with the engine..
Fwiw, I agree with this.

Here is my thinking on using the larger filter. Initial cold start-up oil flow through the filter media is laminar and the resulting pressure drop is directly proportional to flow velocity and viscosity. Since the viscosity of motor oil is about 100 times higher at 0 F than at 212F, the differential pressure across the filter media could be 100 times higher at cold start-up than at operating temperature. This will certainly open the pressure relief valve that bypasses the filter until the oil warms up. I will opt for the larger filter (7317) which reduces the oil velocity through the filter media if there is reasonable clearance and if start-up temperatures are going to be below freezing.

Originally Posted by compratio10_5
Here is my thinking on using the larger filter. Initial cold start-up oil flow through the filter media is laminar and the resulting pressure drop is directly proportional to flow velocity and viscosity. Since the viscosity of motor oil is about 100 times higher at 0 F than at 212F, the differential pressure across the filter media could be 100 times higher at cold start-up than at operating temperature. This will certainly open the pressure relief valve that bypasses the filter until the oil warms up. I will opt for the larger filter (7317) which reduces the oil velocity through the filter media if there is reasonable clearance and if start-up temperatures are going to be below freezing.

True that more flow area on the same media with same oil at same viscosity will lower the delta-p some. And that does help reduce bypass events during cold starts.

Don't think it's a linear relationship. The delta-p may be 1~2 psi with hot oil, so no way it's 100~200 psi with cold oil. From graphs I've seen of cold oil vs hot oil "delta-p vs flow" data, if I recall correctly a filter with around 3 psi delta-p with hot oil would have around about 20 psi with cold oil. Of course that also depends on the filter media flow characteristics. I'll see if I can find the graphs.

Originally Posted by blupupher

I actually use a 3593a or 9688 size in applications that call for the 6607/7317 (if I have the room, which I do in all the vehicles I service using this size).

Same here, and the 3593 size is almost always the cheapest on RockAuto, as well.

Here is my thinking .................. the differential pressure across the filter media could be 100 times higher at cold start-up than at operating temperature. This will certainly open the pressure relief valve that bypasses the filter until the oil warms up. I will opt for the larger filter (7317) which reduces the oil velocity through the filter media if there is reasonable clearance and if start-up temperatures are going to be below freezing.

^^^ Exactly why I run dual remote filters/over-size filters on most of my vehicles

Originally Posted by jeepman3071
racin4ds said:
If you can fill up the capacity of a 6607 with contaminants in 10k miles you have bigger issues with the engine.

I always thought there would be significant contamination from (wet) clutch wear, but Yamaha suggests changing the filter only every 2nd oil change. Go figure...

Given these filters are the size of an inline fuel filter - the bigger the better IMO.

I've had cold start engine rap with small filters that went away when I installed a filter with more media surface area.

That issue was mainly apparent on Nissan (renault) engines the HR16DE and the QR25DE

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

True that more flow area on the same media with same oil at same viscosity will lower the delta-p some. And that does help reduce bypass events during cold starts.

Don't think it's a linear relationship. The delta-p may be 1~2 psi with hot oil, so no way it's 100~200 psi with cold oil. From graphs I've seen of cold oil vs hot oil "delta-p vs flow" data, if I recall correctly a filter with around 3 psi delta-p with hot oil would have around about 20 psi with cold oil. Of course that also depends on the filter media flow characteristics. I'll see if I can find the graphs.

Here's the graphs. Look at the filter delta-p around the 3~4 GPM flow area.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back