Belt/ Tensioner wear

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all,

My work vehicle is a 2009 Civic EX-L. The car has been amazing but I do all my own maintenance which has been very little on this car. One thing I have overlooked is my serpentine belt and tensioner.

The car has 204,000 miles currently. The belt looks great, there are no odd noises or squeaks at startup except maybe on well below zero mornings.

I like to do some preventive maintenance but sometimes if things aren't broke maybe leave them alone. I think I am leaning to replacing the belt but undecided on the tensioner.

What do you think? Run it, replace the belt? or replace both.

Appreciate your thoughts!!! Most will probably think i'm way overdue.

I just swapped the serpentine belt on my Mazda 2. Belt was glazed and showing cracks. With the belt off, I discovered that the idler pulley sounded like it had sand in it, and the tensioner pulley had a couple of millimetres of play ...

So, $ 20.00 belt replacement becomes a $ 20.00 belt, PLUS a $20 idler pulley, PLUS a $ 100.00 tensioner. Originals went a 100 K miles, so I can't complain too much.

204k miles - replace BOTH the belt and tensioner. Everything is riding on that belt and tensioner!! It would suck to be stuck on the side of the road for something so preventable.

Our 2005 Honda CRV has 130k miles and the belt is still looking about as new with no cracks and no noises. I'm leaving it alone until some sight or sound tells me it's time.

Replace belt, give the tensioner a good once over. If the bearing feels loose or if there is any play at all in the pulley, replace it.

If it makes you feel better, spend the $50 and replace it.

Originally Posted by Lapham3
Our 2005 Honda CRV has 130k miles and the belt is still looking about as new with no cracks and no noises. I'm leaving it alone until some sight or sound tells me it's time.

This is foolish. For the price of a belt (or even tensioner too) you would risk being caught on the side of the road? I mean, 130k miles is a good amount of use - you got your money's worth.

Your for sure mean the serpentine belt that drives things like the alternator, and not the timing belt that drives the cam and valves, right?

Serpentine belt is not the timing belt. That many miles, I'd change them both. Once you get the belt off, taking out the tensioner is easy. 204k? you got your monies worth on that especially up there in those harsh winter conditions.

These Serpentine Belts (not the older v-belt) will wear out / you can use a small tool for checking, available at any parts store for free.

I would change the belt / put original belt in your vehicle along with any tools needed to change.
Check the two pulleys (tensioner and idle) and don't hesitate to change / use OEM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back