Castrol Edge 0w-30 Euro Formula / 7463 mi / 2007 Chrysler Pacifica 4.0L V6

Status
Not open for further replies.
UOA is from my '07 Pacifica (4.0L V-6) using Castrol Edge (European Formula) 0w-30 and Pentius UFXL filter, interval was 7463 miles. The oil is API SL & ACEA A3/B3 rated, made in Belgium.

Oil was put in the car in early March. Vehicle use is about 60% short trips of < 5 miles, 40% mixed highway/city driving. Air filter was installed about 15k ago; I'm at a loss to explain the high silicon as I don't live in a dusty environment. By the amount of TBN left in the oil, I should have kept it in much longer. Additive pack looks a little underwhelming. Will probably increase to 10k intervals. Switched to Mobil1 EP 0w-20 and Fram Ultra for the next OCI. Any thoughts / input / suggestions / etc are welcome.

[Linked Image from cdn1.imggmi.com]

Chrsyler originally, back in the old oil days of 2006 when they printed the owners manuals, said to use a 10w30.
Maybe any good full syn 5w30 or even Mobil1 0w40 at walmart would be best here.

I'm not sure I would go to M1 0w20 as you are doing, but it should be fine. Going thinner is not necessarily bad, although the timing chains could suffer some. We just don't know for sure.

About the silicon question, anything above about 15 ppm means its getting extra silicon from seals or extra dust is getting in. Anti-foam additives are around 10 ppm or so of the total, so that part is normal.

If your air filter path is sealed up good, the only other possible thing is to put on a Fram Ultra XG16 oil filter for better filtering, as you have on now, good call..... It does 80% at 5 microns which nothing else does as well. 99.5% at 20 microns.

Originally Posted by incognito_2u
Bad Link....

Are you not able to see it? Comes up fine on my end.

Originally Posted by paoester
Chrsyler originally, back in the old oil days of 2006 when they printed the owners manuals, said to use a 10w30.
Maybe any good full syn 5w30 or even Mobil1 0w40 at walmart would be best here.

I'm not sure I would go to M1 0w20 as you are doing, but it should be fine. Going thinner is not necessarily bad, although the timing chains could suffer some. We just don't know for sure.

No timing chains on this engine. I have a bunch of 0w20 to use up from an old AZ clearance, figured winter would be a fine time to use some as the Chrysler does mostly short trips. We don't have particularly awful winters here, but it will get down to 0 or the single digits a handful of times.

Oddly, I have gotten stellar UOA results in winter using 5w-20 in my Maxima, when a 30 weight is called for. That engine does have timing chains. I don't think a 20 weight is going to hurt anything, but will likely have a UOA performed to see if anything unusual pops up.

Here's another image of the report-- for some reason the one I linked to works on my computer but not my phone... Must be something wrong with the image hosting place I used. Here's another, let me know if it doesn't work.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back