Shell Rotella Gas Truck, Mobil Super Synthetic (2018 Sportage 2.4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

wemay

Site Donor 2023
I usually find it very difficult to assign adjectives to an oil's performance based on feel or sound but this recent run and subsequent fill have been significantly different... to my amazement.

I just used Mobil Super Synthetic 5W30 for only ~3000 miles and in this vehicle, it was very noisy. I didn't like at all. I wasn't sure if it was the oil or the car was past it's break-in miles at 20,000. So i emptied it out and replaced with Shell Rotella Gas Truck 5W30. The used MSS went to the lawn crew that does our community upkeep.

The difference is very noticeable and surprising. The vehicle is much smoother...even more than anything else i've ever used. It's diffucult to describe other than the Kia is just much smoother and quieter. Why? I have no idea.

My apologies to all of you i doubted in the past. You are correct, sometimes the difference is obvious.

Last edited:
Apology accepted:)
My Sportage doesn't like M1/M1EP at all.
Any Shell/Pennzoil product make it running so much smoother, even the current fill of PYB

I noticed the same with RGT 5w30 in the old 4.0L Nissan. My guess is it's due to the 160ppm of moly and upper range of the 30 grade range.

You guys are probably right. The thicker side of 30 and the nice Moly numbers...

I'll be able to play devil or friend after I run my stash of MSS and MS5K up. Never had issue with either oil in a Bonneville or Civic or even my Focus though
wink.gif

I had the same experience when I switched from Mobil 1 AFE 0w20 to RGT 0w20 in my 2018 Subaru Outback 2.5L. RGT was much smoother and quieter and an oil consumption issue I was having while using AFE went away with RGT.

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
I'll be able to play devil or friend after I run my stash of MSS and MS5K up. Never had issue with either oil in a Bonneville or Civic or even my Focus though
wink.gif

It ran great in my Veloster 1.6. I just don't think it's a good match for this vehicle?
21.gif
who knows?
I've always liked MS oils.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by wemay
I usually find it very difficult to assign adjectives to an oil's performance based on feel or sound but this recent run and subsequent fill have been significantly different... to my amazement.

I just used Mobil Super Synthetic 5W30 for only ~3000 miles and in this vehicle, it was very noisy. I didn't like at all. I wasn't sure if it was the oil or the car was past it's break-in miles at 20,000. So i emptied it out and replaced with Shell Rotella Gas Truck 5W30. The used MSS went to the lawn crew that does our community upkeep.

The difference is very noticeable and surprising. The vehicle is much smoother...even more than anything else i've ever used. It's diffucult to describe other than the Kia is just much smoother and quieter. Why? I have no idea.

My apologies to all of you i doubted in the past. You are correct, sometimes the difference is obvious.

Yep.... In my lady's 98 Camry it has been like Helen Keller obvious at times...

One time I ran a mix of Cam2 and Super S in her Camry... Loud from the get go. I changed it at 1400 miles... Used the Federated Auto semi synthetic blend oil and when I started the car up it was loud for about a half second... Then way, way, way quieter.

Using Rotella Gas Truck in my Silverado for the past six months (0w20) and it does seem quieter/smoother/use less oil.

And I've got to hand it to them...they've mailed me every one of my rebates without fail.

Good to know I'm not the only one who felt the difference. I've been driving vehicles my whole life and I am in tune with all of them, I've raced bikes and cars on the side, something that's came naturally....so I know by subtle differences in the way my vehicles operate of any modifications I've done if they have any impact. And this oil by far gave me the most noticeable results in mpg, smoothness, quietness etc.

I was pleasantly surprised to see RGT in 0W-20 at my local Wally World the other day. I know what's going in the new Tacoma for it's first oil change.

Originally Posted by kschachn
It gets thick, doesn't it?

Observations...

Just because you have not heard anything... Does not mean others are wrong...

In my work... Being observative can make the difference between life and no longer being here...

Originally Posted by CharlieBauer
Did you change the oil filter?

Yes. From a PureOne PL14459 to an STP (blue) S2808.

Your a brave man wemay! I've noticed the same thing but reluctant to admit it here for fear of ridicule. After a lifetime user of vanilla M1 I switched 3 of my vehicles to ST syn. Same experience here with a side benefit of bumped, consistent, fuel economy. Only thing I can come up with is more/better moly.

Only vehicle I have ever notice a difference in from an oil change is my brother in law's '04 F150 with the 3v 5.4.
It was very loud on the bulk 5w-30, unknown brand, he had in it from a local oil change place. This engine is known to have sound issues with the phasers in the engine.
When I switched it to Castrol GTX Syn-Blend 5w-20, the sound pretty much went away. Although I did do some other work on the truck (a much needed tune-up and other repairs), so not 100% sure it was just the oil.
Since that time, I have used several oils (one more with GTX blend, 3 changes of GTX HM 5w-20, 1 of Valvoline Syn Maxlife 0w-20/Valvoline SAE 30 (5qt/2qt), and currently Magnatec 10w-30). with no noted sound difference. I don't drive it enough to be able to comment on other things.
I just realized how much Castrol I have used in this truck, no particular reason, just what I grabbed from my stash.
Next change will either be clearance Mobil Super HM 5w-30 or Mobil Super Syn 10w-30

But other than that, I have never noted any difference in how the engine "feels", sounds or fuel economy in any other vehicles from just an oil change.
21.gif

Not saying it does not happen, just not to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back