Smoker Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
I usually only like to use my smoker during the winter. So, I'm breaking it out this weekend. The complex I live in has a rec. center where we have fish fry's, bingo, birthday parties, etc. Monday Nov. 25th we are having our Thanksgiving dinner. I was put in charge of smoking a 5 lb. beef brisket and a 7 lb. pork loin. I only use Kingsford charcoal and various types of wood. For this occasion it's pecan.
C'est Si Bon!
Anyone else like to use a smoker?

Yes. I have a 40" electric smoker that I use fairly often...but nowhere near as much as I'd like. I smoke Boston butts, turkey, pheasant, ribs...you name it. The ONLY thing I haven't smoked in it yet is a beef brisket...largely due to the cost. If I could get enough friends/family interested enough to chip to cover the cost, I'd smoke one up any time.

Every Thanksgiving, I start the turkey in my smoker and then move it to the oven to finish. It gets between 2 and 2.5 hours in the smoker, usually with pecan or apple wood for the smoke. Turns out so good.

Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter
I usually only like to use my smoker during the winter. So, I'm breaking it out this weekend. The complex I live in has a rec. center where we have fish fry's, bingo, birthday parties, etc. Monday Nov. 25th we are having our Thanksgiving dinner. I was put in charge of smoking a 5 lb. beef brisket and a 7 lb. pork loin. I only use Kingsford charcoal and various types of wood. For this occasion it's pecan.
C'est Si Bon!

Smoked meats are awesome! What kind of smoker do you have?

Did you first ask the neighbours if they mind? Apparently it's just good neighborhood etiquette, like asking if you can wash your car at 8pm.
grin2.gif

C'est Si Bon!

I smoked 2 23lb turkeys this morning for our department thanksgiving dinner. I start with charcoal and hickory on the offset charbroil smoking grill, then move them to the electric water smoker.

I use a Masterbuilt electric smoker. I really like it! Load that bad boy up, set temp, add chips and it smokes it's tail off. Keeps a very tight temp range, has internal temp probe, and uses very little chips for as much smoke as it makes. Cleans up easy. Great weapon in my cooking arsenal.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Did you first ask the neighbours if they mind? Apparently it's just good neighborhood etiquette, like asking if you can wash your car at 8pm.
grin2.gif

Ask permission to fire up his smoker ?

I have a Brinkman but in the winter I lose way too much heat to the exterior with the colder ambient temps and woul use a crap load of wood smoking brisket in the winter

Originally Posted by atikovi
grin2.gif

I take it you don't remember BOF's threads about gumbo and shrimp cooking....

P.S. is it ethical to use beer on items grilling?

Originally Posted by diyjake
C'est Si Bon!

Smoked meats are awesome! What kind of smoker do you have?

It's a CookNCajun II. I think it's approaching 25-30 years old.

smoker.jpg

Atikovi yer gonna get throwed out of the hood! Them neighbors are gonna smell that nasty nasty MEAT!
Oh my my if it has a fan on it it's gonna be way way too noisy. Shame shame!

You sure it's just 5 pounds ? I'm doing a 5 pound Wagyu brisket tomorrow for just 4 people …
Well, do hope to have a bit leftover

Just have a single level wood pit … but large enough to cook with offset heat. Split some oak today
It has coated cast iron grills …
Just might move it into my outdoor oven for the last half so I can do other stuff

Mmmm num num. I smoke in a Yoder ys 640s. We're going to moke a prime rib this year for Thanksgiving.its been aging in the fridge for 3 weeks so far. Can't wait!

Originally Posted by 4WD
You sure it's just 5 pounds ? I'm doing a 5 pound Wagyu brisket tomorrow for just 4 people …
Well, do hope to have a bit leftover

Just have a single level wood pit … but large enough to cook with offset heat. Split some oak today
It has coated cast iron grills …
Just might move it into my outdoor oven for the last half so I can do other stuff

My apt. manager told me it was 5 lbs. She hasn't actually handed it over to me yet.
If you're concerned there will not be enough meat for the dinner, one resident is baking a 22 lb. turkey, another is frying a 14 lb. turkey, another resident is making a meatloaf, and another resident is bbqing 3 chickens. That's what I know of so far.
Do you think that's enough meat for the 20 residents that are attending?
coffee2.gif

I'm rarely off holidays. Can't recall when or if last time off for Thanksgiving, but this year I am off (not going to feel right).
So grinding at the bit about doing a small (11-lbs) turkey in the Masterbuilt electric smoker and full size prime rib in the Green Mountain grill (use the blue tooth app or whatever they call it, plus have the wireless additional 6-probe thermometer thing she used last year).
Trying to help out the wife this time while she takes care of all the other things for chow, so hope I don't screw it up too bad.
Then again she might yell telling me to get out of the way and go watch a game or something..... the usual.

I went to my local WM this morning to pick up some meds. While there they were selling turkeys for .50 cents a pound. I bought a 14.5 lber. Guess what's going on the smoker Thursday?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back