2017 Ford 6.7PS ~12.5K miles Valvoline Premium Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Valvoline Premium Blue 15w40 8600es otherwise known as Heavy Duty

Trying to see if I can extend my interval. ~15% towing this round. Truck computer predicted 4% fuel dilution so right on target
Same oil back in

[Linked Image]

Thanks for posting up. My UOAs have been put on hold due to 2 upper oil pan leak repairs under warranty. I've been running 5w-40 Delvac and Valvoline 5w-40. Going to also get UOA from someone other than Blackstone as I suspect fuel dilution myself, but isn't showing up.

Originally Posted by mbacfp
Thanks for posting up. My UOAs have been put on hold due to 2 upper oil pan leak repairs under warranty. I've been running 5w-40 Delvac and Valvoline 5w-40. Going to also get UOA from someone other than Blackstone as I suspect fuel dilution myself, but isn't showing up.

It might be the fuel dilution that limits how far I can go. I personally don't worry about it until it's 5% or more. So looks like 15k or maybe 20k might be doable but dilution will probably stop me there.

Curious, how often does your truck regen? The 2017+ 6.7s seem to have more fuel dilution than previous generations. There are several ECM software updates available if you haven't been to the dealer latey FWIW. The iron and fuel dilution would be my only hesitations but it's still a little over 3 ppm/1k while it's higher than I would like for my truck its not absolutely terrible for the nature of this engine. 4% fuel is about as much as I'd personally like to see.

Last edited:
Fe wear rate is very good. All other wear metals are very low. No Si or coolant contamination to speak of. Fuel is tracking a bit higher, but at this point, there's no correlation of fuel to wear; it's having no effect.

15k miles is worth trying for sure. Run one or two at that distance; see how the wear rates are. Then consider extending out based on the wear data.

Fuel contamination is nothing to ignore; it's important to track. But it's ONLY important if it shows a propensity to affect wear rates. As long as that's not happening, the fuel level is OK. It may not be desirable, but it's tolerable.

Last edited:
Honestly I think the fuel dilution is up because my wife is using the truck as a commuter until she gets her new car. Work is not far enough to complete a regen so it's probably done more than usual. I'm past worrying about regens completing and just let the truck do it's thing.

Dilution is going to be a side effect of that attitude but I am not worried about dilution like some others are. So far I have not seen any issues with my vehicles that dilute, and that's all of them ...

Hey Beer Can, I see that changes #2 and #4 were at least 9K plus miles. Is that when the truck told you to change it? I heard the 17+s ECMs take the OCIs out further than the 11 to 16s. Why was change #3 below that? I'm going to imagine that #5 and #6 are further out as you find a happy medium to extend it out and stay safe. I am very curious about this. From what I see with the attitudes about extending oil changes on a stock 6.7, I'm sure a lot of folks think you're nuts. But if the UOAs are coming back good, no need to worry. Thanks.

I change mine when it tells me to which is about 7.2k miles or so, give or take. I'm just over half way through my last oil change and it will be my 4th UOA done by Blackstone. I run MC10w30. All prior UOAs have come back great. This current oil run I added LubeGard's Heavy Duty Engine Protectant additive in the proper amount. I am curious to see what the next UOA will reveal. I also run an FS2500 bypass.

Trying to get here more often and participate more than I have. Looking forward to your input.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by daved5150
Hey Beer Can, I see that changes #2 and #4 were at least 9K plus miles. Is that when the truck told you to change it? I heard the 17+s ECMs take the OCIs out further than the 11 to 16s. Why was change #3 below that? I'm going to imagine that #5 and #6 are further out as you find a happy medium to extend it out and stay safe. I am very curious about this. From what I see with the attitudes about extending oil changes on a stock 6.7, I'm sure a lot of folks think you're nuts. But if the UOAs are coming back good, no need to worry. Thanks.

I change mine when it tells me to which is about 7.2k miles or so, give or take. I'm just over half way through my last oil change and it will be my 4th UOA done by Blackstone. I run MC10w30. All prior UOAs have come back great. This current oil run I added LubeGard's Heavy Duty Engine Protectant additive in the proper amount. I am curious to see what the next UOA will reveal. I also run an FS2500 bypass.

Trying to get here more often and participate more than I have. Looking forward to your input.

I find it is quite the opposite

.... I change mine when it tells me to which is about 7.2k miles or so, give or take. I'm just over half way through my last oil change and it will be my 4th UOA done by Blackstone. I run MC10w30. All prior UOAs have come back great. This current oil run I added LubeGard's Heavy Duty Engine Protectant additive in the proper amount. I am curious to see what the next UOA will reveal. I also run an FS2500 bypass.

For your 7.2k mile OCIs, you're wasting money on the additive and the bypass filter. For such a short OCI, those things won't affect the wear rates at all.

How can you dilute that 13 gallon sump, LoL … (maybe they need a proof reader)

Originally Posted by 4WD
How can you dilute that 13 gallon sump, LoL … (maybe they need a proof reader)

It is not hard, especially in the winter and short commutes.

Originally Posted by dnewton3
.... I change mine when it tells me to which is about 7.2k miles or so, give or take. I'm just over half way through my last oil change and it will be my 4th UOA done by Blackstone. I run MC10w30. All prior UOAs have come back great. This current oil run I added LubeGard's Heavy Duty Engine Protectant additive in the proper amount. I am curious to see what the next UOA will reveal. I also run an FS2500 bypass.

For your 7.2k mile OCIs, you're wasting money on the additive and the bypass filter. For such a short OCI, those things won't affect the wear rates at all.

Oh, we had that conversation over at FTE (I'm Overkill2 there). Remember? I'm gonna have to post my next UOA.

Originally Posted by mattd

I find it is quite the opposite

What do you mean Matt?

In our fleet our 2017 and 2018 trucks the OLM pops up every 2k miles. Never see the other ones come up (services are every 3k or so due to hours)

Cab and chassis 550s(17 and 18 MY) F450 2013 MY and 2 2011 MY cab and chassis F350

Originally Posted by dnewton3

Gotta figure bypass will remove some soot, and reduce wear numbers in that respect. Wear numbers drop a lot in a 6.7 when deleted, likely due at least in part to much less soot in the oil. Bypass should work in a similar manner I would think.

I'm not a bypass guy, but it's got to help reduce wear to some extent.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by mattd
Cab and chassis 550s(17 and 18 MY) F450 2013 MY and 2 2011 MY cab and chassis F350

Thanks matt. Appreciate the info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back