Idemitsu ATF Type TLS-LV (WS)

Did a complete fluid change with Idemitsu ATF Type TLS-LV (WS) I got from amazon for my 2013 highlander. Tried other fluids but this one by far is the best shifting one so far. Only $32 for 5 quart on amazon and its fully synthetic. FYI

Idemitsu 30040096-95300C020 ATF Type TLS-LV (WS) Automatic Transmission Fluid for Toyota/Lexus/Scion-5 Quart

Recently used it on a 2011 Sequoia drain and fill. I like that its 5qts and not the 4qts like others. Gives you some wiggle room for miss-measurements and spills. . Sequoia on ramps pulled out a tad under 5 qts. Did the "put in what came out" method.

I find it so odd that they go through all that work to make a WS specific fluid and not touting that is a full synthetic. That should be plastered on the label in big letters. I just bought 2 gallons from Amazon and will be doing a flush too on my 2016 Lexus ES350.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Joephu
I find it so odd that they go through all that work to make a WS specific fluid and not touting that is a full synthetic. That should be plastered on the label in big letters. I just bought 2 gallons from Amazon and will be doing a flush too on my 2016 Lexus ES350.

I emailed them. They said it was full synthetic.

Update after 3000 miles on this transmission oil I am very pleased. With other oils the transmission would start shifting goofy again after about 300 miles. With this oil its night and day. All the bad characteristics are gone and shifts are very stable. Good stuff!

demitsu 30040096-95300C020 ATF Type TLS-LV (WS) Automatic Transmission Fluid for Toyota/Lexus/Scion-5 Quart

Nithing in the USA is full Synthetic Some "synthetic" oil is made from Group III base stock, some from Group IV. Some from a blend of the two. Mobil sued Castrol and Castrol prevailed in showing that their Group III base stock oil was changed enough that it qualified as full synthetic. Since then API has removed all references to Synthetic in their documentation regarding standards. "Full synthetic" is a marketing term and is not a measurable quality.

Aisin full synthetic sold in the UK group 4 synthetic

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aisin-ATF-...9066-1-1&vehicleName=Lexus+IS+II+250

Who would sell this in the USA though? I can't seem to find a place to get it. I am thinking that this fluid might have been an attempt to address complaints people had with WS. Some say that WS shears too much and does not last long. While I agree that fluid color is not everything, WS does come out black! It makes me want to have a shot of espresso when I see how dark it gets!! I have only seen AFW+ on sites for places that are not in the USA so far such as India. I wonder when this AFW+ fluid will become easier to get. If anything I would expect to find it at a Toyota dealer eventually.

Aisin sells a rebottle of Toyota WS in the US. The stuff mentioned is a "superior" type that is acceptable for use but not a perfect match to WS.

The old formulation of WS turned purple once exposed to air. The new XOM formulation does not. The last D/F I did on the Prius came out dark red. The previous ones were usually brown, despite 30K drains.

The AFW+ made my shifting far better than the original WS and that with a transmission cooler. During hard use in hills and sand as well as long stop and go traffic under hot sun, the shifting remains way smoother than with WS fluid. Incidentally the AISIN site lists two Toyota vehicles as being compatible, one is Prius and other is Land Cruiser with A750. That Land Cruiser also came OEM with factory air to oil auxiliary transmission cooler.

The AFW+ is available in middle east, Europe, Russia and other regions as well as Asia. The brochure recommends full flush every 20.000km with the oil but I would guess thats a general recommendation from the company to be on the safe side. It seems to have superior pour and flash point than the WS fluid but then its expected from a synthetic fluid. From the Russian forums that I have read the results are very positive even for long term use. Its also far cheaper than WS fluid.

I had a 2006 Jetta that used the Type T-IV fluid and it some left over in a drain pan turned purple also. The fluid part number was G 055 025 A2 and that was really just Type T-IV sold for $18.36 by VW. I am trying to find the AFW+ fluid to give it a try. At the very least I am looking to see what other people noticed after using it or other fluids. I can also never agree more about changing the fluid sooner, especially when you are like me and have a transmission that is known to have a troublesome valve body at times. Mine is not bad yet but I guess it happens when people follow VW's old advice and let it go too long or even not change it at all. These are sealed but really all that means is no dipstick. What evil SOB thought of that anyhow???

That was an older car that I no longer have. It also had the 09G. That 09G looks identical to the one I had in the previous car but just takes a different fluid. I did see the AFW fluid also but know don't use that one. I would like to find a place that has the AFW+. I guess to find that I should check parts stores that specialize in Japanese cars. Surely someone must be importing it to the USA. I see no reason why they would not be able to really.

would be interested in seeing a VOA comparison between OEM Toyota ATF and Idemitsu, any Toyota fans up to the challenge or links???

smirk2.gif

Originally Posted by discountdon
would be interested in seeing a VOA comparison between OEM Toyota ATF and Idemitsu, any Toyota fans up to the challenge or links???

smirk2.gif

I would be interested if Mola took Toyota WS and compared it against MaxLife's chemical signature.

Back