Actual buildup/dirt/etc on dipstick

Status
Not open for further replies.
I usually just take my dipstick out in the morning on my 4Runner and check it (once a week or so). I don't ever wipe it off just carefully reinsert. Yesterday, I wiped off the entire length of the dipstick with a paper towel pinched between my fingers. Noticed lots of silver/black buildup. It got me thinking. Is this from my oil? Is my engine grinding itself to death? Is this blowby sticking to the dipstick? How is so much crud getting into the dipstick tube?

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Maybe its from years of not wiping the dipstick when checking the oil, no O-ring, a poor seal, not seating properly, etc? I wish I knew I never experienced that. Subscribed for the answer.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
Maybe its from years of not wiping the dipstick when checking the oil, no O-ring, a poor seal, not seating properly, etc? I wish I knew I never experienced that. Subscribed for the answer.

Yes its been so long its forming sledge!

The dip stick tube breathes unless it's sealed with o-ring etc. Then if it "seals" it should not blow out either. Some engines actually have locking dipsticks.

I have had good luck with a brief immersion or wipe down with lacquer thinner, removes the discoloration, varnish etc. so you can get a good reading.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back