747-400 versus 747-8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Delta plays a smart game in its capital expenditures.
Delta has built large fleets of MD-90 and MD-95 (717) aircraft on the cheap. The 717s may be leased, but there's little doubt that Delta will end up buying them for a song (minor pun) at some point.
Delta is also perfectly willing to purchase new aircraft when it can see the value in so doing. In terms of fleet planning, I don't think that any other carrier anywhere has done a better job in recent years.
It helps that Delta has extensive in-house MRO capabilities, which those carriers that dump leased aircraft in a deplorable state after ten or twelve years lack.

We don't have a single leased 717. They're bought and paid for,,, in cash!

Is that so?
I thought that 80 or so of the ex-AirTran aircraft were on a sublease from Southwest, since AirTran had originally leased these aircraft from Boeing with AirTran owning only a small number of frames.
If Delta cut to the chase and actually bought these aircraft outright from Boeing, it must have gotten a great deal.
Where else could Boeing or Southwest have placed such a large fleet of a type with only a couple of other much smaller current operators?

According to our statistics report we own all 91 outright. The procurement started back in 2013 and the most recent was in February of this year. It is probably likely that we'll get the rest of these planes as deals are made with other carriers. They are efficient to operate and all of ours are outfitted with 110 seats: 98 coach and 12 business.

Didn't know that. Thanks!
We saw some 717s in Delta colors at ATL a couple of months back.
We flew on a number of these aircraft to and from ATL when they still said "AirTran".
I've often wondered why Delta let AirTran survive and prosper with their ATL hub when they could have suffocated the infant in its crib. Another AAmerican AAirline would not have hesitated to do so at one of their fortress hubs.
I've also often wondered why Southwest squandered what AirTran had built in ATL.
Maybe Southwest's costs today are simply too high to have sustained the routes that AirTran ran as spokes through ATL?

There were a couple of events that I remember that have stuck in my mind - two under the ValuJet name and one involving a Delta aircraft. You likely remember these events if you follow commercial aviation.

Back in 1995 ValuJet had an engine come apart during take-off roll and severely injured one of their flight attendants. I recall the aircraft sitting at the end of the runway under tarps for several days. This aircraft was heading down to Miami.

Again, in 1996 another ValuJet heading back from Miami to Atlanta experienced a cargo fire which put the aircraft into the everglade swamp and killed everyone. This aircraft was one of our old DC-9's.

I can only speculate but I doubt ValuJet/AirTran was ever given much more than a passing thought as far as them being a competitive threat. Their safety record was so poor that they couldn't even secure a contract to transport military personnel.

Delta also had a horrible accident involving an MD-88 in July of 1996 in which two of our customers lost their lives. These tragedies bring to light that even though we are business competitors we still have the responsibility to our customers that few people realize.

At the close of business Delta (and hopefully every other major carrier) will do what they can to help out a competitor in time of need. Kicking a person when they're down is hardly the actions of an industry leader.

AirTran and ValuJet were different operators from different times.
You know that the born-again AirTran had a perfect safety record with a nice fleet of new 717s and 737s.
You know just how many AirTran operations were scheduled through ATL and they clearly competed with Delta. Delta also offered many connections through ATL from DAY and a number of other markets. CVG was not then in the equation, since fares there were ridiculous for O&D.
My point was that American would never have allowed such a carrier to survive at DFW or MIA.
Remember when American ran Delta out of DFW?
In the long run, it made no difference, since Southwest bought AirTran and eliminated any competitive threat at ATL for Delta.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27

We saw some 717s in Delta colors at ATL a couple of months back.

I was hoping to see them in SWA colors, I always had a soft spot for the DC-9 and its relatives.

It's been a long time ago but if I recall ValuJet was merged with the holding company for AirTran (Airways corp) and flew under the name of AirTran Airways. AirTran actually kept the marketing materials for ValuJet stored away in a warehouse here in Forest Park, Ga. for many years.Much of that marketing memorabilia can be found and bought at the numerous aviation shows that travel the country.

Naturally AirTran did not broadcast their ties to ValuJet but they were certainly there.

Not a fan of British Airways for a number of reasons, but I do fly KLM and Lufthansa for the sake of flying onboard a 747.

As it stands, I believe Lufthansa and Korean Air have the biggest fleets of 747s, with Lufthansa having a lot of -8s, including the 1,500th 747 produced.

There is nothing quite like being in a 747 during takeoff. I'm glad I have many memories of being a passenger on them including the upper deck.

Originally Posted by PimTac
There is nothing quite like being in flying a 747 during takeoff.

Fixed it for ya...

wink.gif

Last edited:
Yeah, those 3 carriers were the last I took 744/748 rides on … earlier this year, here is one moving in while we prepare to depart on BA Dreamliner from Heathrow.

Dang … 32 second video, wouldn't compress

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Astro14
Originally Posted by PimTac
There is nothing quite like being in flying a 747 during takeoff.

Fixed it for ya...

wink.gif

ðŸ‘ðŸ»

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back