Engine RPM’s while passing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Usually 3k as that is what it cruises at, and most of my passing is done on the highway (a 5S-FE isn't capable of passing on 2 lane road). Acceleration usually involves sweeping past 5k and sometimes hitting 6k to wring out what it doesn't have.

My Acura in signature -- automatic drops down a gear and revs immediately to 3000-4500 rpms -- if not more. Depends how hard I stand on it and how long. I normally just putt putt my Subaru and Ram around city driving and back roads. The Acura goes on road trips for reason.

Last edited:
Wife's Audi is a stick, has a 2.0 turbo and sees 6500 rpm everytime I drive it. The fed tune VAG 2.0 turbos with a stick pull beyond the redline. My Elanta has a 1.6 turbo and I take it a little over 6 all the time. RPM doesn't bother me. When I was a mechanic at a Honda dealer, I liked when I got a chance to drive a Civic Si and pull it to 8K RPM.

I didn't have the turbo-four BMW 328i long enough to recall exactly. Seems to me I used to hit about 4500 rpm in passing. About the same in the N/A four in the 2011 Regal.

With the '16 Buick LaCrosse, I think it runs up toward 3500 -- the car is still new to me, and my attention has been on the visual representation of the tach shown in the Head-up display rather than the number in the tach itself.

The wife and I are riding up the coast. Yesterday I was on the '20 S 1000 RR M, and briefly saw the rev-limiter in an effort to keep up with the wife on the old, heavily modded 'Busa. So about 14.6k RPM. This wasn't really a pass, as we were just testing roll-on performance between the two bikes, on a section of road with no other traffic.

In my gen 1 EB f150, if you floored it to pass it'd try to do 5500+ before shifting - way past the torque curve. Truck was faster if you let up slightly at around 4500 and let it shift. My gen 2 EB w/10 speed shifts just shy of 5000, maybe 4950. I think ford figured out that was the best way to change ratios and stay in the fat part of the torque curve. Shifting at a not so dramatic rpm surely isn't impressive but it yields speed in a hurry especially with the 10 speed.
Most of my passing is at 60 so it drops 2 gears and shifts early because I mostly do "safe" passes that don't require full throttle, probably 4000rpm.

When I'm passing I don't look at the tach, instead I look at the road.

Based on sound my guess would be around 4000.

If by pass you mean, pull out in the oncoming lane to overtake a slower vehicle, I can't recall the last time I did that. At least 5 if not more than 10 years ago. No 2 lane roads around here with enough room to pass or would bother to since there is a stop light or sign a mile or two ahead anyway.

Speed from to?

Since I have a manual and a turbo with torque flat from 2000-4500 rpm I ususally wont rev past 5K

On My Nissan QR25DE Id run it to the fuel cutoff or near redline

Most of my passes are "illegal" across a double yellow in a 2 lane highway tring to get to work in under 1 hour on a 35min commute.

Passing slow moving phone doodlers and snoozers going 40 on a 55. I drop back a bit ( ~4 car lengths) then
second gear to redline up to the guys bumper then snap out make the pass then get back in line fast.

So that's a 40- 80 mph acceleration.

Originally Posted by Skippy722
I paid for the whole tachometer, I'm gonna use it!

This. I've never floored my Suburban... No need to, but when I'm in the Escape I floor it a lot and I do a lot of passing on two lane roads. I don't always stick to the passing zone but I have to plan it out carefully given that it's such a slow car. As for the RPM, well, all the way up haha.

WOT in the 99 MGM shifts just before 5k RPMs as I just tested this on an on-ramp today...

Originally Posted by javacontour
I might touch 6k in the Mazda 3. Grand Marquis, I have no idea as there is no tach. Now I'm curious and need to put my ELM327 connector and run torque to gather some "data" while I give her an Italian tune up.

Originally Posted by Cujet
In the numerous cars I rent, the RPM during a passing event is always near redline. Generally just under 6000 RPM.

In my previous car, a Turbocharged S2000 AP2, Redline was originally 8200, but the tune raised it to 8600. I hit that regularly.

8600? Talk about a blender motor!

Originally Posted by Alfred_B
6 to 7k on two lane routes.

Originally Posted by Char Baby
My 4 bangers usually hit/surpass 6 grand.

Originally Posted by skyactiv
Wife's Audi is a stick, has a 2.0 turbo and sees 6500 rpm everytime I drive it. The fed tune VAG 2.0 turbos with a stick pull beyond the redline. My Elanta has a 1.6 turbo and I take it a little over 6 all the time. RPM doesn't bother me. When I was a mechanic at a Honda dealer, I liked when I got a chance to drive a Civic Si and pull it to 8K RPM.

And then we have posts asking, "why can't I find cars that last more than 200,000 miles."

When I very rarely drive my girlfriend's car I don't like to pass. I treat the gas pedal like an egg shell since it's a Hyundai 2.4 gdi and it could seize up at any time. It won't be while I'm driving it.

In the company work truck (2005 Silverado 4wd with a 4.8, loaded with weight in the back) when I pass or merge I have never used more than 3/4 throttle but somehow it still usually downshifts a couple gears and winds to 5500rpm plus before I back off. Redline is 6000rpm I think. It feels like it wants to go whether I really needed it to or not. With 200k miles and 8200 engine hours I don't like to run it too hard but it seems to like it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by atikovi
Originally Posted by Alfred_B
6 to 7k on two lane routes.

Originally Posted by Char Baby
My 4 bangers usually hit/surpass 6 grand.

Originally Posted by skyactiv

And then we have posts asking, "why can't I find cars that last more than 200,000 miles."

I will either long be bored of the vehicle or the salt will have given it cancer long before I get to 200k miles. If I wanted a dull anodyne appliance on 4 wheels that takes its sweet time to get up to passing speed I would have kept my Caliber or bought one of the other truly uninspiring vehicles on the market.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back