Leaking orange can

Status
Not open for further replies.
Car came in for an oil leak. The oil filter is leaking between the base and can.

IMG_20191120_085921.jpg

Looks like there may be oil leaks originating above the filter.
May not be the filter.
I've seen this on low hanging oil drain plugs.
Oil will seek the lowest point.

Things happen and there are some manufacturer defects on all kinds of parts. This also appears to be one of the cheap jobber Core filters. Not sure they are made to the same quality standard, but I have had an oil filter or two not properly seal within my life doing oil changes. I would just toss it out and grab another. This wouldn't make me hesitate to buy another Fram.

I remember someone posted issues with a seam on the body of the can near where the filter twists on. Did you notice anything in that area?

Originally Posted by Chris142
Originally Posted by JLTD
Double gaskets?

Nope. Faulty Fram.

That can be hard to absolutely determine. A small weep at the base to gasket weep vs a can crimp.
How did you determine it was a fault in the filter assy?

Did you clean and re-assess?

Originally Posted by JLTD
Double gaskets?

Nope. Faulty Fram.

A couple of hazy photos make it almost impossible to tell.

So far what we have is a picture of a perfectly normal appearing oil filter with what appears to be a drop of oil on the can, a picture of a perfectly normal appearing filter mount and a picture of a perfectly normal appearing base plate.

Do I have this wrong?

My first thought was the adapter gasket. I replaced that as that's a common failure. It's still leaked. I replaced the filter and it ran 30 min with no leaks. It was leaking about a drip every 5 seconds. The mess above it must be from oil being blown around . The filter is just behind the radiator.

The filter was leaking at the seam where the can meets the baseplate.

It was not a loose filter or double gasket. I believe this is a filter from a Walmart oil change.

It happens. Not too much as I think this is the 2nd I'm my life i have had leak there.

I've seen a couple of filters leak there in the 20 plus years I've been a mechanic. We had a run of Napa HD truck filters for 5.9 Cummins leaking at the crimp. They determined it was a bad batch and pulled them replacing them with a different lot number. Things happen.

Originally Posted by mazdamonky
Things happen and there are some manufacturer defects on all kinds of parts. This also appears to be one of the cheap jobber Core filters. Not sure they are made to the same quality standard, but I have had an oil filter or two not properly seal within my life doing oil changes. I would just toss it out and grab another. This wouldn't make me hesitate to buy another Fram.

Yep. Probably 1 in every 200K filters made would have a leak.

My first thought was the adapter gasket. I replaced that as that's a common failure. It's still leaked. I replaced the filter and it ran 30 min with no leaks. It was leaking about a drip every 5 seconds. The mess above it must be from oil being blown around . The filter is just behind the radiator.

The filter was leaking at the seam where the can meets the baseplate.

It was not a loose filter or double gasket. I believe this is a filter from a Walmart oil change.

It happens. Not too much as I think this is the 2nd I'm my life i have had leak there.

Shame Jay's not around anymore, you could have gotten some free new ones! Guessing it didn't leak enough to damage the customer's engine?

If this makes anyone worried about the orange can, bear in mind that the can is the same on the toughguard and ultra. The gasket is the same on the toughguard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back