Interesting eBay experience

Status
Not open for further replies.
TL; DR. An eBay seller is using a different method of shipping (with no tracking) than what was mentioned in the original listing.

I bought a $12 item on eBay that can be mailed in an envelope. The original listing says it would be mailed first class USPS, which according to google includes tracking. If it doesn't automatically mean this, I guess my question is answered.

I received a notification saying my item was shipped as well as a message from the seller saying it'll be basically mailed with a stamp with no tracking. He also said if I'd like tracking, it'd cost $3.50 more. Keep in mind, the original listing said it'd be mailed first class USPS.

All that said, there's no proof of it being shipped. The end of the message said if I don't get it in 10-12 days to let him know and to not simply open a case against him.

Does anyone else smell fish? Would it be unreasonable of me to point out that the original listing said first class USPS shipping?

Thanks in advance.

If it's an envelope, not any sort of package, I don't believe there's tracking under the first-class designation. There is a "proof of mailing" receipt and I think all that does is prove that the sender handed something to the clerk at the PO. Otherwise I think the sender would have to use certified mail to track the envelope.

A first class package includes free tracking. I first class letter does not. I don't think you are being scammed.

Yeah, I've seen this. People will send it by the cheapest way possible, and not ship the way the listing promised. He's not doing himself any favors because he can't prove he shipped it and/or received it if he needs to.

Shipping costs are a huge expense these days. To send via UPS or Fed ex with who we have pretty decent discounts, a 1 lb package to a town 60 miles away is about 6-8 bucks. USPS is several days and about $5

$5 or more for a 12 dollar item is pretty prohibitive.

Rod

It's USPS, anything is possible.

[Linked Image from pbs.twimg.com]

Btw, I misread the email. It'd cost HIM $3.50 extra to mail with tracking. He wasn't offering me the upgrade.

Thanks for all the input. If I get it, awesome. If not, hopefully he'll resend.

Last edited:
Happened to me, and I stuck it to the seller.

Started flipping freebie mowers as a hobby. Ordered bunch of B&S carb rebuild kits and extra gaskets to have on hand. Waited 10 days before I asked seller for tracking #. Said none. Waited 4 more days and filed complaint. Ebay asked me on day 16 if I had a resolution yet. Said nope. Got my money back on day 17. Day 22, package shows up.

I'm thinking the seller finally mailed my stuff out on day 16 after ebay pushed the reminder to the seller and me. I didn't bother to return the vanilla office envelope with my stuff.

I sell on ebay and have some gaskets that I am offering at $2.99 free shipping. Since they fit in a first class stamped envelope I send them that way. If I sent them with tracking the same first class postage would be at minimum $2.70 and I wouldn't be able to offer them so cheap. I sell so few of those that it really hasn't been an issue. All the other first class stuff I sell goes with a tracking number but also won't fit in a stamped envelope. So the only way the seller can offer the price he did was by using a stamped envelop which does not have tracking. The transit time should be the same though. Because free shipping is so common most people have no idea how expensive it is and that it is built into the price of the item they are buying. That said on a $12 item I would eat the extra cost and mail it with a tracking number anyway.

Last edited:
I have a small business on eBay shipping mainly very small parts which usually weigh less a 4 ounces with a value of $3.00 - $10.00 or so. Depending on the weight I mostly use a .70 stamp...sometimes a "regular" first class stamp. Adding tracking with eBays discount on up to a 4 oz package increases the cost to $2.66 -$3.09 depending on Zip code. This added cost on a $3 item makes my parts not competitive.....so I roll the dice and ship them first class mail...trusting the mail to get there and the end buyere to not be dishonest and say they did not receive the items. Out of thousands of items shipped I have had a handful of mailings gone bad....

A 10 pack of 1K ohm 1/4 watt resistors I bought from an Ebay seller was shipped first class letter with no tracking. Keeps the overall prices down if the seller does not have to pay tracking.

order watch batteries and get them mostly in an envelope. when i pay $2.50 for 10 2032 batteries ship i don't care too much how it gets to home

Most buyers are honest, and most sellers are honest. Sometimes things happen, and eBay usually sides with the buyer.

Overall, I'd say there is 0% risk for buying on eBay.

Sellers have a much higher % of being screwed even if they are doing the right thing. Too bad..

Originally Posted by dlundblad
TL; DR. An eBay seller is using a different method of shipping (with no tracking) than what was mentioned in the original listing.

I bought a $12 item on eBay that can be mailed in an envelope. The original listing says it would be mailed first class USPS, which according to google includes tracking. If it doesn't automatically mean this, I guess my question is answered.

I received a notification saying my item was shipped as well as a message from the seller saying it'll be basically mailed with a stamp with no tracking. He also said if I'd like tracking, it'd cost $3.50 more. Keep in mind, the original listing said it'd be mailed first class USPS.

All that said, there's no proof of it being shipped. The end of the message said if I don't get it in 10-12 days to let him know and to not simply open a case against him.

Does anyone else smell fish? Would it be unreasonable of me to point out that the original listing said first class USPS shipping?

Thanks in advance.

I love e-bay. You are protected either way. I think a mistake your are making is talking with the seller. I never message with the seller if I think something is up. In fact EBAY says not too and NEVER send a seller money unless EBAY handles it, (Im talking about that $3.50. and always communicate within Ebays system.

Forget all that stuff. Just deal with EBAY, simple as apple pie.
Look in your account, look up "buying", see what you bought, see if EBAY lists it as shipped.
If its shipped, great, you will get it, if you dont get it, its simple to submit to EBAY for a refund, easy as apple pie.
If its not shipped, its simple to submit it to EBAY and they will give you a refund, easy as apple pie.

Did I mention "easy as apple pie" ?
Hope you understand, just trying to ease your mind and Im not being a smart a__.
Dont stress, Ebay lists all the time frames a seller has to ship and for you to receive, if you dont fall in that time frame, EBAY makes is very simple to contact them from your account and they will handle it and issue a refund. Yes, it takes time but the last thing I would do is contact the seller. You use eBay for a reason and that is the service EBAY provides for you. Make sure to use it and let them deal with the seller. Then just sit back and let EBAY take care of it. Everyone is protected if you stay within the system.

Its no big deal except for lost time, care free, a buyer never loses his/her money, just use the services of EBAY and never go outside the system. (such as contacting seller through your personal email instead of ebays message system ect.

Last edited:
Give him a break. Sometimes when you duplicate a listing the shipping is changed by eBay and you miss it before listing. I've had it when that makes it a loss to sell the item. If you don't get it open a case. Simple

Originally Posted by 2strokeNorthstar
Give him a break. Sometimes when you duplicate a listing the shipping is changed by eBay and you miss it before listing. I've had it when that makes it a loss to sell the item. If you don't get it open a case. Simple

first class mail (envelope) is just a stamp and no tracking basically.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back