Cooper vs Continental SUV tires?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just purchased a parts vehicle for my 2000 Durango R/T. The parts vehicle has Cooper 265/75/17 tires. About 6,000 miles ago I bought a set of Continental 265/75/17 tires. Both have similar mileage, both have similar street treads. I'm going to sell one set. I was wondering if there was any general consensus as to which is the better overall tire? My rims are better, so keeping the Continentals will save swapping the Coopers to my rims The Coopers have to be worth swapping. Just looking for some input. Thanks!!

OOPS Should have added that TY Continental Cross Contact LX20 vs Cooper Discoverer LSX The Continentals are older

Have always considered Continental as first tier tires along with Goodyear, Goodrich, Firestone, Uniroyal, Dunlop, Michelin, Pirelli, Bridgestone, etc. while Cooper as second tier like Hankook, Toyo, Falcon, Kumho etc. That's probably more from perception than quality though.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Have always considered Continental as first tier tires along with Goodyear, Goodrich, Firestone, Uniroyal, Dunlop, Michelin, Pirelli, Bridgestone, etc. while Cooper as second tier like Hankook, Toyo, Falcon, Kumho etc. That's probably more from perception than quality though.

Cooper was far superior to the Goodyear's that came on my truck.

I'd sell the older tires.

I've had several of your "first tier" tires on vehicles in the past. The Cooper tires that I replaced them with have been much better, longer lasting tires.

Originally Posted by hatt

Cooper was far superior to the Goodyear's that came on my truck.

I'd sell the older tires.

Yep I have Coopers on my 1 ton truck and my Trans Am. Much better tire than Goodyears that came on both of them.

IME the cooper will be a sturdier tire. Conti seem to still get a surprising number of complaints about sidewall blowouts. I've had 2 sets of contis with sidewall damage. One completely failed on the highway with my ex, and the other recently bubbled out on a new civic with my son. That + the reviews make the risk real enough. I Ihave a set of their ATs on my truck and they are delightful to drive, but when it came to my wife's car last month, as much as I wanted to go conti based on my experience with their new A/T, we settled on BFG for her. If you're ok with the risk, go with the conti. If you want a sturdier tire, go with the cooper.

I did a quick opinion search on the Conti tire for you... This may help.
The heavier the truck (like yours) the worse the owners felt about them. I must agree. I had a set of All season crossover Conti's on my AWD. The traction was so, so but they wore out in less than 30K. I saw the same comment in multiple threads. The only vehicles that got any mileage out of them appear to be light SUV's.
I'd go with the Cooper's. My experience with Cooper tires are only on a passenger car but I was happy with them. My Cooper's were also so, so on traction but I got great mileage from them.
I hope this helps you.

'05 Mustang
'16 F-150
'04 Sebring

Past fleet - drove until dead
'05 Freestyle
'00 Durango
'92 LeBaron

I'll stop there.
All but the '16 and the '04 are or were over 250K miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back