Twisted drive shaft real or fake?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would you think this was fake? lol Like Fawteen said above, you could easily google "twisted driveshaft" and see hundreds of images of them.

If the U joint doesn;t blow this is very common with high torque/ high traction cars.

There are AWD Honda's twisting driveshafts in drag racing now.

Originally Posted by Ihatetochangeoil
I think the picture is real.

https://indrotech.com.au/twisted-driveshaft/

scroll down the page a little for more twists...

Tx for the link.. crazy. I guess Arco's right about the torque multiply. I woulda thought the U joint would give out first but obviously not.

Originally Posted by jayg
Why would you think this was fake? lol Like Fawteen said above, you could easily google "twisted driveshaft" and see hundreds of images of them.

If the U joint doesn;t blow this is very common with high torque/ high traction cars.

There are AWD Honda's twisting driveshafts in drag racing now.

Guess because I couldn't see it happening on a stock ride maybe and with a full shaft to boot. Plus I would have guessed that the U joint gives out first but apparently that's not the case every time.

Last edited:
In the power business that is quite common. You go till you can't go no mo then you get the dozer and drag it the rest of the way in. They tell us that one little dent in the shaft is the death of the shaft very soon. And yes they look just like the one in the pic shortly before they pull out of the slip, snap a ujoint or twist in half

Originally Posted by P10crew
In the power business that is quite common. You go till you can't go no mo then you get the dozer and drag it the rest of the way in. They tell us that one little dent in the shaft is the death of the shaft very soon. And yes they look just like the one in the pic shortly before they pull out of the slip, snap a ujoint or twist in half

Yeah I could imagine at those torque levels any imperfection or anything else that compromises the OE integrity is gonna be exposed quick like.

"You go till you can't go no mo then you get the dozer and drag it the rest of the way in." - that's funny ðŸ‘

It's real simple math. 400 megawatt transmission line out of service.
Average rate at your home is 7-9 cents per kilowatt hour. If customers are out or system stability is at risk that drive shaft is chump change. Meh it's not even chump change at that point.

I have twisted them and broke them in my WS6.

Broken one from the WS6 on a launch at the track.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by ls1mike

That's precisely the reason I quit using drag radials on any street type car at the strip.

All my times are on street tires

Originally Posted by SteveSRT8
Originally Posted by ls1mike

That's precisely the reason I quit using drag radials on any street type car at the strip.

All my times are on street tires

That was on street tires. Good track prep.

I don't run a stock driveshaft anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back