Fram Ultra - Hot Tub Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry for the click bait. No, Fram doesn't make a Hot Tub filter (but I bet K&N does or will
lol.gif
). Does anybody know if there is a better synthetic filter available for Hot Tubs?

Any and all info would be appreciated. I'm new to Hot Tubs and bought a cheap paper filter off of Amazon to get going. Would like to buy a better one next time.

Thanks in advance!

What brand hot tub? I have the Tri-X filters for my Hot Spring and just hit them with the pressure washer on occasion. They do a great job.

I use Unicel filters. Hose off and reinsert. I have a few. I soak in soap cleaner and chlorine then rinse well, allow to dry and place in box for next year. I rotate filters on a yearly basis. Clean the in-service filter monthly or as needed based on use and condition. Keep the water properly balanced. Local pool/hot tub store should test for free and see the required products.

not enough flow to be effective and only as good as a basic sand filter.

Interesting idea though !

UD

It's been 10-13 years since I took care of a swimming pool for someone. Hot tubs tend to use proprietary filters, and they are all are pleated paper unlike a pool filter which uses glass media leaf elements or diatomaceous earth. They don't use off-the-shelf Hayward or Pentair filters.

Go to a pool store and ask them what they have.

IMO, maintenance and chemistry matter more than filters. I've had great success with the BBB method: regular Bleach(has to be more than 5.25% sodium hypochlorite) for chlorine, Baking soda to control pH and Borax to control alkalinity. I could be wrong on the role of the last two but it's cheaper than buying pool chlorine tablets and alkalinity up. I still had HTH for shocking the pool and muriatic acid to decrease pH. I avoid chlorine tablets or granules unless they are HTH with calcium hypochlorite. Tablets/granules use trichlor( trichloroisocyanuric acid)/dichlor(dichloro-s-triazinetrione) which is stabilized chlorine. You need a little cyanuric acid to stabilize chlorine but not too much to keep it from doing its job.

https://www.swimmingpoollearning.com/bbb-method-for-pool-care

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back