Two Fram Ultras for our application? Machinists help....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by SHOZ
But a 22mm filter will screw onto a 3/4-16 mount. Fits loose though.

There's a 0.116 inch (nearly 1/8 inch) difference between those two thread sizes. I could see a 20 mm threading onto a 3/4 spud, but a 22 mm on a 3/4 spud seems like there wouldn't be any thread engagement. If there's enough thread engagement then it's probably why using the wrong filter can cause the wrong filter to blow off the mount.

I can't even imagine knowingly using an oil filter with the wrong thread
crazy2.gif

There is no way the threads would engage at all between a 22mm and 3/4. It would be so sloppy you'd immediately know something was wrong. There are a couple filter sizes that can be mixed up, I think it's 18mm and 3/4 is one, but I can't recall for sure. Some guys at work used to do it all the time on our gas welders, you could tell the wrong filter was installed because it would rock back and forth on the threads just a bit as you were (un)screwing it in, but otherwise it would tighten up and appear to work just fine. It felt loose enough that I was always concerned that oil could make its way through the threads (in essence, oil bypassing the filter.)

I can't imagine someone mixing up a 22mm and 3/4 oil filter, the difference is huge. I just tried putting a 3/4-10 bolt in the 22mm and it falls right in. Admittedly not the same thread pitch as a 3/4-16 but the diameter of the thread should be similar. If someone happened to get one to thread somehow, it would be immediately obvious that something is wrong.

[Linked Image from cdn1.imggmi.com]

There are no sizes of inch and metric threads that are interchangeable. None.
It's like comparing apples and bowling balls.

The notion that it would be used in a pressure containing application is even more worrying.
33.gif

Originally Posted by JLTD
A bit of a dilemma -- planning to go with the Ultra as it is an absolute BEAR to reach the oil filter on our 2008 Jeep Liberty and changing less frequently will be a happy situation.

Note on the page linked below that there's two different Ultra filters.... A metric 22mm thread and an English 3/4" thread. Any machinists here that can say if they are interchangeable or not? From some (admittedly brief) reading online it appears not, so I'm thinking of taking a filter that fits to the hardware store, and find a "template bolt" that I can test on an Ultra to make sure to get the right one.

Any other smart ideas for making sure it's the right fit? Test fitting it on the vehicle is NOT an option due to the difficult location. (and the YouTube videos show the wrong vehicle, the configuration was changed sometime during the model year)

https://www.fram.com/parts-search/?...T1IDUA2AAgGYAdAHZademAAWLXgBF07UgCoQAXSA

Commentary/speculation/expertise/criticism appreciated--

Oh no, he's gone to the DARK SIDE!
shocked2.gif

Originally Posted by 92saturnsl2
Chrysler has used 3/4-16 filters for eons. That's the correct thread size for your application. Only vehicles I've ever come across that use a 22mm thread filter were Fords.

Originally Posted by mattwithcats
2008 Jeep Liberties use a Fram 3600 or equivalent, 3/4-16 thread...

2009 and up Jeep Liberty's use a Fram 10060, M22 X 1.5...

The question is, when did they make the change?

End of year, or mid year?

You guys have the right of it....3/4" thread and the 3600 is what I'm after. Finally had the chance to go have a look and compare to a filter that fits. Thanks much!

Mattwithcats, don't know when they changed it...after ours was built though.
lol.gif

Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter
Originally Posted by JLTD
A bit of a dilemma -- planning to go with the Ultra as it is an absolute BEAR to reach the oil filter on our 2008 Jeep Liberty and changing less frequently will be a happy situation.

Oh no, he's gone to the DARK SIDE!
shocked2.gif

Uh oh....haha perhaps. At the last change I started running an Amsoil filter for 1 year or 25k....the Fram is $8 compared to $15.40 for the Amsoil....almost twice as much for 5,000 more miles is not worth it.

I'm also moving away from $9.01 per quart Amsoil, which costs ~$108 for a year's change on both our vehicles, not including top offs in the Jeep. Some may say the difference in cost is negligible, but ST Syn at around 7,500 miles twice a year comes out to ~$83.00. Trying Schaeffer first, to see if I can get the 9000 to go a full year; that's only $80/ year if it has the endurance.

Wow now that I posted all that up, it does look like a trivial difference.
33.gif
Perhaps I need to do less BITOG overthinking!
beer3.gif

22-1.5 metric threads are 16.9 threads per inch. 3/4-16 are 16 threads per inch.I use the XG10575 Ultra on my 08' 4.8 GM. It is also 22-1.5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back