Toyota Sienna FWD in Snow / Ice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Regardless with 2WD vehicles and whether you have 3PMS tires or not, still have to follow California and Nevada laws, or risk having a bad weekend.

https://dot.ca.gov/travel/winter-driving-tips/chain-controls

https://www.nevadadot.com/safety/safe-winter-driving/traction-and-chain-requirement-descriptions

Originally Posted by Nevada requirements
Traction Requirements on Certain Tahoe Roads
Certain Tahoe-area highways now require any vehicle traveling without tire chains during winter chain restrictions to be four-wheel or all-wheel drive with snow tires.

A traction requirement sign notification on a Tahoe highway
All vehicle types with chain or snow tires were previously allowed during chain requirements. Under the new requirement, only four-wheel or all-wheel vehicles with snow tires and all vehicles with approved tire chains will be allowed when chain requirements are in place on the following state roads:

State Route 431 (Mt. Rose Highway)
State Route 207 (Kingsbury Grade)
U.S. 50- between Glenbrook and Carson City
Tire and chain requirements will not change on other highway corridors. Learn more information about the updated requirements from the news release on the NDOT website.

Note, snow tires by the law's definition is not 3PMS, but M+S with minimum of 3/16" tread.

I have a 2013 Sienna FWD and live in the NE. It does fine with good all-season tires. The issue with the Sienna and all minivans is the weight distribution of the vehicle, 68%-32%. I think you're fine with what you are trying to do but I would carry chains for the occasional time you need it in Lake Tahoe. Enjoy.

Had some friends come and visit in January and they got a FWD Sienna with all seasons. Like others have said, it felt like the weight distribution didn't give it great traction and the heater kind of sucked.

Buy a set of cheap chains for the few times you go skiing. Practice putting them on at home before you are doing it on the side of the road in a snowstorm.

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
We haven't discussed remaining tread depth. Worn out M & S tires are a big problem everywhere.

look at the bottom of post #5271988

Originally Posted by UG_Passat

Note, snow tires by the law's definition is not 3PMS, but M+S with minimum of 3/16" tread.

Haha, you're right! 3/16 " is a joke under winter conditions.

On actual snow tires 3/16" is the range where they become less effective anyway.

Transport Canada says tires at 5/32" should not be used in the snow.

Nokian WSI wears out at 4mm (about 5/32").

TireRack recommends snow tires should be replaced at 6/32" (3/16)", so it's wording of the law is still somewhat consistent.

Last edited:
I saw this Honda in the Canadian Tire parking lot this evening. It had black steelies, usually a sign of winter tires. The storage up top is for snow boards most likely. No need to go out and by an Outback!
laugh.gif

12DD14F3-71F2-4B59-B993-F1F515A2548D.jpeg

Originally Posted by UG_Passat
2014 Highlander has the Dynamic Torque control AWD system

the previous generation ended with the 2013 model year, which its Full-time AWD system had a fixed 50:50 split.

That first year, HL did not have dynamic torque control.
For 2015 HL and redesigned Sienna got that same system, except that HL can mimic "locking central diff."

I saw this Honda in the Canadian Tire parking lot this evening. It had black steelies, usually a sign of winter tires. The storage up top is for snow boards most likely. No need to go out and by an Outback!
laugh.gif

Hey, does not get better than black steel wheels on black color and tinted windows
smile.gif

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back