What happened to the real pickup trucks with regular cabs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A short box single cab pickup is the sports car of trucks. I take note when I see them.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by nascarnation
The reality is that 4dr pickups have become the new family sedan. And those short beds are still larger than most any sedan trunk.
A big percentage of the 2.4 million pickups sold last year are actually family "cars".
Americans prefer large vehicles (assuming that fuel prices are similar to current).

One reason for large trucks is for plus sized men and women. I have a buddy who needs to be shoe horned into my Taurus and then he can't do up the seatbelt. His ride is a F-350. (By the way, I'm not fat shaming anyone, it's just a fact of life).
smile.gif

I have a base model Sierra crew cab. It works perfectly for our family. It fits all four of us comfortably. (Our oldest is 13 years old and already 5'11') Hauls all of our food, clothing, tools, and toys in the bed under the cap when we travel back and forth to the cottage. I load the entire bed up with camping gear and the cab with boy scouts pretty regularly. I occasionally tow one of my fathers antique cars around then he's taking more than one to a show. I can fit 4+ bicycles under the cap and keep them (relatively) secure and out of the weather when traveling with my cycling friends. Its not my daily driver at the moment, but it will be when the old Volvo finally gives up the ghost. There are plenty of good reasons why people like crew cabs, whether they are optioned to the hilt or not.

I would think a no-option regular cab, 8 foot bed with 2WD and a 6 cylinder engine can be had for very low 30's on order. If you hunt around, you may be able to find a dealer with a regular cab, 8 foot bed with a few options for about the same, if not less if it has been sitting on the lot for any length of time.

Going to 4WD, V8, optional interior and appearance packages adds the $$ quickly. Of course, that is what 99% of today's buyers demand.

Originally Posted by JHZR2

As an owner of a regular cab truck, which I absolutely love, I'll say however, that it's about as impractical a vehicle as I could get. With a tonneau cover it gives some useful bed space, but then if stuff shifts forward, you're climbing under the tonneau six feet to grab it. So it's great for carrying stuff, or as a single person vehicle, but anything else is marginal. Sort of like two door cars.

That is about what I found. I put a cap onto my truck to make it into a station wagon. Albeit with the cargo space well isolated (can't smell trash when I make a run to the transfer station). But boy is it annoying to climb up in there to get anything against the wall of the truck; if I didn't have the cap on it'd be no better, since modern full sized trucks are so tall. If I were to replace mine I'd probably go to an SUV just to make the cargo space easier to reach into--I have a couple of trailers for when I need to move "lots" of stuff, and they seem to do it much better to boot (open trailer, and an enclosed trailer that I can walk into without banging my head). Unfortunately that enclosed trailer is probably at the limit of most smaller SUV's so I would wind up full sized. Once that trailer is gone I'll probably get a minivan and deal with how bad it is in snow.

I drive a Ford Ranger. It has a 6 ft bed that's about 4.5 ft wide. It's more than enough to haul everything I've ever needed to haul. It's an extended cab, so I can carry straps, recovery gear, and other stuff inside the cab easily. The one thing it does not do well is carrying people. While it technically (and legally) could carry 3 people, everyone will be uncomfortable (I know from experience). A driver and one passenger is all you can reasonably and comfortably fit. Needless to say, when the whole family is going somewhere (wife and 2 kids, 3rd kid on the way), we take one of the other cars. So, if I had to have only one vehicle that can do everything, I'd probably choose a half-ton with crew cab and 5.5 ft bed. Even though it's 6" shorter than my Ranger bed, the extra width makes up for it and it still has more cu ft total. Crew cab means the whole family, possibly even with having 3 baby seats in back, can fit. I can definitely see the appeal and the practicality. But I felt the best choice for me was to keep the Ranger for "stuff" hauling and add a minivan to the fleet for family hauling.

My dad is a farmer and has owned dozens of pickups. At one time, I think he owned 5 different trucks at once.

Fords and Chevies, one Ram with the Cummins. Always single cab, never crew cab or even extended cab. Long bed that usually has the front of it taken up with a diesel tank and toolbox. Usually low trim levels, often 4x4. Some half ton, some 3/4 and sometimes with large engines. Always filthy inside and out (sorry, Dad!) Only one diesel, and one dually flatbed. In the last few years, he's switched to mostly automatics, although in years past, he tended to have more manuals.

My neighbor lives in a suburb and commutes to downtown. He has a crew cab half-ton. It's kept spotless. There are a lot more people like my neighbor than my dad these days...

one thing no one has mentioned is the single cab is much eaiser to heat and cool. I stay toasty in winter and cool in florida heat and yes it get very cold in north florida

One last thought. I had an early 2000's Ford F-250 with what they called a super cab. The back had suicide doors with a narrow bench seat that could seat a few people (uncomfortably) for a short while. Also good for dogs, and inside storage of tools and other stuff.

Here is the big thing, it had a 6 foot, 7 inch long bed which was plenty good for just about anything, even moved close to two tons of gravel several times in its life. It was not all that much fun as a daily driver though, stiff ride, poor gas mileage, very wide turning radius, etc.

I love single cab long beds and is why I keep this one. 454/4L80E 4x4 and only about 118,000 miles on it. I also have the green one for when I need more cab room. It only has about 138,000 miles on it and I bought it new.

For the price of new ones these days, I'm content to drive these older "Classics" LOL

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Originally Posted by wtd
I love single cab long beds and is why I keep this one. 454/4L80E 4x4 and only about 118,000 miles on it. I also have the green one for when I need more cab room. It only has about 138,000 miles on it and I bought it new.

For the price of new ones these days, I'm content to drive these older "Classics" LOL

Wow! Those trucks are CLEAN. Nice job!

Originally Posted by 4WD
As mentioned … spotted a 4WD F150 with a 2.7 ecoboost for $30k in Houston

Around here there a few 2019 4WD Silverado regular cabs for $27 sticker. Of course it's with the 4.3 which is plenty quick in a single cab.

Originally Posted by jeepman3071
Originally Posted by wtd

Wow! Those trucks are CLEAN. Nice job!

Thanks, I try to keep them that way.

I'm also content with my old regular cab chevy but I don't use it as a daily driver. It isn't depreciating anymore and any repairs or maintenance that come up are easily taken care of by myself so it costs very little to keep.
I prefer a compact, fuel efficient car as my daily commuter and use the truck for truck duty and as a backup second vehicle.
The new trucks are nice but I can't justify the price for my usage.
[Linked Image]

Last edited:
I have a 91 Chevrolet regular cab pickup with an 8 ft bed and love it. 4.3 engine, 4x4, probably about 120k on the odometer. Rusty but runs great. Plan on running it another 5-10 years if all goes well.

Originally Posted by dareo
They were huge and wasted a lot of space with long hoods and bumpers so you didnt even get that great of interior space. Not to mention horrible mpg while still being slow to accelerate. Then the chrysler mini van came along and started killing the great wagon. SUVs and nice crew cab trucks took a lot of mini van sales and here we are today. A fantastic family wagon like the TourX barely musters a thousand unit sales a month. I am good with the low sales and exclusivity.

The TourX will be discontinued within 2 years.......no doubt.

Only peeve i have with the new trucks is the satellite antenna perched above the drivers side of the roof, they could have centered it at the back of the roof with a longer cable.
smirk2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back