Anyone still using 20w50?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by CharlieJ
What applications would need a 40w-70 oil?

From the web site:
"For use in 4, 6 and 8+ cylinder naturally aspirated, supercharged and turbocharged petrol engines. It is particularly suited for use under high load conditions such as towing and competition or where ambient temperatures are high.

Recommended for use in vehicles where SAE 20W-50, SAE 25W-50 and 25W-60 multigrade or where SAE 50 monograde engine oils were originally recommended by the manufacturer. It can be used where API SL and previous API SJ (1995-2000), SH (1992-1995), SG (1989-1992) or earlier specifications are recommended.

Suitable for use in engines showing signs of excessive oil consumption and can be used to provide protection for older and worn engines that require a heavier viscosity engine oil to maintain oil pressure."

I use it regularly on my Craftsman Riding mower (Kohler engine) and my Husqvarna push mower. No issues. I bought two 5-qt jugs of the 20w50 Maxlife a few years ago & kept it in my stash.

Originally Posted by mpack88
You must like that tick oil. Lol I never seen oil's like 20w60 or 10w60

Penrite HPR30 (20W-60) mineral
API SM, ACEA A3/B3
KV100 = 25 cSt
Ca = 3630 ppm
TBN = 11.1
Zinc = 1530 ppm
SA = 1.47 %

This was the performance racing oil of my youth, and the oil I ran in my HJ Kingswood when driving the outback.

Very common in South Africa, at parts stores you will find it is held by all major brands. Nothing wrong with it, most older vehicles require it.

Originally Posted by SR5
Originally Posted by mpack88
You must like that tick oil. Lol I never seen oil's like 20w60 or 10w60

Penrite HPR30 (20W-60) mineral
API SM, ACEA A3/B3
KV100 = 25 cSt
Ca = 3630 ppm
TBN = 11.1
Zinc = 1530 ppm
SA = 1.47 %

This was the performance racing oil of my youth, and the oil I ran in my HJ Kingswood when driving the outback.

Just reading those numbers is making me
20.gif

I've used 20W-50, as specified in the Owner's Manual, in my '73 Alfa Romeo Spider since I drove it off the dealer's lot new in January 1974. Until about 4-5 years ago I used mostly Castrol GTX. When I became aware of the great "Zinc Debate" a few years, I shifted to Valvoline VR-1 racing oil. The old girl only gets about 500 to 750 miles a year and it gets changed once a year. The engine's never been overhauled and it doesn't burn any oil. I'll make no promises on it not leaking a little oil but as owners of old British and Italian cars well know, it it doesn't leak a little oil then it must be out of oil....

Originally Posted by CAPTREJ
I've used 20W-50, as specified in the Owner's Manual, in my '73 Alfa Romeo Spider since I drove it off the dealer's lot new in January 1974. Until about 4-5 years ago I used mostly Castrol GTX. When I became aware of the great "Zinc Debate" a few years, I shifted to Valvoline VR-1 racing oil. The old girl only gets about 500 to 750 miles a year and it gets changed once a year. The engine's never been overhauled and it doesn't burn any oil. I'll make no promises on it not leaking a little oil but as owners of old British and Italian cars well know, it it doesn't leak a little oil then it must be out of oil....

That VR1 you're dumping out with 500 to 750 miles is nearly brand new oil.
VR1 Has a high Total base number and could easily go two years or more in your application.
So as long as each time you drive it it warms up fully, which is the case i assume as it sounds like that Alfa of yours is a weekend car more than anything else.

My Capri loooves some 20W-50, it's the specified grade for the type of temperatures we see here in the Mediterranian.
The car has over 300k miles, it's on its second engine which now has around 180k, the original one died in June 1991 after being driven at more than 120mph for too long on the Autobahn in Germany!
The current engine hasn't had any major work done to it, i only replaced the valve stem seals back in 2016 so now it burns no oil at all, oil pressure is still good on the specified 20W-50, compression is also still healthy and even across all 6 cylinders and it doesn't feel down on power.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]IMG_20191121_171126 by Laurie Lindh, en Flickr

Last edited:
I use it in my Rx-7, which is specced for 5W30 through 20W50

The engine design makes it so that oil is about 1/3 of the cooling, and the lack of valvetrain means that cold start wear is only on the eccentric shaft / rotor bearings. There is also an oil thermostat which prevents oil flow until warm, so thinner oil wouldn't matter as it isn't flowing.

There is no advantage to going to a thinner oil with the exception of starting speed, and the heavy oil helps fight fuel dilution.

I generally use the heaviest oil the car specifies, unless it's winter.

Originally Posted by WondrousBread
I generally use the heaviest oil the car specifies

This is what I have always done too.

Thicker base-oils tend to be more shear-resistent and high-temperature-stable (HTHS & NOACK) than a thinner base-oil of the same group.
This increases the wear-protection especially on e.g. the bearing surfaces of the engine.

There are numerous BMW engine-series that suffer from engine failure due to bearing wear as early as ~100k mls, in most cases these cars have been run with the dealership 5W-30 oils. Cars that run thicker base oils e.g. 10W-40 or 15W-50 often make it further on these stock bearings.

In my daily driver, I stick to 10w-40 or 5w-40 oils during the winter, during the summer I use penrite 15w-50.

If your owners manual allows you to put in a thicker oil and cold temperature starts are not an issue in your region, you can very well take advantage of the physical properties of a thicker oil. Especially with an older engine design or an high-mileage vehicle.

Last edited:
The mid-80's Lotus 910 engines—such as in the Turbo Esprit (Federal/US) version with Bosch K-Jetronic fuel injection typically run 20w-50 (per the owners manual). My 1986 HCi has the Mobil 1 V-Twin oil in it with a Lotus-branded filter, but the VR-1 is also run by enthusiasts. There is quite a lot of debate on the two Lotus forums when the subject of oils comes up (*any* oil, including transmission and brake fluids), and BITOG has really helped inform my decisions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back