2016 Ford 3.5EB ~9.6K miles Valvoline Premium Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Valvoline Premium Blue 15w40 8600es
Very light towing this round, could almost say none as the trailer is super light.

Actually 9600 miles not 9500. Weird that it lined up like that

Delo 15w40 CJ went back in

[Linked Image]

Did you use this oil on previous runs as well? wear metals look good. Viscosity looks to be on the thick end compared to previous UOAs.

Last edited:
Fe wear rates are dropping slightly, and they were already good to begin with. Now they're below 2ppm/1k miles; very desirable. Other metals very low.
No contamination to speak of anywhere.
All desirable news.

What's initiating your OCIs? Is it the IOLM? Or just a matter of a convenient time to OCI?
10k miles is a minimum; could easily go further.

Originally Posted by dnewton3
Fe wear rates are dropping slightly, and they were already good to begin with. Now they're below 2ppm/1k miles; very desirable. Other metals very low.
No contamination to speak of anywhere.
All desirable news.

What's initiating your OCIs? Is it the IOLM? Or just a matter of a convenient time to OCI?
10k miles is a minimum; could easily go further.

Doing changes based on a few factors. Generally if it's between 7500 and 10,000 and I have the time it gets done. I'll probably think about extending this to 12,500 next change to see what happens.

Originally Posted by mattd
Did you use this oil on previous runs as well? wear metals look good. Viscosity looks to be on the thick end compared to previous UOAs.

Yes previous oil was the same. Before that it was Castrol 0w40

Why not use the 8600 10w30 version of valvoline premium blue? It has HTHS=3.5 which is above Ford's recommendation of at least HTHS 2.9. Your 15w40 thick soup has HTHS 4.3, another category.
3.5 is plenty extra for fuel dilution and FL heat.

Originally Posted by paoester
Why not use the 8600 10w30 version of valvoline premium blue? It has HTHS=3.5 which is above Ford's recommendation of at least HTHS 2.9. Your 15w40 thick soup has HTHS 4.3, another category.

Because I got the 15w40 on sale. LoL that's the bitog way, right?

BTW it has delo in it now because I had 2 gallons on the shelf.
I don't think this engine cares what oil is in it to some extent.

Originally Posted by jetman
Looks to me to be thickening a little, possibly due to oxidation. Virgin viscosity is 15.1 @ 100 C. Otherwise looks good.

Here the product data sheet:
VPB 15w40 info

What scenarios cause thickening? I will look up oxidation issues

[/quote]What scenarios cause thickening? I will look up oxidation issues[/quote]

The following is from the Polaris Lab website
Viscosity
Viscosity is a measurement of a fluid's resistance to flow at temperature. In other words, viscosity is the film strength or thickness of the oil. A change in viscosity can be an indication of many problems such as oxidation, nitration, water contamination, soot contamination (engines), shearing (when molecules are split), coolant contamination or mixing lubes with different viscosities.
Oxidation
Everything that is exposed to oxygen will eventually oxidize. Oil is exposed to extreme heat as well as oxygen. As temperatures increase, so does the rate of oxidation. For every 18° F above 160° F, the oxidation rate of the oil doubles. Oxidation produces acids that cause the oil to thicken and in the process also cause corrosive wear.

Here is a link to a blog about oxidation:

Oxidation info link

Last edited:
Viscosity is not getting too high. No excessive problem there.
It went from KV100 15.1 to 15.9. Very much not a problem. The 1-sigma lab error is probably 0.4 alone, so no way that is a lot of change.

Too much oxidation is a bad thing, but that's WAY past where we're seeing here. This is "normal" oxidation, and it's evolving into it's desirable state. Oxidation, in and of itself, is not a bad thing; it has it's benefits. Oxidation is a major contributor to the desirable formation of the TCB (tribo-chemical barrier) which forms on parts and provides a protective layer against wear by reducing friction. This is discussed in detail in the SAE study 2007-01-4133 by Ford and Conoco.
Buy and read this: https://www.sae.org/publications/technical-papers/content/2007-01-4133/

Do not become overly concerned with oil characteristics; they are inputs to the situation.
Focus on outputs; the results of wear analysis tell us everything is in very good shape.

Longer OCIs are certainly within reach. A careful, methodical approach to OCI extension is warranted.

Originally Posted by paoester

Hard to argue with the results, minimal wear metals. I think this oil worked pretty well.

Looks fine if you didn't change it until 12-15K miles you would not have hurt a thing. I would keep a eye on the potassium it's not elevated but it did increase just a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back