Walmart Auto Center Oil Change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by chainblu
If the price you paid was $44.95, I'd say you still got a good deal. However, I would want to know why they switched it.... or if was even written up correctly.

This was true 2 years ago and true today!

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter
Check your drain plug! It very well could be loose or cross threaded.

Or replaced with a new cheap one made in China. This happened to me they took an hour and a half to get my oil changed. When I got back home from my trip I discovered what they had done. Last time ever for a WM oil change.

A new cheap one...?

It's a bolt. How could you even tell, and why would it matter? I could see being upset if they binned a magnetic drain plug, but why would you have a mag drain plug and take your car to a quick lube?

Originally Posted by painfx
Originally Posted by The Critic
EB= Ecobox

Would it be better to buy the oil in the walmart store, then giving it to them?

I also heard now they are sucking out the oil vs draining it out.

Eco boxes contain the exact same oil as the bottles. Now bulk oil is different. It is usually pumped by trunk from a supplier. My Walmarts supplier is Pennzoil. Depending on the region it's Pennzoil or Castrol with some Valvoline sprinkled here and there. It seems to me it's a 3rd party oil company that Pennzoil oks to be sold as Pennzoil. Not once has Pennzoil delivered but a regional supplier.

You can give them bottles oil but it's not financially better to do so. If any thing have them pull a bottled oil off the shelf.

My Walmart carries Quaker State for pit crew (conventional). Pennzoil for standard (conventional). Supertech Synthetic is sold under the High Mileage price. Pennzoil High Mileage and sometimes Castrol High mileage. Then Pennzoil, Castrol, and Mobil for synthetic. And a "ACC" branded Fram Extra Guard for all the oil changes. Again any filter or oil will usually be a up charge.

Some Walmarts "suck oil" or as we call EVAC. Or they drain. My store exclusively drains as it's quicker. Only time I EVAC is if the plug is trashed. There's no reason not to pull the plug if the filter is right beside it. Biggest reason I hate EVAC depending on the engine it will only suck half or so of the oil out. Some engines I can suck even more than pulling the plug.

It cant hurt to go back and ask them, its a valid question, you paid for Pennzoil and not sure what you received, you may get a gift card for another free oil change.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Merkava_4
As soon as I read the thread title, my first thought was, "What went wrong ?"

It is always a good idea to double check and look things over after having your vehicle worked on.

Our dad had new tires put on our 1991 F150 years ago, I was standing in the yard when he came home and even before he pulled in the driveway I knew something was up. I could hear a metallic clanking as he came down the road. Turned out that one of the hubcaps was coming loose and rattling around. Thankfully, it didn't come off completely, did lose one of the screws though. Tightened up the remaining ones that were left and the hubcap never loosened up after that.
Dad had the tires done at Walmart.

The biggest mistake was also done at Walmart. Our dad bought his 2006 Tundra brand new. No one changed the oil for six years but me. Made sure to use good oil and filters (Pennzoil PP and PU, and Mobil 1), it was the nicest vehicle he had ever owned and he wanted to take care of it. Then, in 2012, he was working in a glass plant in Wa. He had towed his travel trailer there in February. He finished the work in August and was getting ready to come home. He talked about changing the oil, I asked him the mileage, when he said what it was, I told him it would be okay until he came home, and I could change it then.
He said he wanted fresh oil for the trip home, and that he could change the oil at one of our close friend's house over there. For the trip, he went to Walmart and had new tires put on. While there, he had them change the oil. He told me on the phone that night, and he was getting ready to leave the next day. I was a little torqued at him, for six years I changed the oil when it needed it and used good filters (Bosch Distance Plus) and was careful not to clunk or bang anything around when I worked on his truck and he took it to a Walmart auto tire and oil place where the people working there don't care about his truck? Yeah, I was a little upset.

I told him to look it over, and at the very least, check the oil level. He told me he would. The next day, he calls as he and Mom were on the road. I asked if he checked the oil level, and he said he was in a hurry and did not. I told him the next time he stopped for gas to check it.

We live in Indiana, he drove across the country, from Wa, towing his travel trailer. After arriving home, I asked about it, and he never did check the oil level. My brother and I knew something was up as soon as they got home. The engine was noisy and rough. Checked the dipstick, it wasn't even on the dipstick. Added oil, it took over 2 quarts to bring it up to the full mark. Changed the oil as soon as we could. Later, we found the receipt from Walmart. It said it was filled with 5 quarts. The Tundra takes 6.5-7 quarts.
We told him that God was good to him and helped them come home without breaking down. This was August, he towed the trailer across the country, in 90 degree heat in certain areas, two quarts low. The Lord was watching out for them.

Moral of the story? Always double check things.

Originally Posted by njohnson
Originally Posted by Merkava_4
As soon as I read the thread title, my first thought was, "What went wrong ?"

It is always a good idea to double check and look things over after having your vehicle worked on.

Yup, I told this story many times in here. Sent my daughter a few years back to Sears to get her oil changed, wife went with her.
When I got home from work I checked the oil and filter, still the old oil and old filter on the car.
This happened at Sears auto center..
Turns out the kid they had change the oil, put the car on the lift and then went out back to smoke a cig. Never changed the oil, just pretended too.

I can clear this up. You have no idea what you got, neither does anyone on this forum, unless the guy that changed your oil is on this forum or you watched the entire process, including the witnessing of the breaking of the seal on the container of oil. That's the sad truth regardless of what oil you requested, or what oil your receipt, sticker, etc says.

All I'd worry about is whether they put the right viscosity in. If I were in your situation I'd try and find perhaps a small independent shop with a decent rate, or at least buy the oil and pay for the change only. This world ain't what it used to be.

Originally Posted by Silver
I can clear this up. You have no idea what you got, neither does anyone on this forum, unless the guy that changed your oil is on this forum or you watched the entire process, including the witnessing of the breaking of the seal on the container of oil. That's the sad truth regardless of what oil you requested, or what oil your receipt, sticker, etc says.

WINNAR!!!!!!

What's worse is that although it is VERY good advice to check your car AFTER it has been worked on, many shops, even independent ones get down right angry at you when you do this, even when you try and be discrete about doing so at the shop, (I try to be a quick as possible and not too noticeable) One shop I went to as a long time customer, (they did reasonably decent work but occasionally would forget to tighten the oil filter down so maybe a weep, left nut for CV axle a bit loose) Well one day I was checking my Honda after I had them do an oil change, valve cover gasket, and trans fluid change....The owner comes out and literally growls at me and starts yelling at me for checking the car..I mean it was ridiculous I took the high road and explained why I was concerned as this car always seemed a bit jinxed and trouble prone, he was having none of it and told me never to check my cars on his property again, well since I had paid for the work I didn't want to argue with him if I did have to return with any problems so I just said OK and goodbye. I figured the guy was having a bad day or whatever and that he would call back in a week and apologize for the attitude....but he NEVER did...I never went back. and he lost many thousands of dollars of work from me each year..his loss.

^^there you go, you never went back, good for you^^
I welcome my customers to watch me work if they want too when installing security. Im proud of my work and my ethics and have no problem what so ever for the skeptical customers, in fact I enjoy the conversation with people and explain what things are, it becomes apparent when they watch me that there is nothing funny going on and they relax. Makes me wonder if your guy had something to hide or guilty of, if not you, with other customers.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back