Battery warranty Issue at Pep Boys

Status
Not open for further replies.
In December 2018 my son purchased a Grp 51r Bosch AGM 5yr warranty battery from Pep Boys. Unfortunately the battery began failing in October 2019 so he called the Pep Boys where he purchased the battery at and they stated they did not have any of those batteries in stock, nor did any other local stores. They told him that they could exchange the Bosch for a Champion but would not refund the price difference of $45. Turns out the Champ battery had the wrong size posts, so he requested to upgrade to the Optima and he would pay the $30 increase in price and they said "we cant do that", after speaking with the manager he got the same line of garbage and Pep Boys basically told him there was nothing they could do!!!!. Leaving him with at bad battery and a useless warranty. Son called 4 other area Pep Boys and pretty much got the same song and dance until one Pep Boys- (27 miles away) told him that would absolutely help him out and do the exchange for an Optima. While the one Pep Boys salvaged the day, the kind of customer service he experienced will not warrant any return shopping from this family.

Note: The boy is 21 years old and I stayed completely out of this so he could gain a little life experience.

You get rid of products that cause you warranty issues. To bad it appears Pep Boys doesn't support what they sold or their customers. Food for thought.

Yeah, I would have suggested calling corporate if they even have one. Though that might have been even worse customer service.

Originally Posted by Davejam
Yeah, I would have suggested calling corporate if they even have one. Though that might have been even worse customer service.

Yes. But another learning experience for the young lad. I would have called corporate after the first 2 stores refused to provide proper warranty assistance.

Geez, this sounds in a roundabout way about the experience another member here had. He "bought" a Bosch but they didn't have it in stock so they substituted a Champion battery but left the paperwork alone (receipt still says Bosch). Everyone here was pretty much in agreement that if the time comes for a warranty claim, the member is screwed because his paperwork says one thing but a different battery is in the car. Not sure if he ever got it sorted or not....

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
That's a good lesson for him.

Pep Boys is a terrible retail business and not surprised they are closing so many stores.

THIS.

Originally Posted by InhalingBullets
In December 2018 my son purchased a Grp 51r Bosch AGM 5yr warranty battery from Pep Boys. Unfortunately the battery began failing in October 2019 so he called the Pep Boys where he purchased the battery at and they stated they did not have any of those batteries in stock, nor did any other local stores. They told him that they could exchange the Bosch for a Champion but would not refund the price difference of $45. Turns out the Champ battery had the wrong size posts, so he requested to upgrade to the Optima and he would pay the $30 increase in price and they said "we cant do that", after speaking with the manager he got the same line of garbage and Pep Boys basically told him there was nothing they could do!!!!. Leaving him with at bad battery and a useless warranty. Son called 4 other area Pep Boys and pretty much got the same song and dance until one Pep Boys- (27 miles away) told him that would absolutely help him out and do the exchange for an Optima. While the one Pep Boys salvaged the day, the kind of customer service he experienced will not warrant any return shopping from this family.

Note: The boy is 21 years old and I stayed completely out of this so he could gain a little life experience.

First and foremost, it's great that you stayed out and let your Son "man-up" and deal with that nonsense.......its a great learning experience!
thumbsup2.gif

Secondly, its total B.S that you even have to DEAL with this issue........bottom line: you entered into an agreement (via a purchase) with a Business (Pep Boy's) and included in that agreement was a warranty (Contract) that they are not honoring.........the words "Unethical" come to mind.

That being said, extend this learning experience a little further......on the purchase receipt is a store number. Reach out to Pep Boy's Corporate and let them know how you are being treated......I can't believe how Corporations are walking all over people these days. Sadly, there are probably people out there that tuck in their tail and take this nonsense!!

Hope all works out for you.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
You get rid of products that cause you warranty issues. To bad it appears Pep Boys doesn't support what they sold or their customers. Food for thought.

And the Bosch battery was Exide, Champion is JCI. I wouldn't buy an Exide battery, either JCI or East Penn.

Between discontinuation of the product and pro-rating for lifetime, warranties on batteries and tires have always been rather useless to the consumer.

Originally Posted by mk378
Between discontinuation of the product and pro-rating for lifetime, warranties on batteries and tires have always been rather useless to the consumer.

While I agree for the most part, (I) have never had an issue returning a battery for warranty service at Autozone or tires for warranty or road hazard at Costco. Unfortunately in this case AZ did not carry a 51r AGM battery in stock.

When a part covered under warranty goes obsolete with Ford, we are supposed to either source a NOS part from another dealer, Ford will reimburse us for it. Otherwise we give the customer a refund on the part and claim it through Ford. That being said, Pep Boys needs to either make good on the warranty with an equivalent replacement battery, or provide a refund.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice

Pep Boys is a terrible retail business and not surprised they are closing so many stores.

I never have any good reason to set foot in there.

Infrequently in the past I have purchased certain items at PB because of a sale that was too good to pass up, such as the travel trailer tires a purchased there a few years ago. While that experience was less than ideal it wasn't terrible and I chalked it up to it being on a Saturday.

In stark contrast, my sons recent ordeal was on a Tuesday!

I would not buy anything at Pep Boys and I would not even let them work on my car if they want to do it for free. They are absolutely terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back