MOTUL Specific VW 508.00 Unboxing

Just arrived last night. I will have the dealer install this oil when I get my inspection sticker in December.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The French make great oil. Either Motul or Total, for all we know they meet specs they say they do.
ECSTuning sent me a batch of Castrol 508 0w20 with an OE style oil filter recently and seem to be reliable after a period where it seems everybody complained about their customer service. I think they turned that bad behavior around now !

Originally Posted by paoester
The French make great oil. Either Motul or Total, for all we know they meet specs they say they do.
ECSTuning sent me a batch of Castrol 508 0w20 with an OE style oil filter recently and seem to be reliable after a period where it seems everybody complained about their customer service. I think they turned that bad behavior around now !

I am buying for years from ECS and never, never had an issue. If something was wrong they would promptly react. That being siad, I never had issue with other too like AutohausAZ, FCP etc.

Originally Posted by paoester
Originally Posted by edyvw
I am buying for years from ECS and never, never had an issue. If something was wrong they would promptly react. That being siad, I never had issue with other too like AutohausAZ, FCP etc.

https://jalopnik.com/spying-on-employees-screwing-buyers-what-went-wrong-a-1827474482
Looks like there was a company management problem. They bought Pelican, etc,, a long story.
Should be fine now.

I heard about that. But again, I never had issues.

Originally Posted by buster
Nice what's it going in ARCO?

The VW. Dealer put unknown bulk oil during first service and wouldn't show me label on tank, I've lost 3 MPG running average and the turbo spool up is sluggish and noisy. Prior the FF felt thin but easy to get high MPG over 40 MPG when lugging around town.

Ill report if this fixes it of not. The Motul is on the low side for a 20, like the Subaru stuff.

copied off the MOTUL TDS dated 04/17

STANDARDS ACEA A1 / B1
APPROVALS VW 508 00 - 509 00
PORSCHE C20

The Porsche C20 specification is very demanding for the lubricant in terms of oil film resistance. It
applies to all PORSCHE engines requiring this standard, currently Porsche Macan R4

Drain interval: according to manufacturers' recommendations and to be adapted to your own use.
MOTUL SPECIFIC 508 00 509 00 0W-20 can be mixed with synthetic or mineral oils.
Before use always refer to the owner manual of the vehicle.
PROPERTIES
Color Visual Green
Viscosity grade SAE J 300 0W-20
Density at 20°C (68°F) ASTM D1298 0.833
Viscosity at 40°C (104°F) ASTM D445 38.5 mm2/s
Viscosity at 100°C (212°F) ASTM D445 7.8 mm2/s
Viscosity HTHS at 150°C (302°F) ASTM D4741 2.5 mPa.s
Viscosity Index ASTM D2270 179
Pour point ASTM D97 -52°C / -62°F
Flash point ASTM D92 222°C / 432°F
Sulfated ash ASTM D874 0.79% weight
TBN ASTM D2896 8.3 mg KOH/g

Last edited:
Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Have you confirmed that the dealer will do it?

Not yet, but they will do most anything. They even let me under the car when they were doing the rear spring recall. They have just been "cagey" about the oil the used on my first service. The MOTUL is VW 508.00 / 509.00 Porsche C20 approved so they shouldn't have any quibbles.
They may charge me for a full OC service, regardless of BYO lube.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by UG_Passat
Get a VOA on it.

I may get a UOA on whats in the sump now since its a mystery.

I might at least have them show me that the dumped oil is flourescent under UV like Castrol Professional would be.

I don't care about a VOA on the Motul. It is known as areal synthetic (majority PAO**), and the modern additive packages are a mystery we cant unravel so why pretend.

**See the 62degF below zero pour -point on the TDS posted in this thread.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite

I might at least have them show me that the dumped oil is flourescent under UV like Castrol Professional would be.

UV fluorescence disappears very quickly in use so is unlikely to show up in an end-of-service oil sample, even if it was there to start with. If the oil is a genuine, VW-approved 508 00/509 00 oil it should have Zr in it, which isn't routinely tested in UOAs.

Originally Posted by weasley
Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite

UV fluorescence disappears very quickly in use so is unlikely to show up in an end-of-service oil sample, even if it was there to start with. If the oil is a genuine, VW-approved 508 00/509 00 oil it should have Zr in it, which isn't routinely tested in UOAs.

Ravenol claims that there are certain unknown chemical markers in their 508/509 oil. If that's the case, those markers would be in all brands of 508/509 oils.
https://www.ravenol.de/en/product-range/motor-oils-for-passenger-cars-1/ravenol-vse-sae-0w-20/

Originally Posted by BrandonT
I posted VOA for Motul and Total, and there is a good 3rd party study done on some VW508 oils here: https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...5332/4/which-508-00-oil-would-you-choose

Thanks I re-read that.

But you Never really know how it will perform until its in the engine and on the road.

Whatever my VW dealer put in - its not factory OE quality.

I would really shy away from putting a higher viscosity higher HTHS in this engine it doesnt like it.

And I have a MT in the Jetta which is more forgiving of higher vis oils.

We will see how the MOTUL works, but Ive had issue changing oils after a Ti additised oil ( iek Castrol Pro) has been dumped.

Really long EP/AWpackage replacement time.leaving a Castrol Edge or Kendal GT dump behind, and unexplained Horrendous engine noise in the meanwhile. Had it happened TWICE so I know what to expect. High engine loading after 300- 500 miles can speed the changeover. Very Odd, but repeatable.

Last edited:
I really am amazed when someone thinks they can tell anything between changing oil viscosity.

Volvo specifies an RBSO-2AE oil for their VEA engines. These are high-end 0w20 mid-saps oils that were designed hand in hand with the VEA engine. I've had two of these engines now and changed from RBS0-2AE to a VW 504/507 oil to slimline my stocks.

Both engines I have been totally unable to feel any difference between the oils despite going from a 2.9mPAS HTHS oil to a >3.5mPAS HTHS oil.

Originally Posted by MParr
Ravenol claims that there are certain unknown chemical markers in their 508/509 oil. If that's the case, those markers would be in all brands of 508/509 oils.
https://www.ravenol.de/en/product-range/motor-oils-for-passenger-cars-1/ravenol-vse-sae-0w-20/

Correct - if an oil is formally approved by VW to 508 00/509 00 then they must contain the same marker, since it is a requirement of the specification (as is the dye, which is not UV fluorescent).

Originally Posted by Bailes1992
I really am amazed when someone thinks they can tell anything between changing oil viscosity.

Volvo specifies an RBSO-2AE oil for their VEA engines. These are high-end 0w20 mid-saps oils that were designed hand in hand with the VEA engine. I've had two of these engines now and changed from RBS0-2AE to a VW 504/507 oil to slimline my stocks.

Both engines I have been totally unable to feel any difference between the oils despite going from a 2.9mPAS HTHS oil to a >3.5mPAS HTHS oil.

Well I'm an audiophile too, so be amazed that I can tell the difference between stranded wire, non stranded wire, coated wire non coated wire and long grain copper wire. Along with differences between Cork turntable platter mats, vinyl platter mats and polymer Goldmund mats.

I am a sensitive Renaissance man trapped in a numb and dumb world
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

Back