considering a newer car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm considering getting a car to replace my Sonata. It has been paid off for years, and I'm tired of driving it.

It's worth almost nothing on trade, so I am thinking of selling it locally.

Anyways, my commute to downtown San Antonio is about 45 minutes each way. I'm 6'5'' and am looking for something comfortable.

Haven't driven anything yet, just looking online for now.

Looking for something comfortable to drive with low mileage, and warranty for about 15 grand or so.

Came down to a few..

1.) Jeep Compass loaded with sunroof, CPO around $16k
2.) VW Toureag, some CPO some not $13k-15k
3.) 2017-18 Ford Taurus, loaded about $12k. Was looking at several with the 3.5 duratec non SHO.

Any thoughts?

I have always loved the Touareg, and am absolutely in love with my TDI Sport. Looks great, rides great, gets great fuel economy, has a great warranty.

Far and away the best vehicle out of your 3 choices. It was made to a standard.

Taurus would likely be most reliable, but with that said I'd go Touareg. I'm about your height and the extra room of an suv is so nice in every way, plus more visibility and safety as a result of added weight and whatnot would push me toward the vw

Maybe it's me but I find the huge navigation screens off-putting on the new cars. Right in your face. Distraction really, surprised they are allowed. I remember a time when we looked out the window........

My sister has a Mazda CX5 that I drive her in. I am 6'1" and it has plenty of room and with the 2.5 it will almost fly. Great economy and handling.

I'd go with the VW; the Compass is underwhelming at best and the Taurus is much too big and soft for my taste.
Although you didn't mention it, I'd second the suggestion that you check out a CX-5.

dont EVEN THINK of a CVT trans no matter the brand. or the ford duel clutch trans

I would poke around at CUVs for comfort and openness. Toureag is excellent but thirsty for a 45 min commute.

Taurus is the smallest big car I have sat in for a while. It fits?

No to the Compass! The Tigershark 2.4 is... meh. No idea what Cherokee's are going for, but they had the "little" Pentastar v6 which is great engine.

If you're considering a sedan, look at a Chrysler 300. I work with a guy who is about your height. He said the Chrysler 300 was the only sedan he was truly comfortable in. Everything else he had to put the seat all the way back to fit comfortably, but in the 300 he said he actually had to move it forward a bit. Otherwise I also recommend taking a look at a CX-5.

Originally Posted by madRiver
I would poke around at CUVs for comfort. Toureag is excellent but thirsty for a 45 min commute.

I average 29.5 MPG in my TDI.

Which other SUV of its size/class can match that?

Look for a leftover 2019 VW, any type. They will have a 6 year, 72,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty! I have had four VWs and none has ever been in for warranty. Our 2019 Passat gets over 40 mpg highway and is VERY comfortable to drive for distances.

Taurus is a great car. The 3.5 Duratec is probably my most favorite modern MPFI DOHC V6. Very reliable.

You will have many speak of the horrors of the water pump leak. IDK, doesn't worry me that much. Yes the pump can leak internally, but that is when they're neglected for very long periods. If you're using coolant, get ready to change it. It is a job to do, but truthfully not that bad.

Compass is a POS. Go with the VW. The Taurus isn't bad but if you buy it get one that isn't similar in color to any local PDs. A coworker has one and he says now everyone in front of him drives 5 under the speed limit when they see him come up behind them, which is something I never even thought about.

Originally Posted by Donald
Originally Posted by red7404
dont EVEN THINK of a CVT trans no matter the brand. or the ford duel clutch trans

Why so. No issues with either Subaru CVT so far.

I think Nissan has given CVT a bad name. But I think they have cleaned up the early problems

3) A. Lincoln MKZ Hybrid

Good sound proofing, nice ride, layered glass windows won't burn your arms, AC performance should be OK for TX.
It shares the engine with the many sold Ford Fusion Hybrid.
Has way more inside space than the Taurus.

Choose good tires...
or for good depreciation, a Genesis

The Taurus is shockingly cramped. Im 6ft6 330lbs, i couldnt even fit to drive it.

Compass is underpowered but a neat car.

Toureag, while being the nicest inside will give you alot of headaches unless you enjoy fixing them. Friend of mine had one and had tons of issues, was a money pit for him.

With that said, id suggest you test drive them all and make a decision.

I'll pile on and suggest at least sitting in a CX5 to see if you fit. Anything SkyActiv is a winner in my book. Compasses are turds in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back