Brighter Headlights Are Coming

Originally Posted by JimPghPA
Look on youtube for Mercedes E-Class multibeam led. It already exists. And I remember reading something about the cost to replace those lights if the vehicle gets front end damage and it was way more than $1,000

Yes and it's disabled in the US. Lots of people mad about that.

Originally Posted by JimPghPA
Look on youtube for Mercedes E-Class multibeam led. It already exists. And I remember reading something about the cost to replace those lights if the vehicle gets front end damage and it was way more than $1,000

You say "more than $1000" like that is expensive. Headlights have been more than $1000 for more than 10 years. Had to replace a headlight on a new X7 with laser headlights, and it was around $10,000. Per headlight.

The laser headlights with auto high beams, and pretty much every feature talked about here are pretty spectacular though. The fact they can light up pedestrians and animals near the road, and not illuminate oncoming, or the rear of cars in front, is impressive.

Last edited:
My 2014 Explorer has OEM HID lights that are adaptive and my AMG had adaptive LED with side vision when you turned a corner. Not widespread, but some cars have them.

Originally Posted by 2015_PSD
My 2014 Explorer has OEM HID lights that are adaptive and my AMG had adaptive LED with side vision when you turned a corner. Not widespread, but some cars have them.

Oh yeah, there's also night vision assist which is also a slightly different headlight that uses infrared to see pedestrians.

Headlights can be expensive to replace but the odds of needing to replace them are low. If they're smashed up in an accident, the insurance will pay. If they just fail, you can buy used ones or just repair the broken part and not get the whole assembly. Hella makes some of the Mercedes ones and they're half the price of the MB part.

If a car company can roll out a new light that "improves safety" for minimal cost that can be rolled in to purchase price a car and still make a profit they will. Although we all know that "we the customer" are paying for it in the end.

Originally Posted by mightymousetech
The laser headlights with auto high beams, and pretty much every feature talked about here are pretty spectacular though. The fact they can light up pedestrians and animals near the road, and not illuminate oncoming, or the rear of cars in front, is impressive.

Please, do not use the word "fact" here, rather use the word "suggest" or "claim".

The fact is, all we know for sure is that they will cost more, and they intended to be capable of producing MORE light so if something goes wrong, they will blind other people more.

The solution to headlights is simple. We need to start aggressively getting people off the roads who have deteriorating eyesight to the point where they cannot see using stock bulbs. We need to ticket people and impound vehicles that run excessive headlights. We need to hold drivers accountable for driving too fast for the conditions. If you think a "speed limit" means you should drive that speed (of not over it) no matter what the condition, you shouldn't have a license. Obviously I am using the word "you" loosely, not meaning specifically you.

There is no need for any of this tech if people would just slow down, which is the true cause of the worst accidents. Hit someone going 35MPH or hit someone going 50MPH because you felt you could drive faster due to better headlights, which has the worse outcome?

Last edited:
There would be a big improvement if manufacturers would just use a headlight lens material that doesn't turn foggy and dim after a few years. (Fortunately mine are glass and still clear after a couple of decades.) I think I'll be sticking with my halogens which can be replaced for about $20 per bulb.

Originally Posted by Dave9

Please, do not use the word "fact" here, rather use the word "suggest" or "claim".

The fact is, all we know for sure is that they will cost more, and they intended to be capable of producing MORE light so if something goes wrong, they will blind other people more.

The solution to headlights is simple. We need to start aggressively getting people off the roads who have deteriorating eyesight to the point where they cannot see using stock bulbs. We need to ticket people and impound vehicles that run excessive headlights. We need to hold drivers accountable for driving too fast for the conditions. If you think a "speed limit" means you should drive that speed (of not over it) no matter what the condition, you shouldn't have a license. Obviously I am using the word "you" loosely, not meaning specifically you.

There is no need for any of this tech if people would just slow down, which is the true cause of the worst accidents. Hit someone going 35MPH or hit someone going 50MPH because you felt you could drive faster due to better headlights, which has the worse outcome?

All Toyota Corolla's since 2014 come "stock" with LED headlights. Just as vehicles with ADB would.

Originally Posted by Saabist
There would be a big improvement if manufacturers would just use a headlight lens material that doesn't turn foggy and dim after a few years. (Fortunately mine are glass and still clear after a couple of decades.) I think I'll be sticking with my halogens which can be replaced for about $20 per bulb.

You do know how much a glass headlamp weighs right? I remember those days, the car actually came with plastic ones and I replaced it with those glass ones. Very heavy. Carrying extra around for 200k+ leads to worse gas mileage. They do everything they can to shave every ounce of weight off a car, the less weight, the better the CAFE numbers.

Originally Posted by Wolf359
You do know how much a glass headlamp weighs right? I remember those days, the car actually came with plastic ones and I replaced it with those glass ones.

Mine came with glass headlight lenses from the factory, didn't have to change anything. Aside from weight the downside is they're more likely to be damaged by road debris.

I know the kind of crazy things manufacturers are doing on new cars due to CAFE and it's only going to get worse.

Originally Posted by Saabist
Originally Posted by Wolf359
You do know how much a glass headlamp weighs right? I remember those days, the car actually came with plastic ones and I replaced it with those glass ones.

Mine came with glass headlight lenses from the factory, didn't have to change anything. Aside from weight the downside is they're more likely to be damaged by road debris.

I know the kind of crazy things manufacturers are doing on new cars due to CAFE and it's only going to get worse.

CAFE has been around for decades now. The same people have been saying the same thing since the beginning.

Originally Posted by PimTac
CAFE has been around for decades now. The same people have been saying the same thing since the beginning.

Yes, but in recent years CAFE has been ramped up to ridiculous levels, prompting complex and expensive to repair "features" such as stop/start systems and direct fuel injection systems for tiny incremental improvements in gas mileage that increase purchase and maintenance costs with no little or no benefit to the consumer. It's as though the concept of "diminishing returns" is unknown to the regulators. (I'm sticking with older models myself.)

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Dave9

It absolutely is a fact. BMW already has these systems in current vehicles. How is that not a fact?

Back