Heater Core replacement 1997 Explorer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to replace the heater core in my Explorer. Every thing I have read on line the AC will have to be evacuated the dash will have to come out. Is there a on line service I can join pay a subscription cost with a step by step? I have looked on uTube there is information but not the best. Any ideas? Know a on line service?

You might look at your local library for manuals. On a side note years ago my son owned a fox body mustang and I became very good at replacing the heater core, I believe 3 times. I learned two things: the first is old engines might have bad motor mounts and your engine is rocking more than you know, the heater hose will pull the piping from the heater core. the second thing is someone devised a bracket you can make yourself to braze between the two heater core tubes to make it more rigid, this may or may not work for you. Best of luck it is a time consuming project.

Explorerforum.com is probably your best bet for free info. Therangerstation.com also has a lot of great tech info, but usually more applicable to Rangers.

I haven't heard of having to open up the AC even on the 95+ dash. The dash does need to come out, or at least be pulled back.

I've done it on my 94, but it has an access panel so no pulling the dash out. I didn't have to touch my AC at all.

Originally Posted by 01rangerxl
Explorerforum.com is probably your best bet for free info. Therangerstation.com also has a lot of great tech info, but usually more applicable to Rangers.

I haven't heard of having to open up the AC even on the 95+ dash. The dash does need to come out, or at least be pulled back.

I've done it on my 94, but it has an access panel so no pulling the dash out. I didn't have to touch my AC at all.

Your 94 is a completely different car from the 97. We have a guy that loves dash work. He can have that 97 done in about 5 hrs

Dash has to come out, evaporator box has to come off of the firewall from the engine compartment side to access 2 studs that hold the heater box to the firewall. Replace the temperature blend door and actuator (actuator with a Genuine Ford part) while the dash is out. www.alldatadiy.com buy a sub for your vehicle. We use the pro version at the shop for which we pay a monthly fee and have access to info for all vehicles. You would pay a 1 time fee and have access to your vehicle for a period of time.

I never did the heater core on my Explorer, but on the Grand Marquis, it was a royal pain in my neck. I assume it's going to be same procedure; drop the steering column and pull the dashboard back. Just have to be super patient and do not rush it, taking it real easy on all the plastic clips.

Make sure you test the new heater core (OEM only!) for leaks as a precaution, and consider a heater hose restrictor for good measure. Replace the blend door actuator while you're in there and thoroughly flush the cooling system when you're done.

I completed the heater core replacement in my Explorer over the Thanksgiving Holidays,I was off the whole week. I did join Alldata for a year for this project and it worked out great. Having to remove all the Freon and pull back the dash was very interesting and a challenge. Book estimated a 9 hour job took me double that but I took my time. I did order a OEM heater core for from Rockauto. Dropping the steering column and pulling the dash back to get the air box off the fire wall was a chore. All done everything is working and great heat with no leaks!
banana2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back