Looking for a soft riding car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by 4WD
Chrysler 300

This. I have the "sporty" S trim level, and even that rides very nice. Get a 2011+ with a the pentastar v6 though. Unless you really want the v8 or course.

Originally Posted by Nayov
What car out there is the softest, cushiest riding car, handling and sportiness be darned? Budget, about $10,000, plus or minus. Sedan, 2 door and manual would be nice though I know those are usually "sporty". No Crown Vics, and hopefully no suggestions to just buy a Buick or Cadillac. Does not have to be large or a so-called luxury car.

For reference, in May I bought an '04 Lexus ES 330 and I am very disappointed in the ride quality. I've replaced all struts with Monroe inserts (ya I know, "Monroe is junk"), new LCAs, and lower BJs, but still not a dreamy-riding car.

I'd be buying from Florida because the market is large there for such cars considering the demographics and there also are a lot of old cars (like my Lexus) that are pristine, rustwise.

Oh, did you also replace all the springs? They're probably dead which leads to a harsher ride.

I 2nd the Toyota Avalon suggestion above.. Should be a lot around $10,000 out there. I read a road test review article once a few years ago where they beat Buicks in ride cushy.

Depends upon what you mean by "soft riding".
If you mean the ability to absorb significant road irregularities without undue harshness in the cabin, then you need both low spring rates and generous suspension travel. A Subaru Forester would be a good example of such a car.
Your Lexus is a Camry in disguise and has all of the limitations inherent in that platform.

The Camry comes in the SE model which has big rims and less rubber to absorb bumps and has a tight suspension which is good for sportier handling like going around bends fast, but has a harsh ride and does not absorb bumps well.

And Camry also comes in the LE model that has smaller rims with more rubber to absorb bumps and a softer suspension to absorb bumps, but the softer suspension is not good for sports handling.

Originally Posted by Nayov
No Crown Vics, and hopefully no suggestions to just buy a Buick or Cadillac.
A few posters here are ignoring your "no buick-cadillac-crownVic" rule.
The Chrysler 300 suggestion might work since it uses an isolated subframe from a Mercedes rear suspension for good vibration damping, with no live rear axle to reduce axle-hop naughtiness.

I just noticed this website agrees with our Avalon and Chrysler300 suggestions. https://wheelscene.com/most-comfortable-car-suspension/
The Chevy Impala is on the list too, not a bad choice either. Should be some $10,000 2014 or 2015 Impalas (GM Epsilon II version, 2014 to present day, smoothest).

The Avalon is a good choice but you are not going to get much for $10 Grand. I would go with a Ford 500 if you have a price limit or the Lincoln MKZ or similar product. If an Impala rides good enough for you that would be a great bang for the buck. There are tons of Impala's out there to be had for great prices since they quit making the Impala. Once GM stops a model the price drops quickly. Should be tons of fleet Impalas for sale. The Avalon's are way nicer than an Impala but again, they are a lot more expensive. It's hard to find an Avalon with cloth interior however the Impala's are very plentiful.

Hate to mention this but Dodge 1500 crew cab rides so good that my daughter that can't ride in a backseat without getting sick, rides in it in any seat. Has Falken 20 inch tires and Monroe truck shocks. Makes railroad tracks disappear.

Originally Posted by joekingcorvette
since they quit making the Impala.
Production continues until January 2020. Very comfy.

Originally Posted by paoester
Originally Posted by joekingcorvette
since they quit making the Impala.
Production continues until January 2020. Very comfy.

I guess I didn't know that thanks for the updated info.
cheers3.gif

the REAL lettered 300s , from the old days, are not a soft ride. but ARE tons of fun to drive.

Originally Posted by NormanBuntz
With all of these Lexus and Mercedes recommendations, remember that the OP stated a budget of $10,000. Are you posters recommending 15 year old luxury sedans with high mileage? Expensive to maintain and repair.

Well he wanted comfy. There's also the Mercedes E550, I would say 2008-2009, early 2007 had issues with the new 5.5L engine. Once you get into 2010-2014, the price probably climbs above 10k.

Here's one that even has adaptive cruise control, a 2010 with 114k for $10.5k. Probably talk him down to 10k. That would make that a 10 year old luxury car, not sure if 114k is considered high these days. It would still be a step up from his 2004 Lexus. Those other recommendations are a step down from what he has. The older 2008/2009 models are probably less reliable mechanically than the newer 2010-2014 models. You read about people here dropping 8k fixing a Toyota at the dealer, all cars are expensive if you take them to the dealer.

https://boston.craigslist.org/nos/cto/d/andover-2010-mercedes-e550-4matic/7021523700.html

Lexus LS LS430/LS460 whatever they have now. Perhaps a Cadillac Deville/DTS.

There is the Lincoln Town Car. Even though it's a rebadged Crown Vic, the Town Car will have air suspension and will ride softer.

You could also get an antique/classic Citroen with the green ball hydraulic suspension, or a Rolls-Royce (they also used the same system under license). I've seen Rolls Royces under 10k
27.gif

and the old RR/Bentleys used a GM transmission, so a SBC/LS swap should be easy, and in fact doing so is quite popular amon those classic Euro cars with the GM automatic
19.gif

If anything with magnetic shocks has depreciated into the 10k range, that would be a good choice, too.

You should also consider Koni FSD shocks, if available for your car. And if you find a car with low-profile tires, switch to higher-profile tires (and even downsize the wheels, if they fit)

Originally Posted by vwmaniaman
Hate to mention this but Dodge 1500 crew cab rides so good that my daughter that can't ride in a backseat without getting sick, rides in it in any seat. Has Falken 20 inch tires and Monroe truck shocks. Makes railroad tracks disappear.

RAM trucks are the best riding ever!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back