How long have you been riding now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just went back in time to around 2006 and some of you were riding then in special events in biking...So how many years have you all been riding? We have been riding weather permitting about 2 years,,,in my 70s now,,,was a kid in the 50's riding then..lol

I'm 74, got rid of my last bike a Suzuki T250J when I was 31. I have repeated dreams of finding it, getting it started and taking off for places unknown. Too old and brittle to take up riding now, but I envy you the experience. I do miss it, apparently. I guess it's a better recurring dream than forgetting that I'd signed up for a class until the finals which was my nightmare of choice up until I was well into my sixties.

Last edited:
I always rode bikes a kid, and have ridden most of my adult life. I'm 66 now. I've ridden cross country twice with PAC Tour in '92 and '96, which is a 1,000 mile PER WEEK crossing of the continental United States. Major hardcore. Plus, I've earned California Triple Crowns in '95, '96, and '97 for endurance riding. At the time I used to train about 300 miles per week. More so now than at any other time of my life, cycling is the only place I enjoy a total zen.

This is a video of me on a short segment of one of my regular rides. I ride it 4 or 5 times a week. 28 miles, 2,700 feet of climbing smack dab in the middle of the wine country. I have longer rides that take me to the coast. The cycling where I live is truly world class.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEkOnA2HSbk

And, my bikes. I lick them off after every ride. :)

Scott

IMG_0786 copy.jpg

IMG_1089.jpg

IMG_1093 (1).jpg

IMG_1090.jpg

IMG_1094.jpg

IMG_1101.jpg

IMG_1099.jpg

OP's talking bicycles guys.
wink.gif

Rode my first 100 mile ride in '75. Got away from bikes then came back in '87, raced road and MTB into the late '90s. Very casual now but trying for more time.

SLO_town, you're a tall one and those bikes are flat gorgeous. The SEVEN is art. (don't mention what they're worth here....
wink.gif
)

Originally Posted by AZjeff
SLO_town, you're a tall one and those bikes are flat gorgeous. The SEVEN is art. (don't mention what they're worth here....
wink.gif
)

Thank, Jeff. Yes, I'm 6'5". Both the Saso and Seven are full custom frames, made for me. They are 65cm and 66cm c-t-c (I forget which one is what). Plus, they have long top tubes because of my long-ish upper body and arms. And the tubing was specifically chosen because of my size and leg strength, as well as riding style and type of riding (long distance).

Yeah, the Seven in its titanium glory is spectacular. But that Tange Prestige and Ultimate tubed, fillet brazed Saso is a work of art as well. The Saso has just under 30K miles on the frame. Original paint too. I have a titanium Litespeed as well, a Litespeed from the Lynsky era.

Scott

As a kid and in college, I rode for transportation. When I was 24 (1995) I rode the RAGBRAI ride sort of on a whim, and was hooked forever. Mostly did mountain biking until about 2005, and switched to mostly road biking. I don't ride enough, probably 100 miles/week outdoors in the summer. 5-4 hours per week spinning at the gym year round. Usually do 3-4 century rides each year. I try to acheive one goal each year. 2018 I rode up Whiteface mountain. The year before that was the Rideau Lakes Cycle Tour, 2 day ride from Ottawa to Kingston and back. Twice I've ridden from home (Rochester) to our cottage north of Kingston in a day. (220.5 miles) I need to figure out what my next big ride should be for next summer!

Originally Posted by dadto2
As a kid and in college, I rode for transportation. When I was 24 (1995) I rode the RAGBRAI ride sort of on a whim, and was hooked forever. Mostly did mountain biking until about 2005, and switched to mostly road biking. I don't ride enough, probably 100 miles/week outdoors in the summer. 5-4 hours per week spinning at the gym year round. Usually do 3-4 century rides each year. I try to acheive one goal each year. 2018 I rode up Whiteface mountain. The year before that was the Rideau Lakes Cycle Tour, 2 day ride from Ottawa to Kingston and back. Twice I've ridden from home (Rochester) to our cottage north of Kingston in a day. (220.5 miles) I need to figure out what my next big ride should be for next summer!

Impressive riding, dadto2.

Scott

Rode bikes as kid on the farm with some longer trips to grandma's or a friends 5-6 miles. Tried a stent in college riding the 1 mile but didn't do that often, research and options are alot easier versus back in 98/99. Wasted alot of money not commuting back then. Today I've been riding for 6 years and 12k commuting to work. I've ridden the Katy trail once and want to do it again complete with the side trails. When the Rock island is complete perhaps a full circle. Or maybe I'll do the ride across Kansas, Iowa or Missouri. Kinda holding off on road touring till my boys are older.

Originally Posted by SLO_Town
Yeah, the Seven in its titanium glory is spectacular. But that Tange Prestige and Ultimate tubed, fillet brazed Saso is a work of art as well. The Saso has just under 30K miles on the frame. Original paint too. I have a titanium Litespeed as well, a Litespeed from the Lynsky era.

Scott

When I was all in I rode an Eddy Merckx 7/11 Team and a Litespeed Pisgah mountain bike. Still have the Litespeed, it's an all-purpose gravel bike these days. Sold my LeMond Maillot Jaune to a good friend in Pa who still rides on the road.

Be safe.

Originally Posted by AZjeff
When I was all in I rode an Eddy Merckx 7/11 Team and a Litespeed Pisgah mountain bike. Still have the Litespeed, it's an all-purpose gravel bike these days. Sold my LeMond Maillot Jaune to a good friend in Pa who still rides on the road.

Be safe.

In my heyday I saw a lot of those Merckx frames on the road, and they were always ridden by fast riders.

Scott

Those tall bikes are great and would probably fit me, but the tire clearance is definitely not to my liking. I swore off 700x23 years ago. I converted a couple of my steel bikes to 650B and I find the cush much more to my liking. My favorite bike is my early Rivendell custom, 68x64, 650Bx38mm Compass/Rene Herse tires, SON dynamo hub, Busch & Mueller dynamo light, Nitto Noodlebars, Terry saddle, 44/28 double, 11-32 in the back. It's ready for randonneuring adventure anytime.

Originally Posted by SLO_Town

In my heyday I saw a lot of those Merckx frames on the road, and they were always ridden by fast riders.

Scott

Not mine.
blush.gif
Never could stay with the front uphill. Did OK off road at the local level. Good to see some serious riders around here.

OP sorry for the huge derail. Your joy with riding comes through and I smile too every time I get on. 60 and 70 year old kids.
thumbsup2.gif

Since I was almost 8.

322,991 lifetime total miles, including today's ride to the library. Over 70% of those miles were on my Windsor Profesional, and most of the remainder on my Trek 620.

You guys are way out there on miles and accomplishment,,Im to old for all that,but the feedback was awsome...thanks..it will keep me motivated...

I rode everywhere as a kid, but got my first 'real' bike in 1988. A Cannondale SC500. I still have her, but have added a few others to the stable. I don't race anymore, and that's ok with me, I'm hooked. My son raced with his collegiate team and 2 pro teams until he started med school. Now he's in the same boat as me, and rides because he enjoys it. One on my first plans for retirement it to ride cross country, hopefully with him.

Originally Posted by Wheel
I rode everywhere as a kid, but got my first 'real' bike in 1988. A Cannondale SC500. I still have her, but have added a few others to the stable. I don't race anymore, and that's ok with me, I'm hooked. My son raced with his collegiate team and 2 pro teams until he started med school. Now he's in the same boat as me, and rides because he enjoys it. One on my first plans for retirement it to ride cross country, hopefully with him.

Rode bicycles from age 5 or so to 15 1/2 when I bought my first Honda. Started riding bicycles again in my 60's. Have 5,700 miles on my current bicycle and 5,400 miles on my current dual sport. 71 now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back