GM dealer oil change: Who makes their oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Next year I will probably take to visiting the local GM dealer near my barbershop on a Saturday morning for their oil & filter change and tire rotation special, which is $59.99 and (I think) includes the 6th quart needed by the LaCrosse. No doubt they use their own AC Delco Dexos synth oil. Out of curiosity, I ask, any idea who makes it? Is it rebranded Valvoline or Quaker State?

From what I've gathered here, AC Delco is most likely manufactured by Mobil. And also, the dealer is also likely to use whatever bulk Dexos1g2 5w30 they get in bulk, not necessarily AC Delco.

Yep ACDelco is/was Mobil like Toyota oil. But chances are they will use what ever they can get that is the cheapest that meets spec.

Originally Posted by dadto2
the dealer is also likely to use whatever bulk Dexos1g2 5w30 they get in bulk, not necessarily AC Delco.

+1

From what I've gathered here, AC Delco is most likely manufactured by Mobil. And also, the dealer is also likely to use whatever bulk Dexos1g2 5w30 they get in bulk, not necessarily AC Delco.

Is that necessarily a bad thing, as long as it meets the spec?

Originally Posted by Benzadmiral

Is that necessarily a bad thing, as long as it meets the spec?

Absolutely not. Some will argue that some oils just barely meet the spec and must be garbage while other oils go beyond the spec and are therefore "better".

I always thought GM dealerships put in AC-Delco, and rarely Mobil1 (for Corvettes, a few others). I know other dealerships like Kia for example are likely to stock whatever they could get for cheapest.
Its almost as if GM has contractual agreements to push AC-Delco to dealerships. Anybody know what the arrangement is, if any?

Dealer I worked for til 2008 had a deal for bulk oil and grease with Pennzoil but they had jugs of Mobil 1 on the shelf for whoever wanted, Corvettes or whatever. My Mazda dealer uses Total. That was set up by Mazda here and elsewhere in the world however the owner's manual recommends Castrol

They could be using any Dexos approved oil and have it in a 55 gallon barrel. I have to believe when I see Cadillac dealerships offer a full synthetic oil change for about $25.00 with a filter they have to be using something really low priced but good quality. I don't know what Mobil 1 costs in bulk.

From DEXOS license numbers at least Chevron and Lukoil are AC Delco blenders.

I did not see an identical XOM license for AC Delco.

When was the previously referenced machinery lubricant article released? Was it from "old" GM?

Originally Posted by dave1251
From DEXOS license numbers at least Chevron and Lukoil are AC Delco blenders.

I did not see an identical XOM license for AC Delco.

When was the previously referenced machinery lubricant article released? Was it from "old" GM?

September 10 2019

Several local dealerships around here were owned by Hendrick Auto Group and specifically used Valvoline per their contractual agreement. The dealership nearest me says they have a specific distributor and use bulk Dexos oils from whoever that distributor delivers to them. They also have Mobil 1 jugs and quarts for specific purchase too. It's $20 extra to specify Mobil 1.

Originally Posted by paoester
I always thought GM dealerships put in AC-Delco, and rarely Mobil1 (for Corvettes, a few others). I know other dealerships like Kia for example are likely to stock whatever they could get for cheapest.
Its almost as if GM has contractual agreements to push AC-Delco to dealerships. Anybody know what the arrangement is, if any?

Local Kia here uses bulk Kendall GT1 for both SB and FS, at least they were the last time I was at the parts counter a year ago. I didn't ask about a full dino because I didn't see it listed price wise on their board for maintenance services. The dealership changes here are actually a relative bargain if you buy a "oil change pkgs". At the time it broke down to about $30'ish for the SB and that's with the OE filter and not some no name jobber filter. Of course the oil changes are prolly seen as a loss leader for the dealership. The idea is just to get you in there so they can pitch you XYZ...but if you resist the temptation, sales pitch.. it's not a particularly bad deal for a dealership oil change.

Last edited:
Thought P66 got the newer contract … although the ACD Dex VI that I just put in was a Mobil bottle

A dealer is free to use ANY oil they want....Assuming is meets Dexos specs......But it's not like anyone from corporate actually checks that either!

I rarely used quart bottles of fluids unless it was something obscure like a Getrag or ZF trans or a Haldex diff.

Last edited:
It's hypocrisy at it's best. "We suggest you use only (fill in manufacturer name here) engine oil meeting (their special specs here)", but yet the dealers use the cheapest bulk oil that they can buy. But if a engine problem arises............"We need the receipts of all your oil changes, since you didn't do it here."
Funny how that works...........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back