Ford Mustang Mach-E

And I thought the 3rd gen coyote oil consumption issues were bad for Ford.....I can't wait to see what this thing is going to bring.

Last edited:
Might be a great car, but the worst marketing plan that I can remember. Mustang Mockie? Let's build a car for the future and use a 55 year-old name with a catchy 70's "Mach-1" tie-in. Let's confuse people by taking a niche car sporty car name and putting it on an SUV. Not everyone aspires to own a four-door Mustang. But hey if they only plan to sell 50,000 a year, maybe it doesn't matter. Hard to see how they can claim they'll make a profit with that volume.

Better to call it a Teslord or Fordla… Or maybe a Model E (tie in to Model T/A and Model S/3)

Did you see that it will have a sound effects feature you can turn on to make it go vroom-vroom? Maybe it should just have a recording that tells you how smart you are for buying this car, you're saving money already, see how fast you can go...

Originally Posted by PimTac
That front end looks like the Cheetos tiger.

Using the Mustang name is a mistake in my opinion. Ford should have thought of something new.

I agree. Why Mustang?

Ugly too.

I will be curious to see what the EPA range findings are.
The Taycan boasted well over 300 miles and fell far short.
I don't understand their charging infrastructure; I plan on looking into that.

Folks, Tesla has changed the world.
Flame suit on...

Originally Posted by A_A_G
And I thought the 3rd gen coyote oil consumption issues were bad for Ford.....I can't wait to see what this thing is going to bring.

What issue?

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
I will be curious to see what the EPA range findings are.
The Taycan boasted well over 300 miles and fell far short.
I don't understand their charging infrastructure; I plan on looking into that.

Folks, Tesla has changed the world.
Flame suit on...

Yes it has, in Elon's mind. 🔥

I love it. Tired of the people complaining about the Mustang name. It's got serious performance so why not. Sure the front end isn't the best but it looks good. A lot of people would love the performance and convenience of a fast SUV.
At the end of the day it's another option for consumers. If you don't like it, cool, don't buy it!

Looks way too similar to the Jag I-Pace to be a coincidence....
Even though Ford and Jaguar/Land Rover parted ways LOOONG ago...

Originally Posted by Aero540T
I love it. Tired of the people complaining about the Mustang name. It's got serious performance so why not. Sure the front end isn't the best but it looks good. A lot of people would love the performance and convenience of a fast SUV.
At the end of the day it's another option for consumers. If you don't like it, cool, don't buy it!

At the end of the day, it's not about whether you or I buy it, but whether hundreds of thousands of consumers look at it as more than an option. I'm just making a projection that they are going to confuse people and sell fewer cars than they otherwise would.

There are examples of good vehicles that failed to sell (335d, honda cross-tour) because people scratched their heads and said "what is it?"

Originally Posted by Burt

At the end of the day, it's not about whether you or I buy it, but whether hundreds of thousands of consumers look at it as more than an option. I'm just making a projection that they are going to confuse people and sell fewer cars than they otherwise would.

There are examples of good vehicles that failed to sell (335d, honda cross-tour) because people scratched their heads and said "what is it?"

Sorry but I don't understand what's to be confused about. It's not a regular mustang. You're not going to accidentally buy this vehicle. The people that buy this are going to know what they're buying. EVs are getting more and more popular so it'll either succeed or it won't. I don't understand the hate

Originally Posted by earlyre
Looks way too similar to the Jag I-Pace to be a coincidence....
Even though Ford and Jaguar/Land Rover parted ways LOOONG ago...

Pretty much how EVs will all look due to aerodynamics. Welcome to automotive boredom from here on out.

Originally Posted by Burt

Sorry but I don't understand what's to be confused about. It's not a regular mustang. You're not going to accidentally buy this vehicle. The people that buy this are going to know what they're buying. EVs are getting more and more popular so it'll either succeed or it won't. I don't understand the hate

They'll be confused because it says Mustang, but as you say it's not a regular Mustang. Let's face it, the regular Mustang is a retro car, styled to resemble a 50 year-old model. Other than the retro Camaro and Challenger, nobody is making pony cars. So you named it after a famous pony car, but it's not a pony car. Well you can flip a switch and your SUV roars like a pony car, but you've just got a funny sounding EV SUV with horses running around the exterior and interior.

Please name one car that took the name from another model and put it on a completely different model and tried to convince buyers it was a heritage thing. LTD II? Dodge Dart?

Brands matter. Like when they took the Toyota label off a Corolla and put Chevy Nova on it and it didn't sell or resale as well. The VW Phaeton was a great car that nobody bought because they didn't want to pay a luxury price for a non-luxury brand.

Only 80,000 people buy a Mustang per year, including a heavy number of rental sales. There's just not that many people out there saying, "I'd love to have a Mustang, if only it had more interior room."

Ford made a marketing choice to reach into their storied past to name their electric SUV.
I think they remaned the "500" to "Tauras" to drum up sales; not sure it that worked.
They took styling cues from the 'stang as well.
In my opinion, there isn't much new at all, nothing creative, about this car. Not even the name.
If you are familiar with Teslas, you will understand.

But this is an important car. Many will love it.
A rather conservative shot at a futuristic endeavour.
But that's just me...
The Mach-E is far and away Teslas' biggest competitor.

By the way, when we bought the Model 3 almost a year ago, 0 to 60 times were 5.6 seconds...
The recent over the air update optimized the motor somehow based on captured data.
Under 5 seconds now. I woke up to a faster car.
Knocking off half a second back in the day in my old '66 GTO cost $$ and I would probably break something.

Hopefully Mach-E buyers won't be too confused becasue when the go to Costco to gas up and save a few bucks they will be in trouble.

Last edited:
I don't find the Tesla cars particularly attractive. This thing, while not that attractive either (IMO) is primarily a victim of the front end. Do a bit with the grill, sort of where they were going with the GT, and maybe they'll get a better look out of it. It will start to look like a run of the mill CUvV, but that's. A major improvement over that Tesla model x or whatever it's called..

I find this more compelling than the Tesla. That said, I'd want a GT acceleration capability with 300 mile (vs 235 in GT trim) range to be the slightest bit practical. Even that would be pushing it for a home to Washington dc and back day trip. If I can't make thst run, then the vehicle isn't particularly useful to me.

Originally Posted by JHZR2

I find this more compelling than the Tesla.

Curious... What do you find compelling?
Perhaps I am missing something...
Tesla will be faster, have more range, lots more tech, charging infrastructure and billions of miles of real world experience.
I am always interested in other's point of view; I just might learn something.

Last edited:
Back