Plastic bag vs Car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Driver ran over the bag earlier in the morning....supposedly.

I noticed the issue so I removed the driver-front tire and removed as much of the bag as possible. Noticed a small price sticking out from the outer brake pad that would not budge, so I removed the pad and found a strip of the bag to be stuck inside of the groove.

I was a little surprised that the bag did not fully melt.

Any interesting stories involving plastic bags being stuck to a car?

4C22B6A2-EED6-4A0D-8E7A-F05C3B1F0CB8.jpeg

94E7678A-F027-4002-A8B2-014A3AEED960.jpeg

A friend of mine ran over a full size tarp.. don't ask me how she didn't see it. Supposedly it FUBAR'd things (i imagine it could) and had to have it towed to a shop. I guess it got wrapped around all kinds of stuff underneath and cost her a couple of Benjy's to get it cleaned up. Lesson learned i guess... pay attention.

Last edited:
Not a plastic bag car story, but a plastic bag boat story. 50HP Evinrude on the back of a small Whaler. We hit a submerged contractor bag at WOT. It wrapped around the prop and sent a piston into the head and blew a small hole in the block. Needless to say we were dead in the water. My brother was able to weld the block, replace the head, make other needed repairs, and get the engine running again strong, for several years in fact. The boat was sold to a friend and ran for him for many years as well.

I hate those plastic grocery bags. I wish they would go back to paper. Trees are a renewable resource and paper is biodegradable. I had one of the plastic ones stick to my grill. I was fortunate that it didn't cause overheating before I found it.

Had a driver run over a mattress on a busy 8 lane freeway, it got caught under the vehicle, hot exhaust caught the mattress on fire, which burned the box truck to the ground .
Fun times in a 1,400 truck fleet.

Originally Posted by Danno
Had a driver run over a mattress on a busy 8 lane freeway, it got caught under the vehicle, hot exhaust caught the mattress on fire, which burned the box truck to the ground .
Fun times in a 1,400 truck fleet.

Ok well, who amongst us hasn't noticed a mattress laying in the freaking road just before going over it?...‚...‚

I hit one on a trip about 20 years ago...almost perfectly covered the radiator...kept cruising, and watched as the temperature slowly climbed on the gauge. I pulled over to the side of the road to take it off, and the wind blew it away. Car returned to normal temp, and the journey continued.

Years ago we picked up a plastic bag on the exhaust for the Expedition. It stunk to high heaven for about a week before it finally burned off.

I ran over a tarp once at 70mph and it was not a pleasant experience. Just a mile down the road a pickup truck was parked on the side with a bewildered family wondering where their tarp and some items in the truck bed were.

It is surprising just how difficult plastic bags can be to remove.
You think just a few cuts or snips and then pull; but no....

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Ok well, who amongst us hasn't noticed a mattress laying in the freaking road just before going over it?...‚...‚

It depends. I ran over a car door on the freeway years ago around Fort Lewis. Traffic was such I couldn't move over.

I waited for the inevitable sound of damage or a flat tire but it never happened. They built those Mitsubishi Monteros strong.

When I was a delivery driver(computer installs) I had to use my own car for a few days because the other driver hit a couch on I-77 in cleveland.. there was just no where to go.

Ripped off a headlight and a bunch of other stuff.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter

It depends. I ran over a car door on the freeway years ago around Fort Lewis. Traffic was such I couldn't move over.

I waited for the inevitable sound of damage or a flat tire but it never happened. They built those Mitsubishi Monteros strong.

Yeah..if you're stuck in a lane there's not much you can do about it but that wasn't the case with this lady friend of mine.

I've had a Montero before and they got pretty good clearance even stock. (Mine came stock with a skid plate).. Which made cornering and driving across some of the bridges in the Gorge interesting.... I traded it for another truck, I hated the engine...waaay underpowered IMO. Other than that it was a decent truck... not great but not awful either

Actually mine was the Montero Sport. Those skid plates were a bit of a pain to get off for oil changes. There were two of them and they were stout.

I had no issues with the 3.0 V6 other than the oil weep on those block plugs. That was after 100k and the dealer fixed those easily.

I did a lot of traveling in that rig. It was a nice comfortable highway cruiser. The 4WD system was excellent.

For a wedding prank I once ran a hose up the tailpipe to the muffler, and than put in about 1/4 cup of the dirty oil from the used oil container on one side of dual exhaust.. During the after wedding chase the poor groom thought he blew his engine. I did tell him, finally. He said it took about 100 miles to completely quit smoking. Strangely enough, for the next few months at inconvenient times a big wire tie would attach to my driveshaft. That makes one heck of a racket.

Rod

I had a friend that had a mattress hit him. It blew out of the truck in front of him and shattered the windshield..

Originally Posted by PimTac

Actually mine was the Montero Sport. Those skid plates were a bit of a pain to get off for oil changes. There were two of them and they were stout.

I had no issues with the 3.0 V6 other than the oil weep on those block plugs. That was after 100k and the dealer fixed those easily.

I did a lot of traveling in that rig. It was a nice comfortable highway cruiser. The 4WD system was excellent.

Yeah, that's what I had, a dark blue 3ltr 6 Sport LS. I thought it coulda used at least 50 more hp considering how heavy it was. The 3.5's were better and is what I shoulda got. I prolly woulda kept it... like you said the tranny and AWD/4wd worked great. I had no issues/complaints with it and frequently took it out for fun. With the clearance, set of snow tires and the AWD it did great running up to Mt. Hood to play in the snow. Never got stuck... unlike many others after a day of playing in the snow and with snow falling....

*ditto on the plates..they were a PITA but came in handy many times driving on forest service roads in summer. ...

I had the LS trim as well. The color was Nairobi Beige I think. It was the 2000 model year.

Was the 3.5 in the upper trim line? I didn't hear much about that engine in the Sports. I knew it was in the full sized Montero.

The base model Sport cane with the 2.4 four banger. I couldn't imagine driving with that.

Besides the minor weeping it never used any oil. It ran its whole life on M1 5w30. Other than normal maintenance it never visited the shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back