Elantra tire pressures

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 13 elantra has a door placard for 32psi all the way around. I currently run 34 front 32 rear.

My son has a 17 elantra, his car has always gotten better fuel mileage, his is the 2.0 mpfi, mine is the 1.8 mpfi.

His door placard lists 36 psi all the way around.

Doing some searching on rock auto reveals the same part numbers for control arms, front and rear shocks. So the suspension is the same as is the tire size.

I don't know if the gearing is the same. But i suspect it is.

Looks like Hyundai squeezed out a bit more mpg with tire pressure.

Last edited:
I run 40 lbs all around on my 2017 SE with recommended 36 lbs pressure during summer. This summer 70 mile trip to country computer said 48.5 mpg which is probably closer to 44 mpg hand calculated. I do notice a difference when using rated air pressure. I think you have to also look at your tires. Mine are the T-rated N-Priz AH8.

I also have an Eco Mode which allows me to go to a lower gear sooner and on hills I coast a lot. It is all about keeping foot off gas and gentle throttle for mileage. Other things are secondary.

The body shape is basically the same. I'm sure the '17 2.0 has a better cyl head than my '13.

I'm just surprised they would go up 4 psi on the same suspension and tire. That seems like a lot. I'm going to try 36 and see how it feels, especially in the rain.

Different engine and different tuning. As said above probably different gearing too.

The real way to tell is to cover them, or your garage floor, with chalk. Drive over it (with your normal load of passengers and stuff) and look for chalk transfer. Your ideal pressure is what transfers the chalk evenly across the tread.

A lot has to do with weight, as equipped, and as driven.

Originally Posted by Propflux01
Some of that increase results from GDI. The 36 psi helps as well. I take it your running a 16" wheel? I know 36 in a 17" is one rough ride!

Both cars are the same tire size, suspension and neither are GDI, both MPFI.

Tire pressures (OEM recommendation) is about vehicle weights/loads on the front/rear axles.
It's never about gasoline/diesel engine types, DI or fuel injection/carburretor, turbo or N Aspirated, Euro or americans.
29 - 32 lbs is for actual loads with 5/7 designed passenger capacity , it's weights and it's luggage.........
which is always below tire maximum load capacities.
36 psi is for typical maximum tire loads at typically 100 mph road speed, and normally higher than actual designed loads.
40 psi is for maximum road speed as per speed ratings.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by zeng
Tire pressures (OEM recommendation) is about vehicle weights/loads on the front/rear axles.
It's never about gasoline/diesel engine types, DI or fuel injection/carburretor, turbo or N Aspirated, Euro or americans.
29 - 32 lbs is for actual loads with 5/7 designed passenger capacity , it's weights and it's luggage.........
which is always below tire maximum load capacities.
36 psi is for typical maximum tire loads at typically 100 mph road speed, and normally higher than actual designed loads.
40 psi is for maximum road speed as per speed ratings.

I don't think anyone suggested that engines matter in this situation for tire psi. I opened the thread with the statement that an 18 elantra got better mpg than my 13 and that the 18 elantra was speced for 36 psi with the same suspension , tires etc as my 13 which is spec'd for 32 psi.

A couple of the comments about engines and DI were probably about the mpg.

I agree that the mpg increase is slightly due to the higher tire pressure, but believe that the computer tune, different engine and such play a bigger role. I know a lot of people play with tire pressures, but this can be very dangerous. Also, the little gain sometimes achieved doesn't always outweigh wearing tires prematurely from being over inflated. I watch my tires a lot and try to keep on top of my pressures and wear. You have to do small changes and see where your car "likes" the tires to be. My car likes about 2psi better than what the door says, tires wear even and drives well.

The placard on my 2018 Elantra SE lists the correct tire pressure as 36 psi all round.
I am running on 15" Nexen N'Priz AH8's.
On smooth surfaces, 36 psi is ok in terms of ride harshness.
However, when the road gets rough, the ride quality deteriorates to an unacceptable level. Every bump is felt and the noise level from the suspension becomes intolerable.
I experimented with lower tire pressures and I found 32/33 psi to be much more tolerable for me.
I have not noticed a significant difference in gas mileage at 32/33 psi.

On the FWD cars I've owned over the last 3 decades I run the placard pressure in front and 2-4 psi under in the back.
This when carrying no load in the back. Increase rears to placard when I load it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back