Fram XG7317 20k miles cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
2008 Honda Civic 155-175k miles - filter had 10k on Mobile 1 HM 5w-30, 10k on Pennzoil Plat 5w-30.

Enjoy

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by RDY4WAR
Is that a tear in the ADBV?

No. ADBV was flawless.

Looks good! Thank you for posting
thumbsup2.gif

Glad to see a filter with 20k on it
smile.gif

Did you use the MM at all? What percentage do you let it get to?

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Looks good! Thank you for posting
thumbsup2.gif

Glad to see a filter with 20k on it
smile.gif

Did you use the MM at all? What percentage do you let it get to?

MM was about -4000. I don't reset it until I actually change oil. It typically tells me to change oil around 5-6k miles but I just ignore it until 10k. After all, it's assuming I'm using regular ol' dyno oil right.

It appears it held up well and that is good to know since that's the filter I use on my two Nissans and my nieces' Saturn.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dbeau
2008 Honda Civic 155-175k miles - filter had 10k on Mobile 1 HM 5w-30, 10k on Pennzoil Plat 5w-30.

Enjoy

Looks good. Thank You for c&p. What oil and filter went back in and on? Thanks again sir
smile.gif

Thanks for sharing.
I have the same filter on the Altima(~12K) & Civic(~18K) in my signature. When I do change both vehicles oil before winter, the filter will have the listed miles above on them respectively, with two OCIs on each.

Last edited:
I have to admit, that thing looks great at 20k, as far as integrity is concerned. I have to wonder if there is some way to determine how loaded a filter element is at the time it's pulled from it's duty. Especially on a multi-layer media. It's likely impossible to tell visually unless it's completely loaded up. Thanks for the time and effort posting this.

You do what you want to , it's your money .

For me , the filter gets changed when the oil is changed . Try for 3000 miles on dino & 4500 - 5000 miles on full synthetic .

DIY , it is cheap insurance .

WyrTwister said:

For me , the filter gets changed when the oil is changed . Try for 3000 miles on dino & 4500 - 5000 miles on full synthetic .

DIY , it is cheap insurance .[/quote

Yes and unless you're disabled I know very few people that can't crawl under their car once or twice a year I'm 75.

The XG is good for 20k. Many people have proved it via cut open inspection and UOA.
You can do whatever you like, but you're throwing away money and wasting effort changing it so often.

Originally Posted by WyrTwister

I feel your pain... 20K on a single filter? Sheesh.
I am starting 2 OCIs per filter; man it hurts!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by WyrTwister

Honda Civics are very easy on oil. In fact, Honda says to change the filter every other oil change and that's on their brand filter. Imagine on the Fram.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Davejam
The XG is good for 20k. Many people have proved it via cut open inspection and UOA.
You can do whatever you like, but you're throwing away money and wasting effort changing it so often.

That.... and it doesn't help anything by installing a new filter. Nothing at all. It doesn't make your car last longer.
In many cases, the only benefit is bragging rights, and nothing more.

People change their filter way too often. Unless you are running a "Tear-O-Lator",
there's zero benefit to be gained from changing it before it's life service interval has been met.

Honda doenst think that they have it wrong and spec 2 OCI's on their rather pedestrian "A" series.

New cars put our so few grams per thousand miles a 20K filter is dead easy - especially a premium one like the XG series with wire backing and multilayer media.

I sleep just fine at night going 20K on these.

UD

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back