Bar oil as fogging oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
My chainsaw calls for about 1 tsp of oil poured into the plug hole when storing for extended periods of time, to lubricate the cylinder walls and rings. I have a giant container of bar oil and was wondering if using bar oil for this purpose would be wise? Per the MSDS the bar oil is 95% 30W oil with 5% tackifier added. I figure the tackifier will help maintain the oil in place on the cylinder walls in storage, like a fogging oil. The oil and tackifier would then burn up when the saw is started.

If the tackifier is harmless to the engine, I may but a bit in a squirt bottle and do the same with my other outdoor equipment engines (4 stroke) for storage. I wouldn't feed it into the carburetor as I expect the tackifier may attract dirt. Any thoughts or drawbacks to this?

I wouldn't do that.

Tackifier forms a gummy residue upon combustion.

Remove the spark plug and add an ounce of XW30 motor oil as it has rust preventatives and metal inhibitors. Pull the rope slowly a couple of time to coat the cylinder walls.

You could use marine fogging oil … stored properly an aerosol can would last for years

Originally Posted by 4WD
You could use marine fogging oil … stored properly an aerosol can would last for years

+1

Add a can of marine fogging oil to your next online purchase. Starbrite, CRC, Stabil, Quicksilver, Mercury- any brand in an aerosol can with the red tube will work fine. I would not use bar oil !! But some engine oil would also work ok.
Fogging oil is a bit thinner, specifically designed for corrosion protection, and made to burn off. Besides my boat I also use it for lawn mowers, boat generator, home generator, chainsaw, pretty much anything with an engine.

You are all funny....and now he will have to visit local store and buy that "fogging oil"....if they will have it...

But but but I am sure that he has plenty of 2stroke oil laying around in his garage
smile.gif

Fogging oil in a spray can isn't a really exotic product -- looks like Walmart usually has it.

My 2 stroke oil has fuel stabilizers.

What i usually do is before i store them, add a couple of ounces of oil to the tank, shake vigorously..run the machine and see the heavy smoke then dump the fuel..start it again..run it out of gas then store it.

I probably need to do that to my Stihl this week … my wood pile is just 12' from a GFCI plug, and really enjoying my new electric chainsaw

The best fogging oil is a gas (ethanol free) & 2-stroke oil mix of 10:1
Use for any engine (2 stroke or 4 cycle, no matter)

Run the engine with a small amount of this fuel, until the carb runs dry. Put it away for the winter. Done.
You can use "canned fuel" (like True Fuel) with a lot of extra oil added, and then you don't even need to drain the carb at all.

I tried an experiment and heated a small amount of bar oil in a steel can until it ignited. When the fire burned out I was left with a small amount of black oily substance that won't ignite. This must be what the tackifier breaks down into. I don't want that in my exhaust.

I will run the rich 2 stroke mix as was suggested. Thanks for all the input.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back